laying it all out there....(newbie dumb questions) (Read 1214 times)

shyrunner07

here's your chance to laugh at the newbie...figured i'd ask now though before i get too far down the road and actually appear to know what i am doing.... Big grin weird 1.) When I am running on the treadmill, I seem to build up a lot of static electricity (noticable when i go to touch a button on the console, fiddle with the ipod, etc). Is there any way to decrease/eliminate the static? Why is this happening? Am i just too flabby? Happened to anyone else? Will i wind up short circuiting the console? 2.) Is there any way to kind of guesstimate what my pace would be like on the actual roadway vs what i am doing on the tread? I always run/walk with nothing less than a 2% incline...is there any harm to this? 3.) are there any exercises/training ideas that will help increase my stride length? i have short legs and would like to eventually increase the amount of ground i cover in one stride...is this even possible? 4.) are you sick of my silly q's yet? Tongue thanks for indulging me...who knew there'd be so much for me to wrap my head around when it comes to running?!
    Scout7

1) Humidifier, maybe..... 2) There is no calculation. Your approximate pace on the treadmill will be fairly close to your pace on a similar incline on the road. I don't know if there's any harm to using the incline consistently. 3)Yes, it is possible. The best way to increase stride length......wait for it..........is........more running. There are form drills you can do, as well, but I wouldn't worry a whole heck of a lot right now. Give it about 6 months or so. 4) Not at all.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

When I am running on the treadmill, I seem to build up a lot of static electricity (noticable when i go to touch a button on the console, fiddle with the ipod, etc).
        I would make sure your treadmill is not located near your water heater or any other combustibles.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

I would make sure your treadmill is not located near your water heater or any other combustibles.
          *snerk* That's funny....
            I won't dare laugh at this one....I have my treadmill about 5 feet from our oil heater and from time to time I worry if they'll find my remains if it explodes as I run. Especially when the heater kicks on as I'm running!

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

2.) Is there any way to kind of guesstimate what my pace would be like on the actual roadway vs what i am doing on the tread? I always run/walk with nothing less than a 2% incline...is there any harm to this?
              I used to think that 0% Earth = 1% treadmill to account for no wind resistance on the 'mill. But JakeKnight kindly pointed out that I was full of shit, so you can assume that the incline on your treadmill = incline on the ground. Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

va

Regarding the pace of the treadmill versus outside... Note that treadmills are not that accurate. I think most of the treadmills at my gym record less distance then was actually travelled. I think this because when I do run outside, I am magically a lot faster. Note that I have heard other people say the exact opposite.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

1.) When I am running on the treadmill, I seem to build up a lot of static electricity (noticable when i go to touch a button on the console, fiddle with the ipod, etc). Is there any way to decrease/eliminate the static? Why is this happening? Am i just too flabby? Happened to anyone else? Will i wind up short circuiting the console? - Happens to me all the time. Especially when I am wearing headphones which are wired to the TV sound receiver attached to the treadmill arm. I think it has to do with the charge that comes from the HR monitor hand grips. 2.) Is there any way to kind of guesstimate what my pace would be like on the actual roadway vs what i am doing on the tread? I always run/walk with nothing less than a 2% incline...is there any harm to this? - A treadmill set at 1% grade is equivalent to running flat outside in terms of energy expenditure. 3.) are there any exercises/training ideas that will help increase my stride length? i have short legs and would like to eventually increase the amount of ground i cover in one stride...is this even possible? - Running while focused on stride length is the best way, throwing some long leg stretching strides at the end of your run. 4.) are you sick of my silly q's yet? Tongue - I have been dealing with JKs questions for so long, this is no different. Smile
                  Scout7

- I have been dealing with JKs questions for so long, this is no different. Smile
                    These are probably better......

madness baby

2.) Is there any way to kind of guesstimate what my pace would be like on the actual roadway vs what i am doing on the tread? I always run/walk with nothing less than a 2% incline...is there any harm to this?
                      Solid use of the word guesstimate. That's my input.
                      deb
                      Katew

I'm new to running too so can't really answer your questions. I seem to have the same problem with static electricity on the treadmill too though...nearly blew myself across the room just yesterday when I went to touch the heart rate monitors!! In general I seem to store enough static in my hair alone to power a city block for an hour, so I figured it's just me. Nice to know it happens to others too!

Prophet!

Solid use of the word guesstimate. That's my input.
                          i second that. much kudos.
                          Scout7

- A treadmill set at 1% grade is equivalent to running flat outside in terms of energy expenditure.
                            I disagree. http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id110.html http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id111.html
                            JakeKnight

I disagree. http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id110.html http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id111.html
                              Read up the thread a bit. I've got your back, chief. And since this myth won't die, I say we make up our own. How about: if you walk backward on your treadmill, on a Thursday, when the humidity is above 42% and Mars is in Uranus, you can clearly hear a voice say "Galloway is the devil ..." But only if you set the machine to a 4% incline. I'm working on it. Give me time. And Shyrunner - as for this:
                              I always run/walk with nothing less than a 2% incline...is there any harm to this?
                              The answer is definitely a probable maybe I dunno. Possibly. Personally, were I foolish enough to use a hell-belt, I wouldn't *always* keep it at *any* setting. Constant repetitive motion could cause injury. Trail runners swear that changes in terrain and surface keep them healthier than schmoes always running on flat pavement. So I'd vary the setting, if I were you. Those nifty programs that have you go up and down hills are cool. You might improve faster if you changed things up. And you'd definitely have more fun. JeffGoGreenandWhite:
                              I used to think that 0% Earth = 1% treadmill to account for no wind resistance on the 'mill. But JakeKnight kindly pointed out that I was full of shit
                              I didn't say that - I just mocked your alma mater. Then again, I can see how you'd confuse "Wolverine" with "full of shit." They are practically synonymous, right? Don't take it personally - I've got one of their diplomas on my wall, too. So I'm allowed to mock. And equally full of shit. Go Spartans!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sounds like a bunch of wimp excuses for not doing a hard day's work. Wah wah, I don't NEED to set the treadmill to 1%. Aww, poor guys, that 1% just may kill you Roll eyes Or, put a different way, who gives a stink about wind resistance. When you run outside, you cover interesting terrain. That includes hills. Uphills make your legs work hard. Downhills make your legs work hard. Flat and you work a bit. Treadmills are flat. Add some hill, do some work and get stronger. Run flat and wimp away to nothing. And while I may have great reverence for Noakes, the author of these links clearly points oout that Noakes did not specifically look at the effect of incline of 1% versus a flat outside. That means the website's author is guessing. And I can find just as many online quackish articles that say it is important to add 1% as I can saying it is hogwash. And some of the ones that support adding 1% are honest to goodness scientific studies (rather than some random dude posting websites). So, as the good man in prison said, get busy living or get busy dying. Just sayin'