Need midfoot strike shoes - but not Newtons - Suggestions? (Read 3347 times)

Tiefsa

I have some vibrams - They are okay, but I really don't enjoy them for every run.

Tried out some Newtons at the running store yesterday, but I didn't like these either.

Any ideas for a midfoot strike shoe that isn't Vibrams or Newtons?

Are there any that don't cost a ridiculous amount of money too?

ymmv

I would consider my Saucony Kinvaras and Brooks ST5s to be in that category. They were not expensive.

I don't get it.  I've always thought that one of the advantages of having a natural mid-foot strike was that I can wear just about any lightweight neutral trainer or racing flat.

Runners run

funny that you ask, i just clicked an ad on here for the reeflex from reebok. they are embracing the forefoot movement and theres a little video you can watch where they explain the technology. so you can give those a try maybe.

I don't get it.  I've always thought that one of the advantages of having a natural mid-foot strike was that I can wear just about any lightweight neutral trainer or racing flat.

exactly

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

how about the new Merrell gloves?  don't know much about them except they have vibram soles & are lightweight, minimilist shoes with slightly more heel support (& about 1 oz heavier) than VFF's.

funny that you ask, i just clicked an ad on here for the reeflex from reebok. they are embracing the forefoot movement and theres a little video you can watch where they explain the technology. so you can give those a try maybe.

I would be very excited to get a pair of those if they actually had little faces on the bottom of each nub like the TV commercial proposes.

The King of Beasts

this.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

If your already a mid foot striker why not try complete barefoot instead of minimal shoes. Am curious.

Personally, I'm transitioning to fore/mid foot strike from heel strike. BF helps me feel the difference more clearly than even VFF Sprints, which are thinner than my VFF Bikila's.

bob e v
                    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

TRIing to beat the heat!

Yep.  Cool

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

Some shoes are way too narrow for me.. so it certainly doesn't work to take any pair of light, neutral shoes.

Kinvaras, New balance Minimus, Nike Frees, pretty much any racing flat etc....

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

I love the Inov-8 F195's but unfortunately they fall into the category of ridiculously priced.  They are the closest thing I've found to perfect.  It looks and wears like a regular shoe but only has 6mm heel and 3mm toe cushion.

I use Asics Gel DS Trainer 15 & 16. They have a lower heel.

Some shoes are way too narrow for me.. so it certainly doesn't work to take any pair of light, neutral shoes.

So by all means try on shoes before you buy them to make sure they fit.  But the basic premise of the thread, that $150 (or whatever) Newtons are the default shoe for runners with a mid-foot strike, is just goofy.

Runners run