Saucony Virrata (Read 442 times)

Picked up a pair of the Virrata finally. Best shoe ever. Where have you been all my life?

Happened to look at your log and your shoe equipment, and see that you ran your first miles in them today.  I'm certainly not going to 'judge' you, but it seems like that's a quick assessment of their quality.

I hope you think the same in a few weeks.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

It's not my first pair of Saucony shoes. I think they'll be just fine. But thanks for your concern.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How is this different from the Kinvara?

They are pretty similar to the Kinvara but they're a little lighter, a little more flexible, and a little more cushioned, which is especially noticeable in the forefoot. They also run smaller so I have to wear a 1/2 size bigger in the Virrata than in the Kinvara.

Runners run

SubDood

I've got almost 300 miles on a pair of Virratas, and they are probably my favorite shoes. They are a bit lighter than the Kinvara, and have less heel/toe drop (0mm for the Virrata, 4mm for the Kinvara). I've run a marathon PR in them, and plan to run my next marathon in them. I rotate a bunch of shoes, but if I had to have just one pair, it would be the Virratas.

Wing

Joggaholic

They are pretty similar to the Kinvara but they're a little lighter, a little more flexible, and a little more cushioned, which is especially noticeable in the forefoot. They also run smaller so I have to wear a 1/2 size bigger in the Virrata than in the Kinvara.

You run in the GoRun2 also, don't you? Are they similar? Thanks

You run in the GoRun2 also, don't you? Are they similar? Thanks

They are in the same category (lightweight, flexible trainer that you could race in) but they feel a bit different.

The GoRun2 is more squishy and flexible, almost to a fault--I feel every pebble in the road and on trails I feel rocks and sticks poking the bottoms of my feet. The Virrata has a thicker sole that while still very flexible, offers more cushioning and protection. I like the GoRun2, have nearly 400 miles on a pair, and ran a marathon in them, but I think they broke down a little faster than I like and at times I wish they had a little more cushioning in the forefoot. I've come home from runs in the GR2's that included some trails with my feet literally bruised.

GoRun2 also has a rockered bottom and when I'm standing still or jogging slowly, I can feel a slight hump under the mid foot. It's not really annoying and when I'm running fast it seems to go away, but it's there. The Virrata doesn't have that at all. The sole is pretty flat like you're standing on the ground only softer.

Runners run

Wing

Joggaholic

The GoRun2 is more squishy and flexible, almost to a fault--I feel every pebble in the road and on trails I feel rocks and sticks poking the bottoms of my feet. The Virrata has a thicker sole that while still very flexible, offers more cushioning and protection. I like the GoRun2, have nearly 400 miles on a pair, and ran a marathon in them, but I think they broke down a little faster than I like and at times I wish they had a little more cushioning in the forefoot. I've come home from runs in the GR2's that included some trails with my feet literally bruised.

Thanks Mike! I have similar thoughts about the GoRun2, I started avoiding using them for long runs and on trails, but I still like them a lot otherwise. It's good too know of an alternative next time I shop. BTW, how does the toe box in the Virrata compare to the GoRun2? I like how stretchy the toebox is in the GoRun2 because I have wider feet, but it wears out from the inside (due to rubbing near the ball of the foot) much quicker than some other shoes I have.

To me the toe box in a size 10 Virrata seems about the same roominess as a size 9.5 GoRun2.

Runners run

<Bump>

Virattas are $50.90 on running warehouse with the fb15d code. I kinda started not liking the K3s but love the GoRuns. Haven't tried the Virratas but for $51 I might. Any other thoughts on the Virratas? Go Runs have been awesome and I'm getting another mystery pair to wear test in the spring. My only complaint is that they're a bit squishy. But the toe box is perfect and I wonder if the toe box of the Virrata might be pointier.

Yeah I saw that and I've been debating grabbing another pair. I really, really like the Virrata for easy runs but lately my go-to for most fast stuff and long runs has been the Brooks PureConnect. The PureConnect 2 and the Virrata are (or were) the same $50.90 price on runningwarehouse last week and I chose the PC2.

Runners run

<Bump>

Virattas are $50.90 on running warehouse with the fb15d code. I kinda started not liking the K3s but love the GoRuns. Haven't tried the Virratas but for $51 I might. Any other thoughts on the Virratas? Go Runs have been awesome and I'm getting another mystery pair to wear test in the spring. My only complaint is that they're a bit squishy. But the toe box is perfect and I wonder if the toe box of the Virrata might be pointier.

Box from RW came today with Virratas. I definitely thought price was worth a try. Will let you know soon how they are.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                          PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I got about 400 miles out of my first pair of minimus MR00s.

I got about 300 miles out of a pair of Hattoris.

I'm on track to get 400+ out of a pair of goBionics.

I only got 190 out of a pair of Virrattas.  The sole is so soft I chewed the outer edges very fast.  They felt ok on my long runs, but i never really loved them.

Runner with a riding problem.

bhearn

Damn you Saucony for going to all low-drop shoes.  

I got two pairs of puma faas 550 for Xmas and I love them and wear them for most runs but they are super lightweight and my feet would be a little sore after longer runs in them. Picked up a pair of virattas at Marshall's for $50 or less 1st week of January and they were just what the doctor ordered. Lightweight, no drop, nice forefoot cushioning and my feet feel great after. Love them.