Hardest part of a run? (Read 1164 times)

Getting to the front door. Ewa
    I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
    bas

Hearing the rain against the window after putting on my running gear - and then going out for a run anyway. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Today it was the last mile of my 8 mile run. I was ahead of pace and the slacker in me kept saying, "you can walk a few feet... you're way ahead of pace." Angry
        Mishka-old log

Interval #1...before getting into a rhythm. It always hurts bad enough to make the rest of the workout seem impossible, but it always gets easier. That is...until the last 2 or 3 Surprised.
            Ditto. I'm not sure I will do any 5ks next year. I don't like them enough to want to spend the $$ on race fees. k
            ZOOM ZOOM - I got my best shirts in my 5K's. Well worth the fee.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, shirts...hmmm...my Komen 5k shirt was nice, so I might do that one again (mostly for the experience and the cause). All the other 5k shirts were pretty lame (my HM had the best shirt...black, long-sleeved Brooks technical). I might still do the autism run that is held at my alma mater's campus, too...because of my connection to the school and my nephew is autistic. So I'd pretty much stick to 5ks that have some sort of charity connection. My first 5k was really a fun race...I stunk, but it was a REALLY well-organized event. This next year I will do the 15k that is held concurrently, instead. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I tend to get bored or distracted easily if I'm not running with someone. I feel like I can run all day long when with others.
                  I have to say that for me, since I run mostly circular loops around my house, the portion of the loop INTO-THE-WIND is the hardest part. I don't mind hills. You can see them coming and prepare for them. You know how steep they are and can see the end. Wind is not constant, nor is it easy to judge just how much it is affecting you. Hard to keep pace into the wind for me.
                  Peter Kull
                  Groups: 1000 Mile Club - 1500 Mile Club
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have to say that for me, since I run mostly circular loops around my house, the portion of the loop INTO-THE-WIND is the hardest part. I don't mind hills. You can see them coming and prepare for them. You know how steep they are and can see the end. Wind is not constant, nor is it easy to judge just how much it is affecting you. Hard to keep pace into the wind for me.
                    I had that yesterday, Thought I was going so fast, but the first half of my run was into the wind, so my pace was still the same as usual. The last half I'm quite sure was faster, though. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hardest part of the run? I live where I have to run on sidewalks and along the road. Sometimes the hardest part of my run is not strangling the dumbass driver who won't share the road, and fails to look to the right when making a right hand turn. Does this sound like I've had a recent close call???? Angry Oh yea, sometimes it is difficult to start and sometimes its difficult to stop. Like tomorrow, its supposed to be 70 degrees and I only have a 8 mile run on my training plan for this Saturday. It's going to be tough to stop. Maybe 15??? Tongue
                        when you get to 50+ minutes and realize your not even halfway done

"Our workouts are longer than our shorts" SHS XC 2008

Getting out the door is the hardest part of the run. Then when i'm out the door the begining of the run is quite easy. Usually about 3/4 into a run (this depends on the shape i'm in and the length i run) i start to get tired for a couple of minutes until my second wind kicks in. Usually i can keep this going for the majority of rest of the run. Usually by the end i'm about to collapse but i know that if i'm about to collapse then i ran my best. Also the hardest thing i find about running is when you run and you don't beat your previous time or the time you set for yourself and you get a little bit discouraged. Usually this makes me think well maybe i should just stop now. Done that many of times over the course of my running carear.
                            I think getting the first mile under my belt is always the hardest!