Why don't you vaccinate your kids? (Read 1573 times)

keeponrunning

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Purdey

Self anointed title

who has time to have sex these days...

*sigh*

Sheesh. How long does it take?! (Erm.... that may not reflect very well on me....)

Prince of Fatness

Sheesh. How long does it take?! (Erm.... that may not reflect very well on me....)

How 'bout, "Where there is a will, there is a way."?

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Why give a tiny newborn baby a vax for a disease that comes from having unprotected sex or iv drug use? That doesn't even make any sense. Wouldn't it be more medically prudent to give this vax to older kids or pre-teens? I mean, if your logic is the main reason, then they'd be giving Guardasil to newborns. I realize that there is a trade off between risk and benefit for vax's, but the Hep vax at birth seems to be heavily unbalanced on the "just to be safe" side.

It is not given to babies.  My daughter is 12, and she'll get the vaccine in a year or so.  It's a conversation you should have with your children's pediatrician.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

HBV is given to babies for a number of reasons.  1. It is most effective then (we think). 2. if the mother has the disease, it protects the baby. 3. It protects the baby from the accidentaly needle stick he or she may get the next day.

Best Present Ever

It is not given to babies.  My daughter is 12, and she'll get the vaccine in a year or so.  It's a conversation you should have with your children's pediatrician.

Hep B is given at birth actually. (In fact, Theresa, I'm wondering if you're thinking of gardsil  against HPV?  Your daughter will receive that around 12).    My son who is 24 didn't get it, and was caught up in 6th grade -- he was born in 1986. Hep B is very prevalent in certain populations.  While it can be transmitted through IV drug us and unsafe sex, it is also fairly easly (compared to other blood born viruses) to transmit it without those behaviors.  A substantial minority (25% i i think) of people with Hep B got it in childhood.    I guess those who choose not to vaccinate their kids live is a special bubble in which every single caregiver and all their friends and family are known to be negative, and have the added magic charm of "my child will never ever be assaulted in any context ever before they are old enough to be vaccinated." Until my magic charms improve, I will stick with that crazy science stuff. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yes, I was referring to the HPV vaccine.  Again, though, I would talk to my pediatricain and get his/her advice about other vaccines.  I always asked mine, "What did you do with your two daughters?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

And.  The point stands.  The HIB vaccine is one of the very few that unequivocably should be used in all infants, as early and often as possible since it prevents a disease that still circulates in the community, that kills babies fast, and is hard for healthcare providers to recognize quickly.  The other is pertussis.

After sitting through hours of obstetrical nursing classes, medical surgical nursing classes, microbiology classes, human anatomy classes and list goes on forever... I haven't come across a single reason a healthy child or baby should delay any of their vaccines. Key word was healthy. There are multiple types of vaccines. Some of them are "live" and attenuated (broked up into less harmful versions of the original). "Live" is in quotes because viruses aren't actually living organisms. Vaccinations are good because your child and baby especially have a very limited defense system. Ultimately, you don't gain immunity to things until you are exposed to them. I would prefer exposing them to the less pathogenic version rather than the more harmful one. It is kind of like a test run for the body that shows it "hey, when you see this again, kill it". The child will get "sick" but with something the body can conquer. That is especially wonderful because you can control the exposure, waiting until they are otherwise healthy so the body can focus. The antibodies the baby receives from breastmilk has a very short life span. The baby isn't gaining immunity this way, just temporary protection. Their cells aren't making the antibodies, yours are. The child's cell can't learn to make antibodies from antibodies. For the sake of not getting into more unnecesary detail... Mandated vaccines are for the microorganisms that are most likely to spread in school, day care, etc... Funny thing is, if you don't decide to get your child vaccinated, they may still get "sick" with the attenuated virus that the other child(ren) got from their vaccine... so they might just get "vaccinated" without your permission ;P

Ultimately, Why put a child through getting the chicken pox if they didn't have to?  Why not build up their immunity as early as possible? We can't always control when we, or the children we hope to protect, will be exposed. If they had a safe vaccine for HIV I bet no one would wait saying "they aren't sexually active yet".... Just saying Smile

When one parent chooses not to vaccinate their children, they put my children at risk for contracting the disease that the vaccine would prevent.  And yet their children benefit from the societal protection offered by the fact that I have vaccinated my children against that same disease.

Free rider problems are annoying (if you’re not a free rider).  There are a few common “solutions”, but they all have significant drawbacks

Social pressure: e.g. paint your door red if you’ve vaccinated your child – drawback: free riders could easily paint their doors red too (or rather, in this case it’s difficult/impossible to know who the free riders are), or such public social pressure further galvanizes the resolve of the free riders and worsens the problem

The coercive power of govt. – forced vaccinations, or tax for not vaccinating – drawback: Constitution, and potential for “well-organized” (ie. Corporate) meddling, e.g. introductions of new/marginally or not at all beneficial vaccinations created knowing that they’ll have forced demand

Creative entrepreneurial / Private pressure: McDonald’s won’t serve you unless you prove you’re vaccinated, or 10% discount on CVS generics for all vaccinated people - drawback: good luck with that one…

Apologies for feeding the troll-ee fire, but it’s a slow/snowy Friday…

ps, shingles are really and truly terrible, and hopefully I never get them again...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                      xhristopher

I'm not sure if this has been covered. There is a vaccine for shingles available to adults, BTW.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes.  It is the same vaccine, essentially, as the one for chicken pox given to children and young adults.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm not sure if this has been covered. There is a vaccine for shingles available to adults, BTW.

I'm getting it the second I turn 60.  My grandmother suffered from it for years - it was so horrible!

Best Present Ever

The coercive power of govt. – forced vaccinations, or tax for not vaccinating – drawback: Constitution, and potential for “well-organized” (ie. Corporate) meddling, e.g. introductions of new/marginally or not at all beneficial vaccinations created knowing that they’ll have forced demand

The coercive power of government in this regard is actually well-established.  In every state, students must be vaccinated according to a standard schedule (determined by the state) in order to attend school and daycare and some states have requirements for college students.  The exemptions are fairly easy to obtain in some states, more difficult in others.  Required vaccination was upheld by the Supreme Court in the early 1900s.  So the constitution is not a drawback. 

Most vaccine is purchased by the government at below-market rates.  New vaccine development (or even manufacture of existing vaccines) has little financial incentive for companies and requires govenment support.  That's why we have such antiquated methods for vaccine manufacture.  It's pretty common for there to be disruptions of vaccine manufacture because there are so few factories.  Anyone who works in peds knows that the CDC fairly often asks that certain doses be deferred to insure that the market isn't wiped out.  I can't help but think that if there were a huge profit margin, the supply would be more reliable.

xhristopher

I'm getting it the second I turn 60.  My grandmother suffered from it for years - it was so horrible!

Yeah, my folks got it. My grandfather suffered from it too much in his day and my dad had it once. I know my dad's not interested in going through that again.