Why don't you vaccinate your kids? (Read 1573 times)

henryc

For those who choose not to vaccinate their kids, I have one question: why not?

I don't personally.  I usually let the pediatrician do it

Intentionally Blank

I vaccinated my children twice for everything.  Just kidding.  But I did let my infant daughter participate in a study to determine the efficacy of giving the flu shot to infants under 6 months old. 

My understanding is that even though children get more vaccines nowadays, they contain fewer chemicals and stuff (in the aggregate) than the vaccines we got when we were kids.

But I want to talk about gallowwalking.

Loves the outdoors

The Chicken Pox vaccine isn't currently on the schedule here in NZ, but it's a vaccine that I certainly wished I'd gone ahead and paid for and organised to be done for my children. It's too late now as all 3 got very bad doses of Chicken Pox and were miserable. A misery I could have prevented or at the very least substantially lessened with the vaccine. I realise not every child gets Chicken Pox all that badly, but if they do it is awful to watch. They had the pox everywhere, inside and out. Up their bottoms, in their mouths and of course all over their bodies. It's not always the benign childhood disease people seem to often think it is. My good friend's sister was admitted to hospital and had some heart damage from a simple case of chicken pox.

But whatever. This is one argument which in my experience is completely pointless and frustrating. So frustrating I don't usually bother to engage in it. Like Creationism.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Right on Hereford...

This is one argument which in my experience is completely pointless and frustrating. So frustrating I don't usually bother to engage in it. Like Creationism.

Unlike creationism arguments, the ones on the opposite site of the debate are endangering my kids. That's why I persist. Pointless? Possibly. Frustrating, absolutely. But I just can't stand idly by while Jenny McCarthy and her ilk try to march us back to the Dark Ages.

Perhaps the only thing that will really turn this thing around is the deaths of thousands of kids in huge, headline-grabbing, preventable pandemics. Sad, but probably true.

By the way, thanks for those links and your other contributions to this thread, Trent!

Purdey

Self anointed title

you're a bit scary.

I scare myself sometimes.

I hope I have not been inflammatory either.

Thoughtful and informed responses are always welcome.

The vaccine debate for me illustrates the larger and distressing anti- science attitude in the US. I don't know the actual numbers, but a significant percentage of folks in the US don't believe in evolution, and a large (but I hope shrinking) percentage don't believe in global climate change. One of my favorite quotes is from Mark Twain: " A lie gets halfway around the world before truth even puts it's boots on."

keeponrunning

Chuck:  whether or not you can call either Creation or Evolution 'science' depends greatly on your definition of science.  Neither are actually science, because neither can be proven or reproduced in a lab, which is my definition of something scientific.  They both require faith (as much as evolutionists deny it).  Evolution requires faith that the latest 'missing link' isn't a scam like so many have turned out to be, and Creation requires faith that the Bible/Torah/etc are true.

Vaccinations are science, though, since they can be proven to be helpful/harmful.  

Basically, the point I'm trying to make isn't to get into the creation/evolution debate (since I'm sure we've all heard it before, and a running forum shouldn't be the place to discuss it), but that there is a difference between the anti-vaccination debates aren't the same as creationism debates.  Sorry if this comes off as troll-ish at all, I do not mean to be.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

keeponrunning

Back on topic, I definitely agree with whoever made the sentiment that these people who are refusing to vaccinate their kids are putting others at risk, and that refuses to vaccinate their kids is both stupid and extremely selfish.

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Ostrich runner

I don't know any of my kids' names.  Makes it hard.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Chuck:  whether or not you can call either Creation or Evolution 'science' depends greatly on your definition of science.  Neither are actually science, because neither can be proven or reproduced in a lab, which is my definition of something scientific.  They both require faith (as much as evolutionists deny it).  

... Sorry if this comes off as troll-ish at all, I do not mean to be.

Your post doesn't come off as trollish (although it contains elements of a classic creationist troll), but your post is based on ignorance of what evolution is.  Smile

Evolution makes predictions which can be verified. It can and has been observed in the laboratory. Faith is not required.

And in case the threat gets into a discussion of creationism vs evolution, get your bingo cards out:

keeponrunning

Your post doesn't come off as trollish (although it contains elements of a classic creationist troll), but your post is based on ignorance of what evolution is.  Smile

Evolution makes predictions which can be verified. It can and has been observed in the laboratory. Faith is not required.

And in case the threat gets into a discussion of creationism vs evolution, get your bingo cards out:

a)  Told you an evolutionist would say faith is not required. Wink

b)  I've taken physics classes before.  I know what evolution is, what it states, what proofs they say there are, etc.  I've even discussed it with professors.  Don't say I choose my beliefs on ignorance.  I have agreed to disagree with professors before, and that's what I'll ask you to do with me.  But the idea of choosing beliefs on ignorance comes off as offensive.  

c)  Like I said, a running forum isn't the place to get into the discussion.  

Once again, I'm going to attempt to get this thread back on-topic.  I researched it, and the shots that are absolutely mandatory to attend school are Diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps, and rubella.  Ones that are recommended are pertussis, Hep B, Influenza, varicella, Meningoccal disease, and HPV.  I'm in Ontario, so this may differ from what everyone else has.  

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Is HIB required there?

Pertussis should be.

Evolution is more about biology than it is about physics.

keeponrunning

Is HIB required there?

Pertussis should be.

Evolution is more about biology than it is about physics.

HIB is recommended, but not required.  

Pertussis is strongly recommended, but not mandated for school attendance (which, I agree, it should be)

The professor I was talking to most had a masters or PhD (can't recall for sure) in neuro-biology, a masters in something physics related, and a third bachelor degree, but I can't recall in what area.  He listed them off once...

fast momma!

i have two small girls and they have been vaccinated against everything on time EXCEPT for the chicken pox vaccine and here is why:

It isn't effective, they are already recommending a booster after a couple years and it has long term implications.  Because it is more effective to get the chicken pox rather than the vaccine, you are more likely to get shingles as an adult because your immunity will wear off sooner. Currently the shingles vaccine, which is VERY expensive and not covered by medicare (over $200) is not recommended for adults until they are 60, and isn't recommended for anyone who has already had shingles.

Second and more important READ THIS IF YOU HAVE DAUGHTERS...The chicken pox as many know is more serious in adults. If you contract chicken pox when you are pregnant, you and your baby can die. If you have had the vaccine and not the disease, you are putting your daughters at risk later in life that they might contract chicken pox when they are pregnant when they are likely to be around small children.

Just my opinion (and my pediatricians)

2011 goals: sub 60min 10K

√ run 1st HM (May 29)