Why don't you vaccinate your kids? (Read 1573 times)

DoppleBock

I am not vested in this thread, but

I do find it a interesting logical point - That if everyone made the choice not to vaccinate that they horrible diseases that we vaccinate against would eventually make large scale comebacks and kill many of our kids.  The fact that only a minority choose not to vaccinate will likely not produce this horrible occurence.

But it leads to the question:  What is the tipping point? 

Many of these diseases still exist internationally and with all the internation travel eventually some one at risk will be infected and the risk will be transfered back to "The States".

At what point does the population need to be not vaccinated to produce a large scale outbreak?

I have not read the thread, but how do parents of unvaccinated childeren get them into schools.  Around here proof of vaccination is required before entering the school system?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am not vested in this thread, but

I do find it a interesting logical point - That if everyone made the choice not to vaccinate that they horrible diseases that we vaccinate against would eventually make large scale comebacks and kill many of our kids.  The fact that only a minority choose not to vaccinate will likely not produce this horrible occurence.

But it leads to the question:  What is the tipping point? 

Many of these diseases still exist internationally and with all the internation travel eventually some one at risk will be infected and the risk will be transfered back to "The States".

At what point does the population need to be not vaccinated to produce a large scale outbreak?

I have not read the thread, but how do parents of unvaccinated childeren get them into schools.  Around here proof of vaccination is required before entering the school system?

This is exactly what I wonder.

IMO schools (public and private) should be able to say "no vaccine, no admittance."  If people want to play roulette with deadly viruses they can homeschool.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is a good question, and the answer varies based on the disease.  For example, some diseases (think smallpox) have been eradicated internationally and will not likely ever come back.  Others (think influenza) will always be out there because they exist in other animals and/or because they change over time, rendering existing immunity useless.

The related question is this: if only a portion of the population needs to be vaccinated to create a public health benefit, who decides which children get the vaccines and which do not.  This of course, leads to the question being asked right now: why does one parent get to choose to put my child at risk when they don't vaccinate.

dennrunner

a drunk driver chooses to behave as he sees fit for himself but in so doing put other people's lives at risk. same with folks who do not vaccinate their kids. they choose to participate in behaviour that endangers others.

plus, they reap the benefits of others' having been vaccinated. the only thing keeping their kids safe from disease is the vaccinations of others. these people believe that vaccinating is dangerous, but are happy to partake of a world where vaccination is the norm - happy to live where other people are protecting them from disease and thereby providing them the luxury of this choice. would they choose differently if disease were more rampant? they stand protected by the wall, but do not contribute to it, and that is selfish.

excellent post.

AnneCA

What is the concern about the coctail?  Three antigens in one vaccine is thousands of times fewer antigens than kids encounter on a daily basis just from living in the real world.  These antigens just happen to be ones that may do some good.

Just had to repeat this.  Every child is exposed to a far, far, FAR bigger cocktail of immune-triggering agents every time she picks her binky back up off the floor, every time he sucks on the handle of a shovel in the sandbox, every time she sticks her finger in her mouth, and every time he gnaws on a teether that's been sitting on the exersaucer tray.   Probably my kids did all of those things in the space of ten minutes almost every day before they were 18 months old. 

It's interesting to me how people evaluate risk.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's interesting to me how people evaluate risk.

And many will pop any untested, unregulated "natural" medicinal without a second thought, but see nothing but danger surrounding rigorously tested "big pharma."

~ Sarah Kay

while I obviously believe vaccinations are hugely important - I really don't think berating those parents who choose not to is productive. 99.99% of the time, these parents are not evil people who are trying to kill off your children by not vaccinating theirs. They are simply trying to do what they think is best (based on information they have been given or exposed to) for their children.

We recently did a case analysis on this exact situation, we were taught that the best way to approach a parent is to sit down with them and try to provide the most logical, science-based, clear evidence about vaccines, and let them make the decision. From what I have learned, this has a much higher success rate than calling someone a "bad parent" for choosing not to vaccinate.

but then again, I'm just a childless first-year, so what do I know... Joking

evolution does not require faith and there is plenty of evidence in the DNA of every living thing.

Wow- we're finally in agreement on something......had to happen some time.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Religious Belief exemptions.

My kids are vaccinated but we spent a lot of time looking into them and the risk v, cost/benefit.  Some are no brainers - get them.

But 'big pharma" is there to make money.  Don't be fooled.  The number of mandatory vaccines have increased 300-500% from when I was a child .  I don't think there were many outbreaks of deadly diseases in the 1970s-80s.

The pharma lobby petitions to get these mandated and states stand to lose federal funds if they don't mandate them.  And before someone slaps me about playing the "evil" big pharma please keep in mind that I have been in the industry for >12 years.  While there is much benefit there is a reason so many more vaccines are mandatory.

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A big part of the reason there are more vaccines is because we have the technology and knowhow to make them relatively cheaply, where before we did not.

I have no special love for big pharma, but if they stand to make a little money saving children's lives (rather than giving old men erections or coming up with yet another allergy drug isomer to keep the patent alive, or creating complex financial derivatives that crush the markets as other industries do), then that seems to me a reasonable way to make money.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I wish I could have given my kids MORE vaccinations!  My 9-week-old baby got RSV and had a breathing tube for 5 days.  I couldn't nurse him.  I just sat next to his hospital bed, seeing how miserable he was. There is an RSV vaccination these days, but it's usually given to kids who are at risk.  If I could have avoided that nightmare, I would GLADLY have done it.

I really wish parents were required to watch footage of kids suffering from some of the terrible diseases from the past, such as polio.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I really wish parents were required to watch footage of kids suffering from some of the terrible diseases from the past, such as polio.

I knew a few folks from my grandparents' generation who were polio survivors.  That was enough to erase any doubt that my child have that shot.  Wheelchair-bound or requiring leg braces is no way to go through life if it's avoidable.

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

This of course, leads to the question being asked right now: why does one parent get to choose to put my child at risk when they don't vaccinate.

I am being pretty thick here. How does the parent of the unvaccinated child put your vaccinated child at risk?

mikeymike

This thread is like groundhog day.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am being pretty thick here. How does the parent of the unvaccinated child put your vaccinated child at risk?

For real?