I'm not stepping foot in that place until . . . (Read 915 times)

RSX

I was a huge Roger fan until the allegations (I liked him more than Pedro), and liked Bonds until the home run records became a joke. My hunch is that Roger used when he went to Toronto as Duquette then in Boston gave us the impression he didn't have much left when they let him go. It won't break my heart if Roger doesn't get in.

Jim Rice went to the HOF because of streoids. He was never good to the media while he played so I think the writers held back on voting for him. When he had a year or 2 left of voting elgibility all of a sudden his stats looked better, and he got in.

Village people

All those juiced hitters and Pedro Martinez kicked all their asses.

I saw him pitch at the Skydome once.

Village people

I was a huge Roger fan until the allegations (I liked him more than Pedro), and liked Bonds until the home run records became a joke. My hunch is that Roger used when he went to Toronto as Duquette then in Boston gave us the impression he didn't have much left when they let him go. It won't break my heart if Roger doesn't get in.

That makes sense. He was overweight and didn't even seem to try for those last few years with the Sox. He became a hired a gun and only followed the money. Maybe most players do that,  but the new Rocket Roger who emerged as a Blue Jay was not the Roger who played those last few years with the Red Sox.

L Train

I saw him pitch at the Skydome once.

Me too.  He got rocked that day.   When we went across the border, Canadian customs asked us the purpose of our visit.  We said "To see Pedro pitch".  That anser was sufficient.

But I used to love going to Fenway when he pitched.  They were the rare instances when there was more electricity in the stands when the away team was at bat.

But I used to love going to Fenway when he pitched.  They were the rare instances when there was more electricity in the stands when the away team was at bat.

Yup. The atmosphere on a Pedro night at Fenway on a warm summer night was like nothing else I've ever experienced (or probably ever will again) first hand. All the drums and horns and Dominican flags...and every single person there knew there was a better than average chance you were about to witness history.

Runners run

Here is what gets me about the steroids thing...

even media act like there were no rules against steroids until 2002 so these guys may not really have "cheated".  Many claim Bud Selig is to blame because he never wanted testing and that he knew it was going on and encouraged it to help revover from the strike.  This is usually done with in some fashion of defending the cheater.

fact 1:  Beginning in 1971 baseball's drug policy has prohibited the use of any prescription medication without a valid prescription.

fact 2:  In 1991, commish Fay Vicent specifically said steroids were banned and players risked punishment from their teams as well as from the league.

fact 3:  In 1997 Bud Selig reissued Vincent's statement on baseball's drug policy and also reiterated Vincent's assertion that any players violating the policy "risk permanent expulsion from the game," in addition to any penalty imposed by the player's club.

fact 4:  Many players were suspended for drug offenses before 2002. Though none were for steroids as they were not caught by the law for these offenses.  I'm old enough to remember some wrist slaps for cocaine in the 1970's and 1980's.

But how exactly was MLB going to suspend a player for steroid use without positive tests legaly gained in the workplace, or evidence in a court of law?

Were teams supplying players with "greenies" without a prescription?  Probably.  Those people involved were breaking MLB rules.  Did the league encourage it?  I doubt it.

Yup. The atmosphere on a Pedro night at Fenway on a warm summer night was like nothing else I've ever experienced (or probably ever will again) first hand. All the drums and horns and Dominican flags...and every single person there knew there was a better than average chance you were about to witness history.

This is why I love(d) baseball!

Although I'm not a RedSox fan at all, I love to watch great pitching (even Pedro, or Herschiser, or Clemens, or Zito).... Yes, I said Zito Smile

When pitchers are on their game, the game is amazing.  In 1988 (I think), Dave Stieb pitched 2 consecutive 1 hitters with both 1 hitters broken in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs.  I had the pleasure of witnessing the 2nd game and the hit that broke the no hitter.

(Baseball was designed to be played within the field, with home runs being the exception.  Singles, stolen bases, manufactured runs was baseball that our fathers knew.  Steroids killed the purity of the game.)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Village people

Me too.  He got rocked that day.   When we went across the border, Canadian customs asked us the purpose of our visit.  We said "To see Pedro pitch".  That anser was sufficient.

I don't remember the game, but it was the same night that the Leaf's beat out the Senators in the playoffs and the streets were packed with partying Leaf fans.

We crossed over in Buffalo to go to Boston after they had won the World Series and we told them that we were going to bask in the glory of our World Seris victory. He didn't even crack a smile, he must have been a Yankee fan!

(Baseball was designed to be played within the field, with home runs being the exception.  Singles, stolen bases, manufactured runs was baseball that our fathers knew.  Steroids killed the purity of the game.)

also... strikeouts are at an all-time high in 2012.  In the push for the strategy of 2 walks and a three run homer baseball has become terrifically more boring for me.  But yet attendance is at an all-time high.

So the fans love a whiff, a walk, and a home run.  All I see is 3 plays where 7 guys standing around on the defense didn't have jack shit to do.

(go ahead and call me old... I liked watching athleticism on defense)

I think we should all get off each others' lawns.

Runners run

L Train

Royals fan go to games to watch the fountains, so all the walking and such isn't really a detriment to that.

No Talent Drips

Dei Gratia

I think we should all get off each others' lawns.

thank you.  that's all I've been saying for my 261 years of life.

thank you.  that's all I've been saying for my 261 years of life.

I'm sure I'm not the only one lost with your response.

43.5 x 6 = 261

???

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

HermosaBoy

Speaking of great pitching and PEDs...

Dock was a former teammate of my teammate's dad.  He used to come to our practices in high school.  The man could tell a tale and still throw some NASTY pitches (especially that freaking palmball)...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob