What's your favorite marathon/race? (Read 872 times)

Why is it that RA actually prevents me from sleeping? Anyways, just a curiosity seeker here....but what's your favorite marathon or race that you have ran? I've only ran Nashville - Country Music Marathon 07, and I thought everything was fabulous. Fans were great, expo was a breeze, some little old lady actually took my chip off my shoe with a smile at the end. For further discussion, what places would you like to run a marathon or other race. I'm hoping to get San Antonio in Nov. 08...seems like that'd be an awesome place to run. Also would like to run San Fran. Comrades would be great if I could happen to brainwash myself. Discuss.
      Why is it that RA actually prevents me from sleeping?
      Because you are an excited and motivated runner. You fuel your motivation by associating with others ... such as here. Big grin Picking my favorite race woulod be tough, as I've ran several that were great. In the 26.2 category, races I wouldn't hesitate to do again are the Free Press Marathon in Detroit, the Gasparilla in Tampa, and of course, the Mardi Gras in New Orleans. For a 13.1, it's an easy choice and the award goes to the Dayton River Corridor Classic in Dayton Ohio. For the local 5k scene, there are many that I enjoy.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What's your favorite marathon
        Ummmm. Too easy. Next question? Evil grin
        TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

People who know me know it's ...Hartford! A fall M in New England, 8am start, nice size (3000?), flat, a good BQ race, and there are more NE races coming along if something goes wrong and one needs to do another one.

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

Well, Hartford may be flat, but Chicago is flatter. Chicago was a wonderful marathon. Huge, but I never felt crowded. Flat and fast -- that's where I have my PR (of 4 races), and my first BQ. Constant fan support, interesting neighborhoods to run through. Even though I am trying to collect states (he says, with only 4 states), I would consider running this one again.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

Marine Corps Marathon Way too many people, not as flat or as fast as promised but amazing crowd support and race support by the Marines who (mostly) volunteer.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I didn't find Hartford all that flat, actually. Well it was flat for the first 18 miles or so but those are just warm-ups anyway. It was a nice sized race with an early start on a Saturday within 2.5 hours of me though. And I did break a 5 year old PR. Had they not screwed up my results and made me fight with them for a week afterwards I would probably have more fondness for Hartford. I actually don't have a great relationship with any marathons, though of the ones I've run I'd have to pick Boston as my favorite (it's a love/hate thing, really); Bay State as the fastest; and Big Sur as the most spectacular course. Other favorite races I've done: The Mount Washington Road Race (despite or perhaps because it utterly kicked my ass) The Lake Winnipesauke Relay (lots of hills, pretty course, team camaraderie) The New Bedford Half Marathon (I'd like to hit this one again when I'm in really good shape) Stu's 30K (lots of rolling hills, around a reservoir) The Mill Cities Relay (I like the camaraderie of relays and it ends at a bar) I haven't raced much out of New England as a result of having 4 small chillun'. So someday I'd like to do some of the better races around the country and the world...someday.

Runners run

The only marathon I've run was Steamtown, and it was fun. There was still decent crowd support when I came in at 5 1/2 hours. In terms of other races, I like the Brooklyn Half, and I think I am the only sicko in the world who like the Staten Island Half. I don't race outside of NYC much these days so I don't have any others to offer up.
                  2008 Goals
                • Run 1250 miles
                • Get down to 135!
                • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
                  • I would like to give honorable mention for favorite race to Wednesday's Child 5K on June 14, 2001 in Central Park, New York City. I found out about the race only by chance on the day of the event. There was a sponsor that donated money for each runner, and so the race was free but they encouraged as many participants as possible to increase the donations. There were also free sandwhiches and drinks afterwards--good because the race was at dusk, and there was no time to stop for dinner. It was timed by championchip and there were awards for 5year increment age groups. It was very hot but I finished in 24:56. Daniel, a friend of mine got an age group award. I came away feeling not only that I had a good time but that i helped a worthy charity too. -Jonathan
                    I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
                      After I posted this thread, I completely saw this answer from you coming. I've ran at Percy Warner quite a few times on the shorter loop...I just don't think I can brave the monkeys for a full marathon though.
                      bridgerunner

laced up!

my favorite marathon is the Disney in Orlando, Florida. However, I am looking forward to running the LaSalle Marathon in Chicago, as I have heard wonderful stories about that marathon Shy!

Another Passion

my favorite marathon is the Disney in Orlando, Florida. However, I am looking forward to running the LaSalle Marathon in Chicago, as I have heard wonderful stories about that marathon Shy!
                          With the exception of last year's Chicago.

Rick
                          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Ditto. The Monkey rules. No other marathon intertwines beauty and mental illness so deftly.

evanflein

Flat is boring.
                              I totally agree. My favorite marathon is the Equinox... hilly little local run with gorgeous views at the top. Second favorite, just cuz everything was perfect, was this year's Seattle Marathon. Typical Seattle weather would make this one of my "ick" races, but this year was perfect.