Nutritionals/Gels sale @ Performance Bike (Read 860 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks K. Wow, their shipping is expensive- 7.25 for a box of 24 GU packets? Is that pretty normal for online shipping on these? I always just get them at the local store.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yikes, I didn't even look at the shipping! I'm hoping did has a few other doo-dads to add to the order to help offset that, though it appears that they don't have flat-rate shipping. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, good prices at this place, too...flat-rate $6.95 shipping.

~ Sarah Kay

Ooh, good prices at this place, too...flat-rate $6.95 shipping.
            But where are the jelly beans? Oops, I mean where are the Sport Beans?

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But where are the jelly beans? Oops, I mean where are the Sport Beans?
              I still need to try those. I used to buy regular Jelly Belly beans to run with, but always ended up dropping so many on the way to my mouth that I started using Gu. k

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

When are people taking all these gels and other gooey things? In training? For snacks? I haven't used any for years but I'm debating getting some orange burst Gu's for my upcoming marathon, plus a few extras for practice rounds. Debating whether I'll ever go through 24 of them though. They are $22.49 at RoadRunner with free shipping (for those of us stupid enough to be in their VIP program.) Or I could swing by REI on my way home and pick up 8 of them for $10 and that's probably all I'll use...hmm.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I use one any time I run more than 90 minutes or so. If I run well over 2 hours I might use 2. Never have I used more than that. k

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

When are people taking all these gels and other gooey things? In training? For snacks? I haven't used any for years but I'm debating getting some orange burst Gu's for my upcoming marathon, plus a few extras for practice rounds. Debating whether I'll ever go through 24 of them though. They are $22.49 at RoadRunner with free shipping (for those of us stupid enough to be in their VIP program.) Or I could swing by REI on my way home and pick up 8 of them for $10 and that's probably all I'll use...hmm.
                    Well I am stupid enough to be a VIP but I think it's more out of laziness to take myself off that group. I hate GU and Hammergel goop but I use 0.5-1 every hour for my long runs and I guess it helps. I have tried lots of flavors but the unflavored ones work best for me. Since I am so damn slow on the long runs I end up eating close to 2 of these over the course. Today I have an 18 miler so I'll probable eat 3 of those nasty things.
                    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                      When are people taking all these gels and other gooey things? In training? For snacks?
                      I bought one to practice before my first marathon; since then I've only used what they give away in the races.
                        When are people taking all these gels and other gooey things? In training? For snacks?
                        If I'm going more than 10 miles, I have 1 every five-to-six miles. It definitely gives me a boost. HOWEVER, I'm a Type-1 diabetic... my biology is way different than a non-diabetic.. no idea if it works as well for those with a working pancreas.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I take one about 50 minutes in if I'm planning to run longer than 90 minutes. I tried not doing this once and the last bit of my run felt really bad energy-wise. I haven't run longer than 2 hours 20 minutes yet, so only one is needed. I think pretty much any food works for energy, GU packets are just convenient. In a pinch, I've taken a granola bar along and eaten half at a time, but it gets messy with sweat and doesn't go down so easily in a dry mouth. I found a box of 24 on Amazon for $19 plus $5.95 shipping, which is the best deal I can find. Our local shop had them for $1.25 each. If I just needed a few or wanted to test out the flavors I'd support the shop, but for upcoming marathon training I decided to save myself multiple 30 minute each way trips and buy in bulk.
                            I can't get over how much cheaper things are in the US! A box of 24 GU gels here is $44.95, plus taxes. Sometimes, I've found them cheaper at run expos. Man, we're getting hosed (bunch of hosers, eh?)!
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ya, take off! Seriously, I don't understand why you guys pay so much more...it's not just shipping, 'cause shipping to Canada isn't really all that much extra $$. k

~ Sarah Kay

goat

Finder of good newts

I think pretty much any food works for energy, GU packets are just convenient. In a pinch, I've taken a granola bar along and eaten half at a time, but it gets messy with sweat and doesn't go down so easily in a dry mouth.
                                Just try for things that are easy to digest. I like mini snickers bars... I've even grabbed apples off of trees when I've been on an unexpectedly long run. If you really get up in mileage you want to try to consume as many calories as you burn. I understand this is particularly true for really long runs like 100 milers or 24 hour events. Longest I've been out is 6 1/2 hours - I didn't eat enough early and was definitely hurting the last hour or so.

It's hard to look down if you don't go up