Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

re-read what I said about the police. They will be held to account ...

All else aside, I find this belief that police are always held to accountability before the law a bit dubious.

At the first level, I think it would be difficult to expect police peers and supervisors to treat police completely objectively in these situations -- too much "us vs. them" mentality built in to the job and environment, and too much pressure of loyalty.

I think this is the same thing that happens to Presidents and administrations; they find themselves in a politically hostile environment, and they start rounding the wagons, and lose their belief in transparency. I think this happened to the current administration and to at least the last several.

At the second level, I think that, in theory, grand juries and trial juries are supposed to avoid valuing statements given by police more than statements given by others, but I suspect they actually do (prejudge police as more reliable, that is).

Of course, this is quite an aside -- or perhaps, an aside to an aside to an aside, at this point.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Of course, this is quite an aside -- or perhaps, an aside to an aside to an aside, at this point.

Which candidate are you referring to?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You.

You're clearly an extreme candidate. Look at your log. What kind of extremists runs six and a half miles every day.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

%%%@^$@&

Google that.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

%%%@^$@&

Google that.

Why can't you stay on topic. You people ruin threads, dragging in all kinds of comets.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

%%%@^$@&

Google that.

I put it in google maps and got 4 pages of hits. What do you know.

Feeling the growl again

All else aside, I find this belief that police are always held to accountability before the law a bit dubious.

Yeah....Google "Indianapolis Officer Bisard".

On counter-point, Casey Anthony was not a police officer. 

They system is imperfect but, if the police did wrong in this case, I hope the media spotlight will force proper action to be taken.

Of course, apparently you can approve a program to knowingly allow thousands of illegal guns to walk into Mexico, resulting in the death of at least one Border Patrol agent and countless Mexican citizens, and simply be reassigned and thanked for all your great service with no consequences.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah....Google "Indianapolis Officer Bisard".

That's pretty tragic.

On counter-point, Casey Anthony was not a police officer. 

They system is imperfect but, if the police did wrong in this case, I hope the media spotlight will force proper action to be taken.

Yeah. Except I'd think such a situation is likely to be about judgment calls and gray areas, and inflammatory political pressure in various directions.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I put it in google maps and got 4 pages of hits. What do you know.

That's really strange.  Mostly museums, the first two being air & space museums.  Not to throw the thread off topic.

C-R

Your words  not what I said - highlighted. 

That being said, you still have to believe the system works when someone breaks the law. It is imperfect but it beats some of the alternatives. Also the media will likely not drop this as it fits a standard ratings winning narrative.

and Led - if you really want runners knee then I would suggest trying that ostrich or t-rex form Rich mentioned. I bet you'll be right as rain in no time.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Your words  not what I said - highlighted. 

Good correction. That being acknowledged and out of the way,...

That being said, you still have to believe the system works when someone breaks the law. It is imperfect but it beats some of the alternatives. Also the media will likely not drop this as it fits a standard ratings winning narrative.

and Led - if you really want runners knee then I would suggest trying that ostrich or t-rex form Rich mentioned. I bet you'll be right as rain in no time.

But, are we going to call a media-driven witch-hunt (ok, that's inflammatory) a media-driven political storm "part of the system" ?

Feeling the growl again

you still have to believe the system works when someone breaks the law. It is imperfect but it beats some of the alternatives.

Sadly, after some recent events I'm a cynical old bird and the bolded section is about as far as my faith goes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Good correction. That being acknowledged and out of the way,...

But, are we going to call a media-driven witch-hunt (ok, that's inflammatory) a media-driven political storm "part of the system" ?

good or bad, the media drives the narrative pretty well. Let's see - OJ, Casey Anthony, Diaby Case in NYC, Col North, as spaniel said David Broussard and on and on. They don't have the ultimate say but sure have a big part in the play - good or bad.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

The reason Freedom Of The Press was put in the Constitution was to make the transparency created my media coverage part of the system.  To help hold up accountability.

Sadly, I think the evil flipside of yellow press now has the tail wagging the dog.