coming back after illness (Read 481 times)

I am 45. I started running competitively when I was about 35. For someone with a full-time job and a young child, I was a pretty good runner. I ran my fastest marathon time in 3:54 and always finished my half marathons under 2 hours. I LOVED running. It made me feel strong. It kept me sane. And it just gave me an overall sense of well-being. When everything else in my life seemed to be falling in around me, I had my running.

About two years ago I noticed that I was getting this strange fatigue while I was running. It just didn't feel right. I wasn't able to finish my runs. I went to my doctor who ran tests -- and they were all normal. Pretty soon the fatigue that plagued me during runs was affecting me all of the time. I was just tired -- all of the time. The fact that I wasn't able to run and didn't know why was making me really depressed. I returned to my doctor several times. She ran tests. She sent me to other doctors. They all said I was fine. I knew I wasn't fine. I would go out for a run, get out about 1 1/2 miles and just crash. I'd have to walk back (humiliating) and sometimes couldn't keep from just sobbing as I walked.

Finally, in May of this year, I went to a holistic doctor in Indianapolis -- Dr. Dale Guyer. Among other things I had severe adrenal fatigue, an overgrowth of candida, and h. pylori. I was completely depleted. He treated me mostly with herbal supplements. I feel like a new person.

On July 14 I started to run again -- after a 6 month hiatus. I had lost my endurance and speed, but I didn't really care because it felt SO good to be running again. In just a few short weeks I've built up to 6 miles at a 9:20 pace -- a long way from where I was, but I'm so, so grateful that I'm running again. On Saturday I ran in a 5 mile race and came in 2nd in my division. I'm signed up for a 1/2 marathon in November.

I have my health back and I'm running again. I couldn't be happier.

That's awesome!  Thanks for sharing. I am on my way back from being severely anemic for months without knowing it until recently.  I am feeling much better and less fatigued, but I am still not where I was before all of it started.  I am feeling a bit impatient, and your story helps me put it in perspective. :-)

Looking forward to your half marathon report!

Cassie

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Cassie -- that's my sister's name. Smile

Hang in there. I think the worst thing is not knowing what's wrong with you. It's so good that you know. I wish you well. (Be patient with yourself.)

-Jenny

Julia1971

Congrats! 

I had a minor lay-off last summer - only a month or two - and it was a real kick in the butt.  Nothing like not being able to run to make you appreciate being able to just get out there.

And, I like the order of that last sentence: health and then running.  Good luck in November!

Soar like an eagle...

Hi,

I am so glad to read your report as that is exactly how I felt about 6 or so years ago and still am struggling.  I am sure it's candida, low adrenals, the whole shebang.  It also affestc the thyroid.  Anyways,  my question is : did your holistic docor put you on a candida diet or just treat you with herbal remedies.  What exactly did you do to conquer this disease?

Maggie & Molly

thanks for sharing.   Welcome back to the world of running and good health!!

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363