Sooo....Texans are domineering. (Read 1020 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This Texan is WAY domineering!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

She's kinda the norm!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I knew a Texan (Dallas) who acted and sounded just like Sandy Cheeks...same voice, attitude, demeanor.  She was a tiny, sassy thing.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay

mgc0001

True, it was annexed through an act of aggression against Mexico, primarily so that the Southern states could have a new territory in which to practice slavery (which was illegal in Mexico.)

It was this act of aggression by the U.S. that led Thoreau to write his famous essay on Civil Disobedience. Both Abraham Lincoln and John Quincy Adams opposed the war, characterizing it as a hostile act against a friendly neighbor and an bald attempt to expand the practice of slavery.

(A strong case can be made that the annexation of Texas was the primary precipitating event of the Civil War... as it showed the extent to which the South's insistence on slavery could drive the country away from its founding principles as a country committed to non-aggression.)

yeah, you might want to mention what Santa Anna did too:

He formed a new Catholic, centralist, conservative government which replaced the 1824 constitution with the new constitutional document known as the "Siete Leyes" ("The Seven Laws") of 1835. Santa Anna dissolved the Congress and began centralizing power. The regime became a dictatorship backed by the military.

Several states openly rebelled against the changes: Coahuila y Tejas (the northern part of which would become theRepublic of Texas), San Luis PotosíQuerétaroDurangoGuanajuatoMichoacánYucatánJaliscoNuevo León,Tamaulipas, and Zacatecas.

Plus Texas wasn't part of the Union until 1845, 9 years after winning independence...

Plus the US army helped fight the battle of San Jacinto...Basically, Sam Houston attempted to retreat close enough to Louisana so that the Federal army under General Pendelton Gaines would be able to assist in the battle.  However, Santa Anna, made a stupid military decision and separated his army and was destroyed.  Pendelton Gaines allowed his troops to leave the army in small numbers and dress in civilian clothing and travel to Sam's position...

try this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Passionate-Nation-Epic-History-Texas/dp/B003E7EW3M/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1340143654&sr=8-19&keywords=texas+history

slavery was a part of it methinks, but not primarily, i think the primary reason was Santa Anna dissolving the 1824 constitution that the immigrant us citizens settled the land under...

Why is it sideways?

I definitely painted the picture as one-sided, mostly to "tweak" the Texans. I have to admit, I don't know much about the war. That looks like an interesting read. I have no doubt that there is more to the story than I indicated.