Monday runs... (Read 286 times)

For every Monday I can remember, the runs have been extremely unpleasant.  My legs feel terrible (like today, they felt like something was tightly tied around them), and I frequently cramp and stuff, which makes the runs really hard.  I think it's because I take Sunday off and do nothing.

is that the cause, or is it something else?  if it is the cause, what are things I do to prevent that from happening?  Help would be greatly appreciated because I have a time trial next week on Monday.

Speaking of time trials, I've been running 40-50 miles a week for the past couple of weeks.  Is it possible that I can break 12 minutes in a 3200m race?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Feeling the growl again

I did it all wrong.

Hmm.  Me too.  I ran my best two miles races doing the exact stuff I was doing for marathoning....80-100+ mpw.  I'm sure I could have sliced off a few more seconds with some more specialized speedwork, but not by cutting my mileage in half.  When I was running half the mileage and doing more speed my two-milers were 30sec slower.

Granted, there are some people that just naturally have better speed...3000m Olympic steeplechaser Marc Davis told me he was probably the only person to ever make an Olympic final at that distance never running over 50mpw but he even recognized he was a huge outlier...but claiming ~25mpw is ideal for racing two miles I just don't buy.  The majority of the running public would therefore be doing roughly their ideal mileage fro 3-5K.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Once again you're being deliberately obtuse, the only reason why I used my high-school time was as a reference point for a high-school runner, and show why the assumption that the OP was a high-school kid was a bad assumption.

Obtuse? Andy Dufresne is that you?

Okay, we believe you. It was all about the bad assumption.

Except ... using your high school times as a reference point lends nothing to the argument that it's a bad assumption the OP is a high school kid. It may in fact be a bad assumption but your high school time adds no value to that argument, since we've fairly well covered that 12:00 for 3200 is a much more common time for a high school kid than 9:27.

And I'm not sure what made me think of this but I had a friend was a big baseball player back in high school. He could blow that speed ball by you, make you look like a fool.

Runners run

II Run II

Woah..

Alright.

I used 12 minutes as a number because that's the varsity cutoff.  I mostly ran the 1600 in track, but my sophomore year I ran 12:48 3200 indoors about 1/3 or 1/2 of the way into the season.  I don't have meaningful track times this year because most of our meets got canceled due to rain and I got sick with a few weeks to go.  All I have is that I ran a 5:40 mile indoors like 3 or 4 weeks into the season (without speed training either).

I'm going to be a 4th year runner (17 y/o), and started getting serious just last year (summer between my sophomore and junior year).  I felt I made a significant improvement this year, so I'm losing track of how fast I can run.  My runs usually range from 7-9 miles, and are between 7 and 8 minute pace, although a couple exceeded the 8 (never over 8:30) minute range because of shin and leg pain.  The past two weeks, I have started doing some speed workouts (880m intervals on hilly wood trails), but I only did them once a week.

I'm trying to be conservative with my time goal so I don't go out too fast and burn out and do the 2nd mile at a really bad pace.  However, I also know I'm no where near 9:30 for the 2 mile.  I think the state winning time was around 9:10 for track this year.

dennrunner

I did it all wrong.

You, and Steve Scott.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It seems you're inclined to misinterpret my words regardless of what I write; thanks for that. 

Don't fret; it's a thing here.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

joescott

Hmmm... it appears that my assumption that our original poster was a high school runner was WAAAAY off base.   Evil

If you've run a 5:40, and you feel you're in reasonably similar shape, then my gut would say that 12:00 is probably right on the edge for you.  In my humble experience watching HS runners the last couple of years, I would take your mile time, double it and then add 40-60 seconds.  So, for you, 12:00 - 12:20.  Go out no faster than 6:00 and then see what happens.   Best of luck!  Smile

MTA:  p.s., Let us know if you make the varsity cut-off.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

DaBurger

For what it's worth, I think you've got 12:00 in the bag, with the volume you've been doing, and a 5:40 mile pr (that's now 7/8 months old?) I think you could run back to back 5:55's. Smile I say this because you sound like your head is in the right place, and I could see you having a big improvement over the past couple months with your improved focus.

As far as Mondays feeling tight, I'd try getting 2 or 3 miles in on Sunday.  It might work and get you fresh, and if it doesn't help, it's short so it won't hurt your time trial.

Know thyself.

Woah..

Alright.

I used 12 minutes as a number because that's the varsity cutoff.  I mostly ran the 1600 in track, but my sophomore year I ran 12:48 3200 indoors about 1/3 or 1/2 of the way into the season.  I don't have meaningful track times this year because most of our meets got canceled due to rain and I got sick with a few weeks to go.  All I have is that I ran a 5:40 mile indoors like 3 or 4 weeks into the season (without speed training either).

I'm going to be a 4th year runner (17 y/o), and started getting serious just last year (summer between my sophomore and junior year).  I felt I made a significant improvement this year, so I'm losing track of how fast I can run.  My runs usually range from 7-9 miles, and are between 7 and 8 minute pace, although a couple exceeded the 8 (never over 8:30) minute range because of shin and leg pain.  The past two weeks, I have started doing some speed workouts (880m intervals on hilly wood trails), but I only did them once a week.

I'm trying to be conservative with my time goal so I don't go out too fast and burn out and do the 2nd mile at a really bad pace.  However, I also know I'm no where near 9:30 for the 2 mile.  I think the state winning time was around 9:10 for track this year.

You actually sound pretty close to where I was in high school. I think I was a bit faster than you as I had a 5:23 mile (time trial - never actually raced it) early in my junior year. I didn't break 6 minutes in the mile until freshman year (time trial). I slacked off between junior year cross country and senior year track, but I did manage to race a ~11:07 two mile by the end of senior year (1979). Shortly after that I ran a sub 3:18 marathon (1979 SF Pamakids).

Being young and enthusiastic, I think you will be able to beak 12:00 if you really want it.

ScriptCal

DaBurger

Know thyself.

For what it's worth, I think you've got 12:00 in the bag, with the volume you've been doing, and a 5:40 mile pr (that's now 7/8 months old?) I think you could run back to back 5:55's. Smile I say this because you sound like your head is in the right place, and I could see you having a big improvement over the past couple months with your improved focus.

As far as Mondays feeling tight, I'd try getting 2 or 3 miles in on Sunday.  It might work and get you fresh, and if it doesn't help, it's short so it won't hurt your time trial.

This was my take as well, fwiw.

Runners run

lagwagon

I felt I made a significant improvement this year, so I'm losing track of how fast I can run.  My runs usually range from 7-9 miles, and are between 7 and 8 minute pace, although a couple exceeded the 8 (never over 8:30) minute range because of shin and leg pain.  The past two weeks, I have started doing some speed workouts (880m intervals on hilly wood trails), but I only did them once a week. 

Do a couple miles on Sunday, see if that works.  Also, the notion that "although a couple exceeded the 8 (never 8:30)", coupled with the intermittent pain, suggests maybe you could step up your "recovery" days by going a little shorter/easier on one or two days during the week.   Take recovery seriously and you'll be less injured and race better.  If you go hard 5 days, then take one off, you'll probably hurt on day 7 no matter what you do on day 6.

My money is with daBurger, youre in for a win.  Race day I suggest a 92 second first lap, followed by 5-6 at 90, then pick it up.  (this is my age speaking, in HS I think the first lap of any race I did was way too fast.  I remember fondly the day I soundly defeated the county champion in the first 2400m of a 3200m race).

lagwagon

DaBurger

How'd the TT go?

Know thyself.