Monday runs... (Read 286 times)

joescott

How'd the TT go?

Yes!  I was wondering the same thing the other day!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

II Run II

12:34...  I went out too fast because I followed my friend because he said he was going to run like 11:40.  it ended up being a bad choice as he ran like an 11:05.  It also got like 10 degrees hotter, which didn't help.

I don't know why, but I always go out too fast.  sometimes, I don't even realize it until I start to crash

I'm working my way back up, though.

Anyway, thanks for the help, guys

I don't know why, but I always go out too fast.  sometimes, I don't even realize it until I start to crash

See Jeff's rule #4:  Don't chase numbers.

Learn to run by feel.  It will pay off big someday.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

joescott

Hey, don't sweat it.  Next time you'll know maybe to take it a little easier at the start -- depending on your goal.  Sometimes you gotta get out there and put it on the line.  I've started too fast in more races than I can count, and once in a while I've busted through to a level I didn't expect.  Both my marathon and 5k PRs fall into this category as well as a darn fine mile I ran over a year ago.  I think it's good and admirable, noble even, to take these risks.  Heck, anybody can go out and pace for his current fitness level and run a time consistent with his current fitness level.  It takes guts to lay it out there and take your chances.  Have no regrets.

As far as chasing numbers....  Well, abe_mend is wise, but I'm going to differ with him on this one.  And I'll point out gently that Jeff is a hypocrite (I mean that entirely in a good natured way to both of you, btw).  Cool  1.  I've never known any competitive runner at any level who doesn't care at all about the numbers on the clock or who doesn't like to chase them.  It's part of who we are.  Why do we have a feature on Running Ahead that is all about PRs?  Yeah, exactly.  2.  I seem to remember reading a blog post by Jeff many months, maybe even a few years ago, where he briefly discussed the fascination runners have with their times, and one was certainly drawn to conclude that he is not immune either....

So, I'm truly sorry you didn't hit your goal.  Believe me, that is something I totally get (and anyone who has been at this for any time also can empathize).  But, get back up and fight another day!  There's a whole season ahead of you and you can make a lot of progress in the next couple of months.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

DaBurger

Been thinking about this for a while:

1. Show up.

2. Run hard twice a week.

3. Go fast when you feel good.

4. Don't chase numbers.

5. Race your friends.

6. Don't be a wimp.

7. Appreciate the good ones.

8. Forget the bad ones.

9. Marathons suck.

10. Believe.

here are the rest of Jeff's rules for reference, but I'll say they're more guidelines rather than absolute rules...

and +1 to running by feel, it's difficult but as I've gotten better at it (I don't think anyone ever gets it perfectly) it becomes a lot easier to enjoy running.

Know thyself.