Les Mis (Read 795 times)

Just saw it, and loved it! Maybe Russell Crow could've been a bit more overbearing, but it really was great. Anne Hathaway surprised me--she was so good. Anyone else see it yet?

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Nope.  Saw the Hobbit Smile

steph  

Birdwell

I've seen the musical a few times (broadway tour in the early 2000's and Utah Shakespeare Festival this season) done very well. I love everything about Les Mis. I don't want to ruin it by seeing the movie, which I don't think could be anywhere as good as the live productions I've seen.  Yes I am extremely biased and very closed minded. The movie may very well win an Oscar, who knows.

If you've seen a live performance of it, I'd be curious how you'd rate the movie compared to the live version.

I've seen one live performance before. Not Broadway--just local. I understand your not wanting to see the movie. I liked it a lot, though. Smile

Imminent Catastrophe

Nope.  Saw the Hobbit Smile

Saw The Hobbit in 3D HFR. Wow, that's so realistic it looks fake. I know that sounds weird but that's the only way I can describe it. The action scenes are just amazing. The slower scenes, I'm not sure why but the 48 FPS makes it look like you're watching a play, oddly unrealistic. It's like the HFR is so realistic that you KNOW you're looking at a movie set and not reality. But the amazingness (I just made up that word) of the action scenes easily makes it worthwhile, I think HFR is here to stay, especially for action movies.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

The Hobbit is next on our list!

Jess runs for bacon

I can't wait to see Les Mis, but I'm not looking forward to Russell Crowe. Hopefully the other cast will make up for it.

I already saw The Hobbit twice Smile Once in regular and the other in 3D. I really want to see it in HFR but our theater doesn't have it Sad

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I really want to see it in HFR but our theater doesn't have it Sad

Apparently it is awful to see in HFR, too photoreal.

Imminent Catastrophe

Apparently it is awful to see in HFR, too photoreal.

Not awful. Different.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm looking forward to seeing one or both of those movies this week, especially Les Mis.

Saw Les Mis.  It was on par with what I expected.  My only big gripe is they changed the order of a couple of songs.  The minor gripes were the small deviations from the musical and the book.

I also agree that Crowe wasn't menacing enough.

Knit1Run2

Master of Chaos

I saw it last night.  Crowe definitely could have been harder and more menacing  He seemed to be less forceful and absolute than Javert should be at the start and in the town where he rediscovers Valjean the first time.  However, the first shot of him did a pretty good job of establishing the juxtaposition between Jean Valjean and Javert.

I saw it on Broadway when I was younger, probably in the 12-14 age range and the magic of that performance and the memory of it has always lingered.  So much so that I have seen traveling casts a number of times and read the book in English and French.  I thought the performances were strong.  I liked Fantine, Eponine and Valjean the best.

Amanda Seyfried didn't disappear into the character of Cosette as much as I would like and Eponine's parents did a good job as well, but the recognition factor of the three actors playing these roles took me out of the story a bit.

It is a very well done version, and the emotion is still there, but for me, personally, the emotional impact of seeing it on Broadway with an amazing cast and getting caught up in the characters then means that every other performance has packed less of an emotional punch than that performance and overall, will probably never measure up.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Not awful. Different.

Listening to people describe it, it sounds similar to the "Uncanny Valley" effect.

MTA: Back to the topic at hand, I saw Les Miserables tonight.  Quick thoughts:

I'm usually a fan of Russell Crowe, but man, he really phoned it in.  I found myself making a list of actors who probably would have done a better job every time he was on-screen.  That list included Seth McFarlane and Bruce Willis, if that tells you anything about my opinion of his performance.

On the flipside, Anne Hathaway blew the doors off.  She was also on the list of people that I would rather have played Javier.

Jackman did very well, too.

Loved the cinematography.  I'm not that big of a movie geek that I usually notice things like that, but I really noticed some things they did with color and focus, very effective.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Not awful. Different.

Yes, this.

steph  

I've seen the musical a few times (broadway tour in the early 2000's and Utah Shakespeare Festival this season) done very well. I love everything about Les Mis. I don't want to ruin it by seeing the movie, which I don't think could be anywhere as good as the live productions I've seen.  Yes I am extremely biased and very closed minded. The movie may very well win an Oscar, who knows.

If you've seen a live performance of it, I'd be curious how you'd rate the movie compared to the live version.

I have seen it twice in London. From the movie ad on TV, I can see it is not as good as the theatre version. It is like the Phantom of the Opera. The movie is far from the stage. All the magic in the theatre just disappears in the movie.

Having said that, I was disappointed to see Chicago in the theatre after seeing the movie. The dancers were not as good as those in the movie. The light effect wasn't either.

I will still go to see the movie.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)