Running twice a day? (Read 1130 times)

Think Whirled Peas

Is it the same as running once a day for a longer period? My problem is that I don't have a ton of time to run 7-9 miles in one run, but would like to start upping my overall weekly mileage. I'm not fast either, so I can run about 5 miles at lunch in about 45 minutes, shower, change, and eat during that time. In order to increase my mileage, I'm thinking that I can put in another 3-5 miles before work. But what's better? Running longer in one session or running two shorter runs? Realistically, I don't have much of an option, but I'm curious to know which would be better. Who knows, maybe some day I'll actually find some speed and be able to knock out some distances at a killer clip!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Everything I've read around these parts and in running books suggests that 1 longer run is better than 2 shorter runs for newer, lower mileage runners. I've also read that doubles is the most benefit for very high mileage folks (like 70mpw+). Having said that - I've seen some people around here have had success with doubles who don't run that much. I'm a fairly noob runner, but in my opinion (and taking into account your other thread on running a good HM), the most important run of your week is the weekend (or whatever day you do it) long run. I've found that the combination of that and a mid-week medium long run have the best bang for the buck for beginners like me.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I don't know which would be better for you, but given the lunch time runs I would suggest trying it out and seeing how it works. That is often how my doubles work these days; I do a 5 miler at lunch time, and I do a separate run in the morning or evening. If you are going to double, then I would suggest only doing it a couple of times a week, especially at first. It does take a little getting used to for your body. Make sure that you eat after both workouts, too. Otherwise, your second workout will be a lot tougher than it needs to be. When I was in college, I used to double 5 times a week. At that point, I was running 85-105 miles every week, though, and I needed the morning run to stretch my legs out and get them into useable shape for the afternoon workout. I think that I tended to overtrain at that point, though - probably why I got tendonitis and a stress fracture.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

If you have the time and don’t mind some extra laundry I think that doubles are great. They really helped me keep my miles up and I ran some of my best races after a long stretch of them. Another big benefit was that my ability to recover from hard days improved a lot. Many will say that you need to be a high mileage runner to make use of them, but I averaged a modest 60 mpw. My pattern was same as Run To Win—one at lunch and another before or after work. I’m currently back to singles and lower mileage after a long, hard season, but will definitlely start adding some 2 a days when I start to ramp up again. If you are training for a marathon I will agree that you must do some long singles, but even then I think you can do some doubles on your easy days.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Think Whirled Peas

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I really appreciate it! I still plan on getting a long run in on the weekends, but didn't want that to be the only time I could fit in more miles. I'll probably take RTW's advice and get 2-3 pre-dawn runs in a week and then the daily lunch run. Bonkin, what distance do you try to cover in your med-long run mid-week? Is it supposed to be roughly half your long run distance planned for that week?

juki

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I really appreciate it! I still plan on getting a long run in on the weekends, but didn't want that to be the only time I could fit in more miles. I'll probably take RTW's advice and get 2-3 pre-dawn runs in a week and then the daily lunch run. Bonkin, what distance do you try to cover in your med-long run mid-week? Is it supposed to be roughly half your long run distance planned for that week?
              Hi. Another refugee from Active... I'm following a Pfitzinger marathon training plan (from his book, with Scott Douglas, "Advanced Marathoning") and his medium-long run seems to average between 2-7 miles shorter than the long run (depending on the length of the longer run). Here are some examples: 16/14 19/14 20/15 18/15 22/15 Anything below 12 seems to fall into the category of "easy" run, which you do at a slightly faster pace than the medium- or long- long run.

Think Whirled Peas

Thanks Juki!!!!

Feeling the growl again

2 short runs is not the same thing as similar mileage in a similar run, but if you are time-constrained on the length of your main run you will be better off doing the 2nd run no matter the length.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Bonkin, what distance do you try to cover in your med-long run mid-week? Is it supposed to be roughly half your long run distance planned for that week?
                    I used a Pfitzinger plan for my first marathon and am using Pfitz again for my my next one. I don't know if the distance of the medium long run is related to the distance of the long run - it doesn't look like it to me though. They range between 8 and 14 miles with most of them around 10-12 miles. For me they're not easy to schedule for the morning or daytime - so I run these almost exclusively at night after the kiddos go to bed. I dreaded them at first - now I really enjoy them.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

It's not a question of better or not as good - they serve different purposes. If you're training for distance racing, one long run will be more beneficial because it's going to help with your endurance more than two shorter runs. There are a few advantages to splitting a longer run. First off, it's easier and you can recover faster so sometimes that's gonna fit your schedule a bit better (if you have a coming race and don't want to taper much, splitting a longer run is a good way to go). Also if you're just running for fitness, two shorter runs offer some added benefit as well. Your metabolism is burning hotest right after a workout; two runs means two chances to keep the furnace running hot when you take in nutrition.

Dave

Hey Inertia, folks have been asking for you in the CR Marathon Trainers Group http://www.runningahead.com/groups/CRMarathonTrainers/ Seems like most of the old crew migrated over. We'd love to have you Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I like what Mr. Inertia said best (not that I didn't like others! ;o)). Frankly, if I were in your shoes, I'd prefer getting up earlier and get one long run and call it a day. If you consider changing and showering twice a day, I think you'd be wasting a lot more time than getting up an hour ealier and get ONE run and be done with. A lot of argument about doing one run is that you would benefit better in terms of capillary development (long continous run, preferably up to 2-hours or longer) as well as mitochondria development (seemingly more to do with the duration of the exercise than intensity). So, say, one 10-miler would be better for you than two 5-milers. You would also take about a mile or so for your body to warm up; therefore, your main workout (in toral) would be roughly 9-miles vs. two 4-miles. Of course, you can't really calculate this way... As Inertia said, it's pretty much case-by-case; if you're seeking some quality work, you may get better from doing divided shorter runs (although I always thought it's not quite practical to do "speed" workouts in AM and PM...). Having said all that, I'm actually a firm believer of two-a-day training regime. To me, morning jog (which used to be 45~60 minutes; and now about 30~40 minutes) is a warm-up exercise. I've noticed, for me, if I jog nice and easily in the morning, I can do much better in the PM workout. Here, again, I like Inertia's explanation of getting furnice going twice a day. I've never quite thought of it that way but I did hear about it before. (of course, I wonder why, then, it hasn't qutie worked on getting rid of extra weight I have accumulated lately!???) For someone like you, Power of Q, it may be a good idea to have, say, 3 days a week of doubles and at least twice a week, including on the weekend, to have long runs, say, Sunday and Wednesday. This, of course, I'm assuming you run about 5 times a week. If you run everyday, by all means, mix them up accordingly.