So, I have this non running buddy that tells me a story (Read 485 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

How many stops to rest did he have (where he turned off the GPS).  Or did he just leave his house, glance at the clock, run for a while and come back and glance again not really remembering what time he left?

Most people are terrible guesstimators at distance, so if he had no GPS, I bet his "hour-ish" long run felt far, but really wasn't.

Or maybe his garmin is stuck on KMs lol

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

JML

F. And you may find yourself hanging in a silly thread,  And you may find yourself in another stupid-ass poll, And you may find yourself inside a chat about a large monkeymobile, And you may see yourself as a beautiful man, who spews beautiful prose, And you may ask yourself "Well...why do I post here?"

Two points for this.

On the original subject, I "coach" a friend that has run for my charity team for the 2013 NYC marathon (November 2013) and 2014 NYC half (March 2014).   Coach is in quotes because he does not listen to a thing I say and just does what he wants.   The night before the NYC Half, he admitted to me that his training had consisted of a grand total of 12 miles spread over two runs since completing the marathon in November.   He ended up running a 1:42 for the half and strongly negative splitting the race.

On the other hand, he is 5' 11" / 145 pounds and is extremely active with other sports (swimming, basketball, squash etc).  While I would call him a non-runner, it is a different situation from your non-running buddy.  I call BS on the original story.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There's this one dude who used to hang out around these parts. He never ran, was not a runner. Then he went out and ran a 2:45 marathon or so. And then he went out and ran 102 miles in 13 hours. With just some money in his pocket. Fueled with the single gatorade he bought at the next town 50 miles away. He would only have run 100 miles, but he got lost in his neighborhood upon returning.

JimR

My experience is that new runners or first timers have no idea about distance or pace and no idea how to find out about it.  I think I shattered a friends running dreams when I mentioned the route she thought was 6 miles was only around 4.  Since then I just kind of smile and nod at people when they say these things.  Now if someone's deliberately spewing bs, that's a different story.

ultramarathon/triathlete

There's this one dude who used to hang out around these parts. He never ran, was not a runner. Then he went out and ran a 2:45 marathon or so. And then he went out and ran 102 miles in 13 hours. With just some money in his pocket. Fueled with the single gatorade he bought at the next town 50 miles away. He would only have run 100 miles, but he got lost in his neighborhood upon returning.

I read something similar once in a book called UltraMarathon Man lol

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dean ain't got nothin on Scovill.

Possibilities:

1.  BS'ing you for the fun of it.

2.  Got the distance wrong.

3.  Got the time wrong.

4.  Is a liar, in general.

5.  Has been training very hard, including running, for the past year, and didn't want to let you know that part of the story.

6.  Is naturally very talented, and could have made a small country's Olympic team in his prime.

Since he is your buddy, is he naturally a great athlete?  A very good HS or college athlete?  Won races in elementary school on games day?  If none of those, then prolly didn't happen.

So, this non running buddy of mine, tells me he's been working out. Dropped a few lbs. so now he's 185 lbs and 5-9" and 55 years old, still not exactly in great shape. He hits me up on IM, and asks me, "is a 9 minute mile a good pace for ten miles?"

C-R

Yup.

Oh and I know a guy who can eat 50 hard boiled eggs. Seriously.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Sure he does...the drive to self-promote.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mikeymike

Actually his first marathon was a 3:09. His second was a 2:45. After 3+ years of high mileage he ran 2:27.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Definitely possible, but not probable. I've always regarded most self-reported-non-race-claims with skepticism, ever since friend of mine in HS claimed to run a 15:30 3-miler (that he measured with his car, supposedly) in the summer, only to show up and run like 19:30 for 5k in the fall. I gave him a lot of crap for taking 4 minutes to do that last tenth of a mile.

That being said, your guy isn't some fat dude claiming to run a sub-four mile split in a 5k marathon.  Lots of non-runners who are in good shape and are natural athletes could pull off what he did.

My thought in this case is to keep your skepticism to yourself, and instead strongly encourage him to run a race, all the while praising his apparent natural ability. If the guy succeeds, you can take pride in helping to nurture new talent. Even better, If he blows up in the race, you can have the satisfaction seeing him eat a shit sandwich.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

not sure how a 185 pound guy jogging 9:00 miles is in the same conversation as Scovill.  comparing apples and apple trees there is some similarity.  but the differences are striking.

#artbydmcbride

not sure how a 185 pound 55 year old guy jogging 9:00 miles is in the same conversation as Scovill.  comparing apples and apple trees there is some similarity.  but the differences are striking.

Runners run

Generally, possible, but unlikely. First run "ever"? lie. Otherwise, I'd say sure, possible. Run with 'im.

Sure he does...the drive to self-promote.

Funny you mention this. Talking with a friend of mine that is enamored with Dean, he mentioned he was impressed that Dean ran out to Hopkington, and then back as part of the race.  He shut up when he realized I wasn't impressed and said he's just showing off.  Boston isn't about Dean running the course twice and thinking everyone is fawning over him.