y'all, I need new headphones (Read 2590 times)

Jazz hands!

Yep. Right now I'm jamming to the Sennheiser MX75's or some such, and I know around here they're pretty much regarded as the second coming but I kind of hate them. On the upside, I've had them for 2 years and they're not broken yet, but on the downside, one side usually fills up with sweat within 3 miles, so I have to stop and dry everything out, and if I'm sweating a lot (like, if it's August in Southern California or something) I sweat them right out and have to spend the run adjusting. I've tried all the different sizes of doodads and everything, I think they're just not the headphones for me.

So, does anyone know of great, super sweat-proof headphones that maybe wrap around my ear, that let ambient noise (such as cars) through?

run run run AHHHHHH run run run
      Yurbuds. They stay in my ears and let in ambient noise.
      Julia1971

They don't wrap around the ears, but I've been using the Scosche IDR305s for a while now.  I won't say they're sweat proof, because I have had to junk a couple.  But, I've found them pretty sweat resistent as compared to similarly priced brands.  And, I sweat quite a bit myself.  My local Apple store stopped carrying them, though, so I bought the Sennheiser and Yurbuds to try out.

Edited to fix the link.  I had linked to one with a "remote control" and I'm pretty sure that's not the one I have.  It's probably one of the other two models.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I use the Sennheiser PMX80. I've had them a little over a year and no problems so far. They're very comfortable and don't block any outside sound.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Slice

+1 on the Yurbuds (basic earbud covers). And they're made in America so that's an added bonus!

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Hoodoo Guru

I had the same problem, never took very long to sweat them out.  I don't know the brand, just have the over the ear earbuds that Walmart was selling for about $8.  I assume that they don't sound as good as Sennheiser, but sound quality on my runs is not very important to me. 

The tangents are moot.

Bose makes a great pair of in ear headphones albeit pricey. They have a design that never slip, or get wet, and. Have used them for as much as 3 hours at a time. The issue is that they are about $120 I can't remember the model because last week I was stupid enough to leave mine on the plane. But I will reorder

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

MrH

I've sweated through quite a few pairs. These cheap ones from Phillips seem to be holding up better than any I've tried before.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHQ4000-28-Neckband-Headphones/dp/B004477D0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314296191&sr=8-1

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I use the Sennheiser PMX80. I've had them a little over a year and no problems so far. They're very comfortable and don't block any outside sound.

+1 on PMX80 or PMX70.  PMX680 are annoying because they have a big dangling volume control that is extremely annoying while running.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Cool Jump Suit

Yep!  Me too.  I like them.  The only issue I have is when I sweat too much and the jostling around they do in my ear creates a suctiony / plunger type effect.  That really didn't make any sense I know. 

So bittersweet,
                      This tragedy
                      Won't ask for absolution;
                      This melody,
                      Inside of me,
                      Still searches for solution.
                      A twist of faith,
                      A change of heart
                      Cures my infatuation.
                      A broken heart, 
                      Provides the spark
                      For my determination.

Yep!  Me too.  I like them.  The only issue I have is when I sweat too much and the jostling around they do in my ear creates a suctiony / plunger type effect.  That really didn't make any sense I know. 

Made perfect sense to me. I have the exact same ones, and they do that exact same thing. Other than that I do like them.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

After hearing all about Yurbuds on RunningAhead over and over again, I had to finally give in and try a pair. Today was my first day of wearing them and I was really impressed. They didn't move at all. They were comfortable, secure, and the sound was much better than I expected. I also liked that I could still hear some outside noise (cars, etc.) but didn't feel at all like that was compromising the quality of the sound. Good stuff. 

MTA: I'm going to somewhat correct my thing on above. I still like my old wrap arounds (but not with the earbuds) better because I only have a wire hanging off one side of my head. I don't like wires from both sides.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Julia1971

I gave up on the Sennheiser after the first wear.  They kept falling out.  The Yurbuds fit better, but the left ear falls out after a good sweat.  So, I think I'll do the quarter thing and get them customized.  I feel like the sound is muffled a bit, though, but for running I don't need good sound quality.

xor

I've gone through two pair of the Sennheisers now... and I think I will try something else now that pair #2 is starting to short out.  They've been ok, but they are supremely spendy.  I guess I'll find out if I get what I pay for.

AndySew

spam