Hills!?!?! (Read 1433 times)

JoggingPanda

Hey guys, I am planning on going to the high school today and running the track. I am aiming for at least 2 laps nonstop. I would like three or four laps.

I am attempting this at the track because where I live I have hills either way i run from or to my house. I think the hills may be limiting the distance I could run all at once. So I am going to take them out of the equation and see if I can go further.

Is this beneficial in any way? I know being able to run hils for distance can only help. But, this early into my training would subtracting the hills and going for more distance benefit me in any way?

#artbydmcbride

Personally I love running down hills, but you usually have to run up them at some point......getting more distance in is the ideal, so if the track does that for you, that's great.    I find it easier to run through neighborhoods than around and around an oval, but definitely try it!

Runners run

JoggingPanda

Thanks for the response. I think I asked the wrong question in the original post I should have asked if anyone could forsee any negative side effects of me doing this.

Ileneforward you are right distance is the goal so I think if I go farther without the hills im helping my specific goals along.

But, this early into my training would subtracting the hills and going for more distance benefit me in any way?

I think so.  In general, I think you're fortunate to have so many hilly routes available to you but I think there is some benefit to running flat routes sometimes to a.) keep some of your easy days very easy, and b.) to stretch out your long runs without it becoming a brutal effort.

Runners run

xor

Mix it up.  Don't subtract out the hills all the time... if for nothing else, if you start doing lots of lil tiny ovals, your brain may revolt.  Some days go for flat, some days go for a few hills, some days do a bit of both.  One day every now and then, do a gnarly hill or two.

Mixing it up makes life fun.

My SO lives in a very small town.  It's hard to get in a longer run (by my standards) without running the same little streets over and over again.  And I can't run the two highways that feed the town because it isn't very safe.  But there is a really nice high school track.  So my run involves a few loops on the track, a lot of the streets, and a few more loops on the track.  Weee!

fast momma!

I think if you are early enough in your training that you are hoping to do two laps consecutively, then any running is good. If you are more motivated to get out and run on the flat track then to drag your bum up the hills by your house, go for it. I also live where everything is uphill or downhill (and windy) and i have driven to the highway for flat to get runs in. I also have a treadmill so that i have NO excuse be it weather, hills, wind, dark, animals, etc.  Whatever drives you to be healthier, do it. Just remember you are burning more calories on a high school track than every person sitting on their couch watching TV! keep up the good work!

2011 goals: sub 60min 10K

√ run 1st HM (May 29)

+1 to mix it up. Give your body a break with some diversity. If the track is next to some xc trails, you might try a lap of the track, then a bit of trail (maybe a couple min out, then back; or alternate. But if the hills are causing you to struggle, then drop them from some runs.

Another thought is how hard are you running? Can you talk while running the hills? If not, you might need to slow down - maybe walk the uphills, run the downs.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                JoggingPanda

Aktrail- It does not matter if I am running my hilly street route or the track when I am running I can't hold a conversation. My lungs can't handle it.

Yeah, I will keep the hills. But there are times I think I will definitely use the track to see what i can do on a flat surface.

I think it is more of a mental thing with the hills and me. I see a big hill looming in front of me and it kind of beats my will power out of me a little. At least that is what i think is going on. I noticed recently that i keep running a little farther everytime I run teh street route but i always stop just before or at the begining of the hill that leads to my home.

Today at the track I ran two consecutive laps with no stopping or walking so I was happy with that. The limiting factor today was that it was hot as hell out there, when I was running i had sweat in my eyes ears and everywhere else. So I called it good at .5 mile.

One thing I noticed is I have a tendency to want to speed up, while I am running. I can run for a while at a nice easy pace where my breathing can keep up with me muscles need for oxygen. Then at times I would find myself gasping, so i slowed down and realized how much faster i had started going. I had to focus on pace the whole 2 laps, and even then if my mind wondered i would find myself running to fast and gasping for air.

DespiteMyself

... I think it is more of a mental thing with the hills and me. I see a big hill looming in front of me and it kind of beats my will power out of me a little.

Yeah, I don't like 'dem hilly things either. But the ones I do tackle, I attack them like I'm running into a strong wind ... head down, concentrate, talk myself through the whole thing, even count out loud with each step ... and before I know it I'm up the hill (gasping but up there).

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot run," then by all means RUN, and the voice will be silenced.

Jiggle Monster

One thing I noticed is I have a tendency to want to speed up, while I am running. I can run for a while at a nice easy pace where my breathing can keep up with me muscles need for oxygen. Then at times I would find myself gasping, so i slowed down and realized how much faster i had started going. I had to focus on pace the whole 2 laps, and even then if my mind wondered i would find myself running to fast and gasping for air.

You've just found how to run longer and further. Learn to keep the effort relatively constant at a level where you can talk. Try to be able to talk throughout your run. When you're first starting, I know it's hard to run and talk and talk at the same time, but it's a worthwhile goal to be able to run further. If your hills are really steep and long (relatively), then you may have to hike them until you build up enough strength and endurance to run them. But use the gentler, smaller hills to start building strength and a better sense of constant easy effort. I sometimes have a tendency to want to fartlek on hills by attacking the uphill, but sometimes - on the easy uphills - it's fun to try to whistle or sing. Definitely slows me right down.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      JoggingPanda

I smashed through that last hill the biggest and longest of em. But when i got to the top i had to walk half a telephone pole length then i ran the 3 telephone lengths to finish. By far the farthest i have made it before having to walk, oissed at myself that i couldnt force out the last few pole lengths. I am mentally weak, and need to work on it.

xor

telephone pole lengths??

DespiteMyself

I smashed through that last hill the biggest and longest of em. But when i got to the top i had to walk half a telephone pole length then i ran the 3 telephone lengths to finish. By far the farthest i have made it before having to walk, oissed at myself that i couldnt force out the last few pole lengths. I am mentally weak, and need to work on it.

JP, recognizing your weaknesses  opportunities for improvements and finding ways to overcome them doesn't sound like mental weakness to me ... sounds like mental fortitude. Every one of your posts shows you've done something more than the time before ... you're doing it, girl!

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot run," then by all means RUN, and the voice will be silenced.

Jiggle Monster

JoggingPanda

JP, recognizing your weaknesses  opportunities for improvements and finding ways to overcome them doesn't sound like mental weakness to me ... sounds like mental fortitude. Every one of your posts shows you've done something more than the time before ... you're doing it, girl!

Girl?Angry I know you meant man  Wink right?

Srlopez yeah i keep track of my distances walked by how many telephone pole lengths i walk.

DespiteMyself

Girl?Angry I know you meant man  Wink right?

Good grief, I'll just shut up now!

Jiggle Monster