So Close! (Read 785 times)

My main reason for getting back into running at the beginning of last year was to see if I could break 5 minutes in the mile again (at the age of 30). Just wanted to do it for the sake of doing it, really. I haven't made many attempts at running a mile but the majority of those few attempts have been on our treadmill at work. It serves a dual-purpose really. We have gym records for what they named the Bragging Rights and the mile record is one of them. That having been said, I went into the gym with a mission today. I put the treadmill at 12.3 miles per hour and just went for it. After all was said and done, I finished my mile in a time of 5 minutes and 1 second. So close! At least now I know what I need to do to break 5. I'll just have to set it at 12.4, instead. Big grin Running so fast on the treadmill is probably ridiculous to most people... and I'm probably a moron for doing it (I'm still waiting for the day I go flying off the back of the stupid contraption)... but at the same time, there aren't many mile races to compete in around here where I wouldn't end up getting smoked by a bunch of high school or college runners. That doesn't sound fun to me. Hopefully, I'll be able to achieve the time I'm hoping for on the treadmill sometime within the next few weeks and then as the weather gets nicer, I'll give it a go on the middle school track by me. Chris
    mikeymike

Get in a race and get smoked by a bunch of highschool and college kids! Seriously, you should. Treadmills are unreliable anyway. Don't you want to know for sure? Just the other day I decided that one of my running goals for 2007 is to break 5 for the mile again. Something I haven't done since, I think, high school. I was inspired by a friend who did it after several tries at one of the BU indoor mini meets that they have over the holidays. He's 43 years old and had not run sub-5 since high school but on December 30, 2006 he ran 4:59.14 at Boston University. He got smoked by a lot of high school and college kids (and some guys older than him) but he beat a lot of guys too. And he broke 5.

Runners run

Yeah, I'd definitely want to know for sure and even if I'm able to do it on the treadmill, I still wouldn't technically count it as an official sub 5 mile. Like you said, the treadmill is unreliable... not to mention the fact that there is debate as to how accurately it even compares to running outside. My problem is that I don't know where to begin in order to find any open track meets around here. I asked at a couple of the local running stores but they didn't really have any idea either.
          You're more likely to find a college meet with open events rather than HS, so check with the nearby Universities...I don't know about D-1 or D-2, but D-3 colleges do run the true mile now INDOORS only, instead of the 1500....so if there are any small schools nearby with indoor tracks, check them out. Outdoors you'd be out of luck because they run the 1500.... Also, check with any running/track clubs around larger cities that will have open meets in the spring/summer. Then you can beat a bunch of older Masters runners....although be prepared to get smoked by a few.....
            You're more likely to find a college meet with open events rather than HS, so check with the nearby Universities...I don't know about D-1 or D-2, but D-3 colleges do run the true mile now INDOORS only, instead of the 1500....so if there are any small schools nearby with indoor tracks, check them out. Outdoors you'd be out of luck because they run the 1500.... Also, check with any running/track clubs around larger cities that will have open meets in the spring/summer. Then you can beat a bunch of older Masters runners....although be prepared to get smoked by a few.....
            Thanks for the info! It looks like you don't live too far away from me. Any idea what might be in our area later this year? I live in Columbus, Ohio.
              Oh yeah yeah, I went to school at Kenyon College in Gambier so I went to all the meets in the Columbus area..... The DIII schools with indoor meets are: 1) Capital 2) Otterbein 3) Denison and 4) Kenyon - we just got the most amazing new indoor facility $60mil put in last year so I'm sure we're gonna have a few meets....it's a NICE track. Of course we got it just as I was leaving Tongue - I know I've seen some open runners at least at the Capital and Otterbein meets.... And you might prefer running against DIII runners than, say, OSU. I know I would. Big grin Just call up the track coaches at these schools (D3 Coaches aren't very busy, heheh), and I'm sure they would be glad to tell you what meets they have for open runners or how that works. Might be a small fee....