Stress fracture recovery: lifting weights? (Read 206 times)

From the Internet.

I appear to have a stress fracture in my left tibia Sad I just had the MRI done this morning, haven't been back to the ortho for a follow-up appointment yet, but I am impatient and looked at the pics myself. To my sort-of-trained scientist eye it looks pretty obvious. Black vertical line mid-tibia in the T1-weighted images.

Clearly running is out of the question, I'm planning to do deep water running/swimming for cardio while I recover, but will I be barred from compound lifts that involve the legs until I'm healed (namely squats and deadlifts), or are those generally considered OK? Should I avoid them until my follow-up on Wednesday just to be safe?

Buelligan

I'm no doctor, but I have lifted weights before.  I don't think squats and deadlifts would be good with a fractured tibia. 

I'd listen to the professionals in this regard and do what they say.  Surely a PT could offer better advice than idiots on the interwebs.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

As a long time lifter  i agree with Buelligan

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

From the Internet.

Le sigh. That's what I figured. Maybe I'll take up a non-active hobby while I heal.

SMART Approach

Absolutely not! That will wt bear the tibia. Wait for doc's meeting. Good luck!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com