Wanted: Marathon (Read 1000 times)

I also like the trails...ran my first trail marathon in September in Oregon - ALL trail, Timberline Marathon. Very cool! And very small - about 125 (of which I was about #120!)! I just signed up for February's Lost Dutchman in Apache Junction, Arizona, and mad eplane reservations. About half of it is trail/dirt road. Weather should be fairy cool. They have campfires at the start line. See ya there? Shocked
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      Here's a great website that lists most marathon's. http://www.marathonguide.com/ I've done the Kiawah Island Marathon in South Carolina. It's a nice, well organized small race. Mike

Dog-Love

Are you willing to travel to California? The Ave is a marathon in beautiful redwoods, low key, mostly flat and very, very pretty. http://www.theave.org/
        When I was a younger gal, I ran the half in 1:42 and had the best time with all of my running friends. I grew up in SF and we would look for races all of the time. Right before that race in 1983 they held a sub- 4 minute miler event which was pretty amazing to watch (not take part in). So thanks for putting that bug in my ear as I remember that as one of my favorite HM. and would love to do the whole thing one day
        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Dog-Love

I also like the trails...ran my first trail marathon in September in Oregon - ALL trail, Timberline Marathon. Very cool! And very small - about 125 (of which I was about #120!)! I just signed up for February's Lost Dutchman in Apache Junction, Arizona, and mad eplane reservations. About half of it is trail/dirt road. Weather should be fairy cool. They have campfires at the start line. See ya there? Shocked
          Wow February is a bit close for me to up the mileage without pain so I won't see you there this coming February but I will look into the Oregon race. Kind of close to home. BTW...how is running 26.2 miles on a trail?
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
            I can't figure out how to inlcude your question in my response here- but here's what i have found to be the difference between road and trail.... I've run 2 marathons - the SF in 2004 and the one this past Sept on Mt. Hood. The trail marthon was much more tiring. The road one, I was beat at mile 23, and had to really slow down for the final 3 miles. At the Timberline (Mt Hood), although it was an overall mega-drop in elevation, I felt similarily tired at about mile 18. The final 8 were a combo jog-walk-run. I highly recomend the TImberline Marathon, though! And trails! I'm still running marathons; as I said in my previous post, the Lost Dutchman is my next in February and then the Whidbey Island (Washington state) in April. My theory is, since I'm putting so much time and effort (training) culminating in a single event (the marathon), I want that event to be memorable. That's why I'm trying to find out-of-the-way, smaller races, scenic and prefereably trail. The problem I've found is most of the trail event are 50k other "Ultra" events. I may have to go a bit further thatn the 26.2. I hope, as I get more weight off from the training, that my pace will increase. If you like the trails, I've found one of the best calendar sites is the UltraRunning Magazine online: http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/calendar/index.shtml Hope you find a nice one!. Shocked
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Dog-Love

Hey thanks for the website! I thought trails would be more tiring but I was thinking I would sacrifice time for scenery and dirt. I never seem to injure myself with trailrunning as long as I keep my eyes on the path in front of me. I would like to train for my marathon next year and then keep up the running and maintain a couple each year if my body will allow. Right now I have switched to cross country skiing for maintaining the cardio but will soon get the winter shoes with spikes out for winter trail running. Good luck in your February race. Sounds like a warm and pretty spot. Also...if you click the "quote" button...the entire message that you would like to address will appear inside some HTML coding. Leave the HTML codes as they are and you can delete any of the text that is not relevant to yuor answer if you want. Sherry
                On the cool side, try Niagara Falls. I believe it happens the week-end before Halloween each year. I've run it twice and it's relatively small and friendly. Lots of local groups providing drinks at every mile. Also, it's the only marathon in the world that starts in one country and ends in another. You start in Buffalo NY and finish in Niagara Falls, Ontario. A very nice road along the river mostly and very flat. No trail running though.

Imminent Catastrophe

DEADWOOD C%#KSUCKER!
                  LOL! Seriously, I'm planning on doing Deadwood this year, I'd be interested in hearing about it. SWEDGIN!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Love your avatar, PerfesseR. Looks like you are giving some instruction on (insert topic here) to JakeKnight.
                    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                    vicentefrijole

LOL! Seriously, I'm planning on doing Deadwood this year, I'd be interested in hearing about it. SWEDGIN!
                      Yeah.. me too! What's it like? I love that area of the country...
                      JakeKnight

Love your avatar, PerfesseR. Looks like you are giving some instruction on (insert topic here) to JakeKnight.
                        Obviously, we're discussing Foucault's seminal 1963 work Naissance de la Clinique: Une Archéologie du Regard Médical . I mean, duh.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------