Running Plan (Read 759 times)

Jason Smith

I just started, and I am befuddled by all the various ways to go about training. I just want to build a solid base and not injure myself: shoot for mileage and distance and eventually be able to run a 5 and 10K for now. I am also confused by all the run/walk advice. So, does anyone have a suggestion for a plan to take me from non-running to running well? Thanks so much.
      Jason, Welcome! What's your goal? A 5k? A marathon?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Jason Smith

5K for now. 10K eventually. I recently did 3 miles in 33 minutes. But it killed me. Think I have been pushing too hard. So, I want to back up and pace myself. Build a good foundation.

Baby bean!

I made my own based upon the C25K plan, but changed it a bit for my tastes and needs and used ideas from other running plans. Same premise though and after reading a lot of threads on here, the C25K plan has had A LOT of success. My plan is essentially like this. Day 1-Warm up walk for 10 minutes. Then run for x minutes, walk for x minutes for a total of 5 minutes, do for 4 times. Day 2-Same idea as day 1 Day 3-Warm up walk for 10 minutes. Then run for x minutes, walk for x minutes for a total of 5 minutes, do 5 times. Day 4-Warm up walk for 10 minutes. Then run for x minutes, walk for x minutes for a total of 5 minutes, do 6 times. So each week, the ratio of running to walking changes, gradually increasing running time and decreasing walking time. It has helped me build up endurance tremendously and I've stuck with it. Also, I follow the words of advice I got on here...go slow, then slow down.

Goals:
          Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

monikam

5K for now. 10K eventually. I recently did 3 miles in 33 minutes. But it killed me. Think I have been pushing too hard. So, I want to back up and pace myself. Build a good foundation.
            Did you run the entire 3 miles or did you walk some if it?
            Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon - Sep 28
            Jason Smith

I was doing, basically, 5:1 the whole way. The soreness bothers me, because I don't want a major injury to slow me up. My route is a bit hilly though. And I am not doing any stretching, just a cool down walk of a half-mile at the end.
              theyapper

On the road again...

Because of the confusion of so many plans and options, the Couch to 5k has turned out to be a great tool for a lot of new runners. It would be worth your time to follow the link in my signature and read about it. Go to the forums of the C25K group and read the sticky topic explaining the training program. Or, you could just click here because I realized how confusing what I just typed could be. Big grin

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

monikam

I was doing, basically, 5:1 the whole way. The soreness bothers me, because I don't want a major injury to slow me up. My route is a bit hilly though. And I am not doing any stretching, just a cool down walk of a half-mile at the end.
                  Stretching is very important. Stretch after every run. During a run you work your running muscles and they need to be properly stretched to reduce post run tightness and soreness.. That much soreness that you described means you did too much too soon. Definitely back off, try C25K program, and run slow at first. Don't worry about the time. Speed wiill come with time, once your muscles and joints and tendons are used to this new activity.
                  Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon - Sep 28
                  redleaf

As everyone's said, I've learned that you really ought to start out slow. I started earlier the year on a treadmill and just picked a speed at random really. So it was set for my running to be at 5 mph and walking about 3.7 or something. After two weeks (3 sessions each week) I could barely walk. It took me about a week of icing, elevating etc. to get my calves back to normal. When I re-started my running is set at 4.3 mph and walking at 3. I'm tired afterwards but not so sore that I can't move! good luck!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362