Sprinting for the first time. Please provide advice (Read 138 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

There are many Masters track meets out there, actually.  NYRR puts on two series a year, for instance, and they do include sprints (more often sprint relays, but sprints as well).  There are opportunities to race the 100, 200, 200/400 relay, the short leg of the DMR, etc.

Cool.  That's a world I honestly have had no exposure to.  Though in my defense, a quick Google search of "masters track and field texas" says those events are much, much more scarce than road or trail races.  But it looks fun - after I achieve my BQ, I might look into it more.  Working at a school with a decent track program sure wouldn't hurt my training opportunities.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

joescott

True and cautionary tale.  Some time late last summer I was at the track early in the morning to run a workout and a couple of middle-aged, slightly pudgy dudes show up, too.  I'm running 1000s or something, and I notice that these guys are going to bust out 200s, which I find interesting because they don't look a lot like they are very fit and I'm wondering to myself if these guys have any business out there running that short fast stuff.  So, they get through maybe a couple of reps and I'm watching them on their next rep and they blast off the line at the pole and as they're coming out of the turn dude #1 (might have been dude #2, I forget) suddenly and unmistakably pulls up wincing and grabbing behind his thigh like something has gone horribly wrong.  From that point, dude #2 runs 1 more rep while his buddy walks limping around the track and they call it a day.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Teddy Lo

Morale to Joescott story, train months in advance. Also, get involved in events that is the most appropriate for you.