The son's running streak (Read 553 times)

joescott

I ran a nice marathon on Sunday, which was the 39th day of a running streak I've had going, my longest ever.  Yesterday morning I slept in and enjoyed my breakfast and coffee, content that it was OK to let my streak end, and the day after a marathon, after all, is a great day to take off. 

So then in the evening my son saunters in fairly late from cross country practice wearing this shirt that I've never seen that says, "50 and counting."  And I asked him, what is that!?  And he informs me that it's his 50-day streak shirt that his cross country coach gave him some time ago.  He's actually at day 79, he tells me, but coach doesn't give out a "79 and counting" shirt.  Now at this point I'm a little upset and motivated to lace up and get out the door for a couple of miles.  The 3-year-old girl needs a bath (my job), the 14-year-old needs help with Geometry (my job), and even cross country boy will be needing help with Pre-Calc (also my job).  But I look at my wife and tell her that I really feel the need to get out the door for a quick run.  At which point she fiercely glares daggers at me and says, "Don't act like an addict."  <sigh> 

I'm guessing it will be quite some time before I have a chance to equal the boy's streak, especially since he is now on 80, and today I'm officially at 1......

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

You ran a 2:51, under a minute off your PR, and it was just a "nice marathon..."   You're a humble man, Joe.

That's a great shirt idea your son's coach had.

jeffdonahue

You ran a 2:51, under a minute off your PR, and it was just a "nice marathon..."   You're a humble man, Joe.

That's a great shirt idea your son's coach had.

Wow!!!  I might be willing to take a day off if I could run a 2:51, and my streak shirt would read "1,717 and counting" today.  Impressive.

joescott

my streak shirt would read "1,717 and counting" today.

Now *that's* impressive, Jeff!!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.