SI Joint & Hip pain (Read 2315 times)

No Talent Drips

I've been really struggling to get in my miles recently due to some pretty serious and nagging SI joint and hip pain. At one point, as a result (I think) of holding my body differently to compensate for the pain, I sidelined myself 100% with a major spasm of my QL (both sides).  The SI joint issue and the hip pain issue are both on the right side of my body.

I went to an osteopath and he confirmed that it appears to be an SI joint issue. He did one manipulation that really seemed to help and gave me some stretches to do (on my back, isometric stuff).  

I got out for an easy 10 today after taking a few days off (and a really light mileage week in general). It feels OK when I run, not perfect, but ok. The hip (where I imagine the IT band connects with the glute?) hurts like hell afterwards.  

Anyone been through anything like this...any suggestions? I'm really hoping to be able to actually train for Boston for 8 weeks or so...

Dei Gratia

Some find that PT works best for recovery, some a chiropractor....some both.  If the osteopath gave you stretches, do them - they really helped me.

#artbydmcbride

http://www.sacrowedgy.com/runners.htm 

this thing was like a miracle for me.

Runners run

I've seen you post this more than once...it's that good, eh?  How long did you have issues before using it?  How long after you started did it help?  Recurring issues (then you just use it again for "x" period of time??)? 

#artbydmcbride

Issues for a few months.  1 use and I was relieved of pain.   Used again whenever pain comes back (months later)

Really you can probably make something that will work yourself.   You just need something to rest your tailbone on and let your pelvis drop on either side.  It doesn't drop a lot but the pressure off of the SI joint is awesome.  I think mine was impinging a nerve.

Runners run

TRIing to beat the heat!

Sounds like something very similar to what I was dealing with in June 2011.  My hip and lower back pain on my right side got to point last year where I thought I was going to have to throw in the towel on my first marathon because I was having to stop every 5 minutes during my runs to stretch my back/hip.  It was awful and probably the worse running related injury I've had in the 4+ years that I've been doing this.

My issue ended up being an extremely tight psoas and iliacus.  I had treatment on these area using Meilius Muscular Therapy (it's robot that is set up to do sports massage/trigger point therapy-- pretty cool stuff) and then I followed that up with private, weekly Pilates sessions where we really worked on (and continue to work on) keeping those muscles lengthened and pliable.  Mine would get extremely tight (and then pull on all of their attachment points) from sitting for long hours at the computer. 

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

No Talent Drips

Thanks for the information, folks. The Sacrowedgy...heh...I'll order that thing based on its name alone.

Dei Gratia

The sacarowedgy looks like it would be a big help.  If the SI joint rotates out of position, it takes the manipulation by a good PT or osteo to get it back in.  Then you need to retrain all the connecting muscles/tendons to keep it there!  It is easy to have it come back out, so you need to keep going back for the manipulation for awhile.  I struggled with this for years, but was lucky to have a great PT in Dallas who was really good at this.  Not all of them are.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

flatland mountaineer

I have this problem periodically, my pt says it is basically a pelvic alignment issue and takes some manipulation and strenthening and stretching exercises for me to get back. Now when I feel it coming on I can get on top of it before it gets too bad. Sounds like many have had similar experiences and treatment. I have had it hurt enough to think it would never go away but am totally painfree now.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

No Talent Drips

I love you Ileneforward. Deeply. This thing is incredible.

Dei Gratia

#artbydmcbride

Smile  I'm glad

Runners run

flatland mountaineer

I think I need one of these based on recs here. The regimin my pt put together works for me but takes alot of time to get results.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I love you Ileneforward. Deeply. This thing is incredible.

I ordered one!  Super excited and can't wait to try it.

Tin Cup

My right S/I joint has been stuck for at least 2-3yrs,  after many attempts to solve it with accupuncture, physical therapy, chiropractic adjustments, I saw this thread and tried the Sacrowedgy.    after about 2 weeks i felt like my hips had to move in the opposite direction.  on a whim i ordered a super firm foam roller for 21.99 on amazon,  rolled around with it down my spine, under my hips, put it directly under my spine, rolled my knees/legs around as far as i could,  popped something back in place on the first session,  did it again later that day.   Problem solved.   use roller at least once a day to maintain movement.    i looked at alot of videos on the internet regarding foam roller use.  be careful.  I'm not a doctor or PT, but after 3yrs,  fixed it myself with the roller.  at 48yrs old i feel like a new man.   Thank you Foam Roller.

OK, I got my sacrowedgy in the mail today.  At first I was all like, hey, I'll wait to try it, since I'm not in any pain, but then noticed the pamphlet said when your NOT in pain is the time to try it, so I did!  So, did you just do the basic relaxation on the thing?  Or did you have a PT or PT stand in that did all the 2 person exercises?  

I tried it for just a minute or 2 (getting ready to go for a run, and didn't want it getting me too relaxed or jacked up or whatever)...and I know this is going to make me sound like a crazy person, but after a few minutes I got up...and I got this weird swelling in the top of my left foot...About the size of a quarter, on the middle of the top of my foot.  After about 3 minutes it went away, but it was really swollen.  How weird is that?  My left side is my jacked up side.