New to running - need help with training intervals and distances (Read 705 times)

Chicago 26.2 07

Hi, I have been running off and on for about 3 months. I can easily run 5k in 28 min and would like to train for 10K and 1/2 marathon before Spriing. I live in IL and run outside. How often should I run. I am currently trying to run 5 K twice a week and 10K once a week. With one day of rest in between and a 1mi swim once a week. By the way I am in my mid 40's and before September hadn't ran in over 20 years. Thanks for your suggestions.

Finished!

I'm using the Hal Higdon training plans. (and modifying them a little to suit my time schedule)
      Walk + Jog = wog.
      I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
      I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
      JakeKnight

Get yourself one of the running books by any major writer (like Higdon). And if you're keeping a log here and you want advice, consider making it public. Plenty of folks will offer comments. Am I correct in assuming from your screen name that you're planning on doing the marathon next fall?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

madness baby

I have adapted pretty well to running over the past 2 months with a HM training plan at runnersworld.com. It allows you to enter your time frame, your long run day, and a recent pace. I didn't have a race time before, so I just estimated and I've almost enjoyed the training plan it gave me. Well, that might be a bit much, but check it out. I've also started mixing in some of Hal Higdon's advice as I get closer to the race. Good luck with your training!
          deb
            I second the runnersworld.com suggestion. I am presently using the training plan custom designed for my upcoming 10K race. One thing I've learned is that the way to improve your 5K/10K times isn't necessarily running 5K/10K practice runs faster. Instead, it involves longer/slow runs mixed with shorted/tempo&speedwork. Good luck.
            Chicago 26.2 07

Get yourself one of the running books by any major writer (like Higdon). And if you're keeping a log here and you want advice, consider making it public. Plenty of folks will offer comments. Am I correct in assuming from your screen name that you're planning on doing the marathon next fall?
              Yes I am planning the Chicago in October. Are you?
                You're off to a good start doing 12 mi/week. You may want to start adding a couple miles to your long run every other week (replace the 10K with an 8 miler one week, back to 10K next week, then up to 10 miles the week after, then 6 miles, 8, 6, 10, 6, 8, 6, 10, etc). Don't worry about times, and, to avoid injury, don't increase your weekly mileage too fast. You'll be in good shape to start your marathon training in the Spring. I used Jeff Galloway's schedule to run my first marathon - Chicago '01 (Galloway's Book on Running - not the run/walk thing although I hear that works well www.jeffgalloway.com). I, too, recommend Runner's World's training schedules http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-6946-0,00.html- I have used the "intermediate runner" schedule for subsequent marathons. Good luck in your training for October - It's an amazing event! Ken