7 hour marathon.... (Read 1140 times)

Hi guys, Just wanted to share a pretty amazing moment in my running career today - and I wasn't even the one running. I volunteered as "sweeper" at a race my friend was directing. I rode my bike the 26.2 as support and ended up spending the time with 2 first-time marathoners. Being there with them as they set out with great excitement and hope, and then hitting each mile marker, getting to 13 where one had to abandon jogging and walk due to pain in his calf, and just being there as they kept going as the time cutoff crept nearer...and making it in with 11 minutes to go, seeing their families there to embrace them at the finish...well, let's just say it's a totally new way to experience a marathon. I learned more about these two people in 7 hours than anyone really should with a complete stranger, and probably they would say the same about me, but it was definitely something I'll remember for a long time. Carol
    1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
    JakeKnight

Hi guys, Just wanted to share a pretty amazing moment in my running career today - and I wasn't even the one running. I volunteered as "sweeper" at a race my friend was directing. I rode my bike the 26.2 as support and ended up spending the time with 2 first-time marathoners. Being there with them as they set out with great excitement and hope, and then hitting each mile marker, getting to 13 where one had to abandon jogging and walk due to pain in his calf, and just being there as they kept going as the time cutoff crept nearer...and making it in with 11 minutes to go, seeing their families there to embrace them at the finish...well, let's just say it's a totally new way to experience a marathon. I learned more about these two people in 7 hours than anyone really should with a complete stranger, and probably they would say the same about me, but it was definitely something I'll remember for a long time. Carol
      Great, great, (and did I mention great?) post. Truly. This is what it's all about. I love reading stuff like this. Thank you.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

bas

What he ^^^ says, seriously. It's people like you who make it all possible. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Carol. I spent some time with a "sweep" biker during my HM last year. It was very comforting to know that even though I was coming in so late in the group there were people out there who were making sure I didn't get left behind, lost, and stuck out in BFE. Thanks for sharing.

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Carol, that is awesome! And I'll bet that makes for a great bike ride, too! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

It was a beautiful ride - although my hubby rode in front of the marathon and actually rode the loop a second time to catch up with me! The 3.8 mile per hour riding pace I pulled off Wink was a little too slow for him! I must say that as the day wore on, my back and shoulders got sore, but I knew it was nothing next to the pain my runner's knees were in, so I just put on a smile and kept on crankin'. I know I'll be thinking about these guys during my next marathon!
              1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."