RA is moving to new servers (Read 1943 times)

eric :)

I've been quiet on RA the last couple of weeks because my attention is focused on a non-software project.  The current RA server has been in service for over 3 years.  It had plenty of capacity when it came online in 2008 but I also did not expect it to last much longer than 3 or 4 years.  Increasingly, the server cannot handle the traffic load.  You may have noticed that some pages take a long time to load.  I made many changes to optimize the software to speed up data processing but it is time to upgrade the RA server.

RA will run on a new set of computers, including a second web server.  Currently, RA goes offline occasionally (typically around 1 AM Eastern US time) for maintenance.  With the second web server, I can do maintenance on a server without taking RA down.  The best part is I can do it during the day and not have to pull all nighters if the upgrade goes wrong.

The servers came online in the data center two days ago. It will take several more days to configure the web servers and do the final round of testing.  The amount of data on the current server is too large to copy over the internet so I took a snap shot of it onto a hard disk and then copying it to the new servers.  When I make the switch to the new servers, the data you added after I took the snap shot will be temporarily unavailable.  I will copy them to the new servers after the switch.  It make take up to a day for me to find and copy these entries.

I am doing everything I can to make the switch somewhat seamless but there will be some service disruption.  Hopefully, the down time will be minimal.  I don't have a timeline for the switch yet but will let you know when the servers are ready.

"run" "2" "eat"

that's ambitious, eric - hope it all goes well.

good luck and thanks for doing this for us.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Am I doing this right?

Awesome.  Sounds like a win-win.

Good luck with the transition.

No excuses....

an amazing likeness

Heck...just pull the plug, do a cold cutover, and make it easier on yourself all around.  A couple hours downtime would be good for many of us, and for those who start twitching...it will be a good warning to seek help.  Wink

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xor

Good luck, and Vaya Con Dios if you went with Go Daddy :-).

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Folks.  PayPal.

Big grin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Folks.  PayPal.

Big grin

What he said! Smile

Thanks, Eric.  As always, you rock! Cool

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Heck...just pull the plug, do a cold cutover, and make it easier on yourself all around.  A couple hours downtime would be good for many of us, and for those who start twitching...it will be a good warning to seek help.  Wink

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Not everyone is as understanding.  When I put up the email from Active asking me to join their network, someone sent me an email asking if I'm finally giving up on RA and if he should back up his data now.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Good luck and thanks, Eric!

Folks.  PayPal.

Big grin

Definitely worth quoting again.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not everyone is as understanding.  When I put up the email from Active asking me to join their network, someone sent me an email asking if I'm finally giving up on RA and if he should back up his data now.

"finally giving up on RA"?!  WTF?!  Perhaps said person should go hang out at Active.  I hear their running log is awesome. *snort*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

See, I told you it would never take off!  Wait...

Growth, sometimes it hurts. 

I appreciate all you do to support your users... [twitch, twitch]

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Feeling the growl again

Tell Active Sara to mind her own business....

Some people can never be happy.  Needing to move to bigger space is a good sign.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Good luck Eric and the first thing I did when I saw this message was back up my data Smile

It is to important to lose.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                              • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                              • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Good luck Eric and the first thing I did when I saw this message was back up my data Smile

It is to important to lose.

No need to back up your data for the transition.  Just so you know, I'm not backing up my own data.  There is no chance your data would be lost because it is copied from one computer to another, as opposed to upgrading the server itself.  I am planning to use the current server as a backup server after the upgrade.