Audible Warning? (Read 1481 times)

MrH

I use to do the left/right thing and realized that people can't comprehend which way is right or left half the time.  Maybe it's because they got startled when I yelled, but I now go with the cough/drag feet and they turn around to see where I'm at and move accordingly.

Well I'm 6' 4" and big boned so if they jump in my path I can just knock them to the ground, proclaiming "I said on your LEFT dumbass".

Well not really. But if they have enough notice I can pick the side they didn't choose.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

i yell PASSING.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I use to do the left/right thing and realized that people can't comprehend which way is right or left half the time.  Maybe it's because they got startled when I yelled, but I now go with the cough/drag feet and they turn around to see where I'm at and move accordingly.

I think a lot of people just hear right or left and instinctively take it as an instruction of which way they should go, rather than a heads-up of what side I am preparing to pass on.  As a result I have learned to simply say "coming up behind you."  It forces them to actually look and see where I am and adjust their trajectory accordingly, if necessary.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In these cases I recommend an air horn Wink

Need a helmet cam taking video to get best results for this.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I approach as quietly as possible and then, when I'm inches behind them, I say "Hello, Sunshine" in a deep, Cockney accent. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

SillyC

About 3 months ago or so I was coming up on a guy walking who turned around, put his fists up, and said, "You coming up on me bro, you want a piece of me"?  I'm not sure if he wasn't all there upstairs or what, but I just took out my pepper spray, showed it to him, and he started backpeddling sideways very quickly with his fists still up.  I guess that's the kind of weirdos you encounter when you're out early in the morning.

Any chance you had called out "On your Right" before passing him?

Just curious - A bike messenger once told me that "On your right" can be misheard as "Wanna Fight".  Had happened to him once. 

"On your left / right" tends to work in races and with cyclists, but in other settings, not so much.  I go with "excuse me please" and try to be as nice as possible about sharing the road or path.

keeponrunning

I generally say 'excuse me, sorry' or something along those lines.  If I'm on my bike, I'll call out which side I'm about to pass on.  The only people who fully annoy me are the ones who walk 4 across on the trails and are so involved in discussing whatever that they ignore the runner calling out to them.  Don't run into them often, but when I do...

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

xor

Yeah, in many circumstances, I've found "on your left!" just gets a weird WTF?? look from the non-runner/skiier/cyclist.

I sniff, snort, and burp.  Unless the people are wearing headphones, then I just parkour! off the fence or whatever next to them.

The shirtless wonder

I've found most people, including myself, can't hear what people say, only that they are saying something.  So I sometimes say "on your left" or "on your right" or more frequently "coming up behind you."  Then I try to make it around them without trampling their baby strollers.  You get nasty looks when you topple a baby stroller.

xor

Which brings us to dogs and extendo-leashes.

Another time to practice those hurdling and parkour! skills.  I have a lot more issues with the darting dog and the leash hurdle than other situations.

Well, that and toddlers NOT in strollers.  You never ever know what they are going to do.  And they are attracted to noise.  "on your left", "coming up behind", and "eat me" seem to all get processed as turn-toward-the-noise.

Any chance you had called out "On your Right" before passing him?

Just curious - A bike messenger once told me that "On your right" can be misheard as "Wanna Fight".  Had happened to him once. 

"On your left / right" tends to work in races and with cyclists, but in other settings, not so much.  I go with "excuse me please" and try to be as nice as possible about sharing the road or path.

No because I don't call out anymore.  I do the feet drag or cough/clear throat.  I can't remember what I did in this case but it was one of the two.

Unless the people are wearing headphones, then I just parkour! off the fence or whatever next to them.

lol

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I generally say 'excuse me, sorry' or something along those lines.  If I'm on my bike, I'll call out which side I'm about to pass on.  The only people who fully annoy me are the ones who walk 4 across on the trails and are so involved in discussing whatever that they ignore the runner calling out to them.  Don't run into them often, but when I do...

Yeah, there are times that "on your left/right" doesn't cut it, and I yell "coming through!"

On a bicycle "on your left " works great. When I'm walking or running it seems more startling somehow. I've got a bell on my bike that makes a nice, polite sound- works great, but not practical to carry when running, I guess. I like the suggestion of "passing". It's funny how the warning can seem like a command to move to your left, or at least confuse you-I've experienced that- not sure why that is.  I was on the snow on Friday and somebody called "on your left" as they went by- I hardly ever hear that on the hill and it kind of startled me. ( Usually the hotshots just blast by without a word, which is fine as long as they watch where they are going.)

I break wind loudly.

This, or "outta the way, I gotta take a dump"

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn