Average and Max HR Fields (Read 594 times)

eric - I was helping a fellow user with a problem, and it got me thinking about a couple suggestions. I'd like to make a request regarding the main Average and Max HR fields in the new run form. Call it human nature, but I tend to fill out the new run form from top to bottom, which means I usually fill the main Average HR and Max HR fields before I enter any interval entries lower on the page. However, if I go on to enter interval information and then autosum the intervals, the form auto-averages the HR and attempts to determine max HR from the interval entries. The form then fills in (or overwrites) those boxes up above. This leads to two issues: 1. Overwriting with a blank. If you leave you the ave HR and/or max HR values blank in your interval entries, then the site overwrites the main HR fields above with a blank. This forces the user to re-fill the fields, or (counterintuitively) wait to fill these fields last so they are not overwritten. Perhaps when performing the autosum function, you could perform a check on the main Ave HR and Max fields, and if they already hold any data, design the form not to overwrite it with a blank. 2. Overwriting in general. I think the autosum function is is a smart and creative idea, but I can't help but wonder if the function should ever overwrite the user data in the main Average and Max HR fields. This is especially true since the HR fields in the interval section are optional, and may be used in a non-uniform manner (for example, a user might enter HR data only for tempo intervals, but not for recovery segments). If the user has explicitly specified his/her Average HR or Max HR in the main fields, then perhaps this data should never be overwritten by the autosum feature. I think #1 is pretty uncontroversial -- assuming it can be implemented without blowing up the site. Smile However, I don't know if everyone may agree with my thoughts on #2, so I'm putting it out there for consideration.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

eric :)

Berner, Thanks for piping in with the problem. Since you got the problem resolved, I didn't feel the need to chime in. I'll be rewriting the intervals form in the next couple of weeks. I'm actually working on the edit entry page right now as part of the revamp. As I showed what I have to my friend, he commented that what I did was overkill, but as the Myth Busters say, "if it's something worth doing, it's something worth over doing." I'll put in suggestion 2 since it's about the same amount of work. Keep the suggestions coming! eric Smile