Fix my car (Read 779 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My corolla fuel door release latch fell off the fuel door. How do I put it back on?
      I'd buy some epoxy that works with the material of the two pieces I'm trying to bind. Epoxies at Autozone http://www.autozone.com/A,true/N,101022/shopping/accessoriesResults.htm

Vim

mikeymike

Duct tape.

Runners run

TJoseph

I am not sure if this is a serious post or not. I like the duct tape idea. You could go to a junk yard or eBay and buy another fuel door. They also sell aftermarket fuel doors (chrome and carbon fiber).
            JB Weld all the way.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have the clip. I just can't figure out how to put it on.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Eh, just buy a new car. It's the American way! Hey, I hear Hummer can't give their vehicles away.... Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

TJoseph

I have a 2008 Toyota RAV4. The clip appears to be part of a larger stamped piece of sheet metal that is spot welded to the fuel door. The door itself is held on to the body of the car by two rivets or fasteners (not screws, at least from the outside). I don't know if your door is the same as mine, but if it is you might be able to get someone to weld it back on for you. It seems like it would be cheaper to replace the door unless you or a friend already has the welding equipment. I think a cheap ARC welder would make a mess of it, you would probably need something like a MIG welder. The doors are selling on eBay for $10 - $25. I am not sure what a junk yard would charge, but it is probably in the same price range. You might get lucky and find one the same color, or you could go for the chrome or carbon fiber look. http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=Corolla+fuel+door&_sacat=See-All-Categories Tom
                    I had a part fall off and the service guys at the dealership put it back on in a few minutes. It's mostly men that like Hummers? I'd go for the Hydrogen 7 or convertible.
                    And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

See, if I were to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a car, it would be a tight race between the Tesla Roadster and the Nissan GT-R. The hummer I kind of get, but the H2 and H3 were concieved of by retarded monkeys in my opinion. Back to Trent's question, JB Weld should attach the metal. At least for a decent amount of time, and I think it's $10 for a tube. And then you'll have JB Weld.
                      TJoseph

JB Weld is epoxy. I don't think that would work for this application. You are trying to fasten two thin pieces of sheet metal together with enough strength to withstand repeated impacts from the latch mechanism when you close the door.

Hoodoo Guru

Superglue. Then sell the car.

The tangents are moot.

Get one of these Kawasaki KT250's http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=282

Vim

obsessor

I stuck a little round magnet in mine. Sticks to the frame/body side with "glue", and magnetically holds the door closed. Sorta. mostly. And yeah, the kawi will use far less fuel. And it's fun. Prices on used small displacement bikes in good shape are inflating lately, though, for obvious reasons. 70mpg around town is pretty cool.

Imminent Catastrophe

You're not going to need that fuel door anyway. There's no gas in Nashville.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016