FAT GUY RUNNING!!! (Read 365 times)

bacon_79

Ok. This is where I'm at. I am trying to get into some sort of shape that is not round. Long story short, I am a bariatric patient who has lost all their weight years ago and gained it back. I got back on track 2 weeks ago, and decided I was going to incorporate regular exercise into my life this time. I signed up for a 5k that will be ran on Jun 27 this year. I talked to my chiropractor about this and he said I should start with an elliptical and move up from there. The reason being is it will not hurt my joints as bad since I'm still carrying A LOT of extra weight. My plan so far has included the elliptical in 2-3 minute higher speed sessions with a 1-2 minute walk between higher speed sessions. I started at 15 minutes of walking and thought I'd die. I'm now up to 35 minutes and I have gone 5 minutes at the higher speed before a walking break. I guess  I'm looking for some advice. Is this a good approach? When should I start hitting the ground? Is a goal of a 5k in 18 weeks too high of a goal? I am currently 5' 10" 280 pounds. I fully expect the weight to come off pretty quick. (4-5 pounds a week). Thanks for the input in advance.

Evolving body parts

I'd been dealing with weight issues on and off. Exercise, running especially will help you loose weight fairly quickly and is certainly a great way to keep pounds off.

BUT:

• Everyone's milage (response to exercise) is different 
      • The biggest part by will be your diet. Take it slow and consistent (both the diet and the exercise), otherwise you'll burn out.
      • If exercise is a big part in your diet, you'll gain back a lot of weight as soon as you stop.Just keep in mind that this is not a campaign but you are in for the long haul.
      • Your BMI is just over 40. I know that BMI can be a crappy indicator sometimes, but 40 is really high. I would not start (real) running until you're down below 35 at least. That is about <245 lbs in your case. Then maybe a C2K program. 
      • Swimming is really great to start with. Elliptical and stationary bike are good too.
      • 4-5 pounds / week is really a lot. You'll be able to do that, but only for a few weeks. It will slow down. It must slow down, because -4lbs/wk is not healthy.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if there are special considerations for bariatric patients as far as exercising goes. There are just that many people will suggest you I guess. I think you started out well and you are also right about your joints.

No more marathons

Not really a whole lot to offer - but do have some random thoughts.

1.  Way to go.

2. I find the elliptical machine harder than running - but yes, easier on the joints.

3.  Walk - jog a few steps, walk.  Repeat.

4.  Look up the couch to 5 k program - I've never used but many have so it must work.

5.  Way to go.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Two years ago I was at about a 35 BMI, and with a history of knee problems not serious enough for surgical intervention, but painful enough that they had derailed previous exercise program attempts.  I was also starting to get borderline diabetic fasting blood sugar readings, and was terrified of the idea of having to give up my beloved sweets entirely.  I got to that weight not quickly, but by gaining 5-10 lbs a year for 15 or so years.

My goal in returning to running (I had run in high school) was not to lose all the weight in certain period of time, but to reverse the weight gain trend.  To lose 10-15 lbs per year until I hit a "normal" weight, and then maintain that weight indefinitely.

I started out by walking on the treadmill 30 minutes at a time a few days a week.  Both trying to make exercise a sustainable habit, and strengthening my joints.  After a few months of that, I started jogging, still on the treadmill and very slowly.  At the 6 month mark I was only up to three mile runs, but out of sentimentality ran painfully jogged a 5.5 mile race.  It was way too much too fast, but luckily I ended up with just shin splints.  It could have been much worse, but it was still hard to take a couple weeks off and have to start over building mileage and the habit.

I also work on my diet, but again, small changes.  The first was getting out of the soda habit.  If I'm thirsty, I drink water.  Flavored beverages are only for when you really want it, not to quench thirst.  Well, except coffee, but I started measuring the creamer so I only used just enough to make the coffee drinkable, and then decreased that over time to where it's less than 50 calories a cup.  For unrelated reasons, I also stopped eating all meat but seafood.  But other than meat, I haven't banned any foods, I've just worked hard to be conscious of what I eat.  Do I really want a cookie, or am I just hungry and would be satisfied with an apple or a handful of nuts?  Or maybe an apple and one cookie instead of 4 cookies?  The impact of my food choices on my running is a powerful motivator.  I want to get faster, and properly fueling a workout is much more motivating to me than adjusting my food just to lose weight.

I also worked on stress relief.  Music is great for running motivation, but it also kept my thoughts at bay.  After I forced myself to leave the ear buds at home, I found myself figuring out a lot of issues during my runs that enabled me to cope better with the stresses of the rest of my day without turning to comfort food so often.

In a little over 2 years I've lost about 35 pounds, and am just a few pounds away from the obese/overweight line (30) on the BMI chart.  So only a pound or two per month.  But, month to month, I've never gained any of the weight back.  I didn't go on a diet, I made a sustainable lifestyle change.

My question for you, is not whether your current diet and exercise plan will get the weight off this year, but will it get you where you want to be five years from now?

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

+1 on the Couch to 5K program - A good friend of mine started one in February last year at 5'11", 325 lbs, and is now down to 260, and still dropping consistently.  Her transformation has been amazing, both physically and mentally. (I'd recommend to look for one in your area run by a coach, FYI, instead of going it alone.  An extra watchful eye and knowledgeable advice on form, when to ease off, etc will be helpful).

Start easy (slow), don't worry about pace.

Yes, completing a 5K in 18 weeks is a reasonable goal.

Netizen Kane

You'll find a lot of people on this site, or any other running site, who lost a heap of weight and got fitter than they ever thought they could be.

I'm one.

Stick with it, and you'll be another. And I say that with complete confidence

3 months from now you'll look back and won't believe the progress you've made. A year from now you'll be a different person.

My 2cents - take it easy, enjoy the process, make it a way of life then there is no hurry

jpdeaux

Thoughtful, detailed and sensible post granite_running. Yes, yes, and yes to all of this.
                There are so many little things you can do for yourself. Giving up soda, and drinking water is a perfect one. Giving yourself a positive history of success in the small things adds up over time. I really like that you've given yourself a long, long time and have made this a lifestyle change rather than a diet. That's how it has to be. Continuous improvement over a lifetime. Had I gone from 2 creams and 2 sugars to straight-up cold-brewed black coffee I would not have stuck with it. But now, nearly any drink with sweetener in it is cloying and unpleasant. (Full disclosure: I was not overweight, but had a very poor diet, a sweet tooth and little fitness.)

The same goes for walking/running. Small, incremental, but continuous improvements over time. Never settling or being satisfied and content. Always trying to improve one small thing at a time. Never giving up.

Granite, you said it better than I can. That's a great story. Keep on writing it!

For the OP, normal walking may also give you just enough impact to stimulate bone and muscle strength, and the other adaptations needed for running, that you might miss out on with the elliptical. To a point, impact is good and necessary. Your mission is to find that point and keep pushing it out.

mta: comma. Because surely I didn't mean to give up water.

GinnyinPA

Exercise is great, but most important for significant weight loss is what you do in the kitchen. Find a way of eating that is sustainable in the long term.  Besides the issue of sugary drinks, don't eat out if you can avoid it.  Cook healthy foods.  Lots of fruits and vegetables.  You know what to do.  Walking or running 3 miles at a time only burns 300 or so calories, it takes more than just running to make a difference.

I'll second what was said about getting out and walking on the streets/trails as well.  You need to get your feet and joints used to the pounding you'll get when you start running.  I'd say walk every day for 45 minutes or so, and do the elliptical 3 or 4 days a week for 30 -45 minutes.  When you can do that fairly easily, start a Couch to 5k program.  They usually take about 9 weeks to get you to continuous running for 30 minutes, which is usually a bit less than 5k distance.  If you have time, include some other activities as well:  weights, swimming, bike, etc.

bacon_79

I probably should explain a bit about being a bariatric patient. First off I was 340 pounds day of surgery. (march 2008) When (most) bariatric patients are on the plan, their modified stomach becomes small and only requires a small amount of food. Some days it can be a struggle to get 1200 calories in. As time goes on and you stray from your eating plan, you can stretch out your stomach. Then comes the binge eating that got  me into the position I was in pre surgery. I am "on" my eating plan and getting 1500 cal a day. I did do away with soda and only drink water and splenda sweetened tea. 65-75 g protein a day. That is why I expect the weight to come off fairly quickly.

Thank you all so much for the info. I greatly appreciate it!

an amazing likeness

Lots of good advice, I will add one brief thought.  Find an exercise you like -- be it running, walking, biking, hiking, swimming, elliptical or whatever. Do it routinely and let it be ingrained into your day the same as any other routine. The best exercise is the one you'll do, and sustain.

Good luck!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

Lots of good advice, I will add one brief thought.  Find an exercise you like -- be it running, walking, biking, hiking, swimming, elliptical or whatever. Do it routinely and let it be ingrained into your day the same as any other routine. The best exercise is the one you'll do, and sustain.

Good luck!

This is good advice.  As is everything else already posted.  I have nothing else to offer except good luck, and focus on consistency.

Regards,

A former fatty

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bigkenny

This first thing I would do is change your user ID. Smiley thing

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Think about doing some running off road.

At your weight your joints are going to be your biggest problem.

I am over 200 and do most of my running on trails now.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Fletch

Best of luck to you, Bacon.

The only thing I will add to the trove of valuable information you have already heard is this:

It's much easier, and more fun, to share the journey. Whether it is with some local folks you can join for walks, runs, rides, workouts, etc., or just becoming a regular here in the Running Ahead forums, the encouragement and advice will make things much easier. I speak from experience...I started running 18 months ago, and shortly after I started, I found this website, and joined a User Group (for me it was "50 and Over, 5k and Beyond, but there are many good ones here). I'm not sure I would have stuck with it through the tough early days, and the injuries, without the support of the regulars on this site.

So stick with it...for the long haul.  And come back here often to report on your progress.

Fletch

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Based on the experiences of some of my heavier friends:

1) Walk, instead of elliptical.  Your body needs to get used to the gentle impact  of bearing weight for some distance and time so it can put energy into strengthening your muscles, bones, and joints.  Remember that walking the 5K is always an option.  Elliptical's not bad, but I think if you can handle it you're better off bearing weight than not.  If you're not, keep up with the elliptical, but then transition to walking before starting walk/jog.

(1a) I'm small-ish, and I walked for two months before starting a 5K program when I was coming back to exercise after having a baby.  So there's no shame in starting slow, no matter your weight.)

2) If you have gym access, get into lifting weights if you can.  As a bigger guy you're probably strong, so it's good for self-confidence, and it's also good for developing muscular strength and control.  Running is basically a series of one-legged squats, and I think of it as a really advanced exercise -- I wouldn't tell a beginning weightlifter do go to 3000 squats, but that's basically what running a mile is.  Work on strength while you walk, and then start to think about running.

3) If you have a smartphone, the Zombies C25K app is a hilarious 8 week 5K program -- get ready to run away from zombies!  I started it in November of 2013, and in January of 2014 I ran five miles for the first time.  Then, I just kept going....