my crossfit/paleo freinds hate wheat (Read 836 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Two slices of white bread will cause a greater insulin spike than a whole Snickers bar.

Um.

What evidence do you have to support this assertion?

skygazer

I eat a lot of white rice (would not eat brown rice even it's available) and when I have bread it's usually white bread. And I'm very very very healthy and I don't think it's because I have some healthy genes as I was sick quite a lot when I was a kid. As for my diet, I just eat everything--the best way to achieve a balanced sustainable diet.

It's from the infamous Wheat Belly--or at least is from it among other places.  I believe the claim is addressed in the second or third page of the article I linked.

Um.

What evidence do you have to support this assertion?

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I run so I can eat whatever the heck I want.

Yes.  Though sadly, I can't eat whatever I want as often as I want.

steph  

Oh roo roooo!

Two cents' worth--I am hypothyroid.  Read that many who are hypothyroid are also sensitive to wheat and avoiding wheat can help slow or stop the autoimmune reaction causing some types of hypothyroidism.  So, based on that, I gave up wheat about 4 months ago to see what would happen.  My thyroid function seems to be recovering, and we have dropped my med dose from 150 mcg daily to 112 mcg daily in that short time.  I'm starting to entertain wild hopes that I may even be able to get off the meds at some point.  For me, avoiding wheat seems to make sense.

Village people

I need to make up a disease one day and sell a book and supplements.

You would be competing with pharmaceutical companies, because they do that.

Fistmaster General

I guess I should put in a few cents, since I did start this thread.  My wife was too busy to read it, so I havent gotten her take on it yet.   At home we only use 100% whole wheat and we make everything from scratch.   Bread, pasta, pizza dough, muffins, hamburger buns, etc.  Oh, I take that back, I use masa (corn) flour to make our tortilla shells.

I am of the camp that we are causing these "intolerances" ourselves.  It makes total sense that if you quit eating something for a long enough time, once you reintroduce it it's bound to fuck you up a little at first.  My wife has been a vegetarian since I've known her (~age 16) and im sure if she ate a hamburger right now she'd puke.  Does that make her beef intolerant?  Hardly.

I understand why cutting wheat/carbs will cause people to get lean.  its simple...your body needs to get its energy from somewhere and if you starve it of the simplest energy source, its gonna look to get it elsewhere and that belly is the only place left to get it from.

As a lifestyle, I think cutting anything out completely (aside from medical reasons) is pointless.  Most people dont continue that lifestyle forever and eventually start introducing things they "cant live without" then just give up on it all together, until the next thing comes along.

long story short:  people are lazy and are always looking for a scapegoat

"I... am a fucking moron." - MattM

Better I Leave

My mother, being an "out of control" diabetic, spikes horrifically when she ingests wheat products of any kind.

sugnim

My wife has been a vegetarian since I've known her (~age 16) and im sure if she ate a hamburger right now she'd puke.  Does that make her beef intolerant?  Hardly. 

True.  I was vegetarian for 13 years before I lived in an area where I could raise my own chickens & get other meat directly from ranchers, hunters, & anglers who I trust.  My first bit of turkey had me very queasy for days, but now I am able to eat meat just fine & do so moderately.  However, I don't fault those who cut meat out of their diet, nor do I fault those who cut wheat out of their diet.  People can eat (or not eat) what they want.  I just hope that people try to make healthy decisions about what they eat.

I am of the camp that we are causing these "intolerances" ourselves.  It makes total sense that if you quit eating something for a long enough time, once you reintroduce it it's bound to fuck you up a little at first.  My wife has been a vegetarian since I've known her (~age 16) and im sure if she ate a hamburger right now she'd puke.  Does that make her beef intolerant?  Hardly.

Okay, if that's not beef intolerant, then what is?  Perhaps it's more psychological than anything else, but it's still an intolerance.

I'm pretty sure if I'd try to eat Jello I'd throw up too, but strictly for psychological reasons.

Hip Redux

Elimination diets (removing something for a period and then reintroducing the food) is a well-known way to determine whether or not something is causing a problem.   How else would you figure out?  Random guessing about the things that "might" cause you issues?

I gave up gluten over two years ago - and my knees feel better, I've lost weight, have no more headaches and have more energy.  I went to the doctor several times for general fatigue and was tested for everything from Lyme disease to iron deficiency and everything was "fine".   It was only until I started an elimination diet that I could figure out a) it was something dietary and b) what the offending food was.    You'd be surprised to realize how much what we shove in our pie holes affects our well-being. Smile

Just because you don't follow a certain lifestyle doesn't mean that it's a "fad".    If people feel better, and it works for them, what does that matter to you?

And gluten intolerance is not an allergic response.  That's more like the Celiacs disease response to gluten, which can be quite severe.

some call me Tim

while doing some experimentation on your own diet is a great way to figure out what works for you, its validity ends there and even then is suspect. my wife knows a lady who doesn't eat peppers because it makes her knees hurt. the fact that elimination of peppers is a legitimate requirement for the other members of her family? irrelevant, she says. but yeah, i'll admit it is *hard* to figure out what is what with so many variables involved. that's the reason we don't do studies with tiny sample groups where everyone knows exactly what is going on.

sugnim

my wife knows a lady who doesn't eat peppers because it makes her knees hurt. the fact that elimination of peppers is a legitimate requirement for the other members of her family? irrelevant, she says. 

Eliminating peppers is probably preferable to taking meds or having knee surgery.  Even if it's placebo, if her knees feel better without peppers then cool.

Side note: Mountain Dew makes my feet itch.  Good thing I hardly ever drink soda.

ymmv

I need to make up a disease one day and sell a book and supplements.

"trentfoot" is probably available

Black-Toe-Nailed

Two slices of white bread will cause a greater insulin spike than a whole Snickers bar. I went wheat/gluten free for about 6 months and got leaner than I ever have been. Today's wheat, from a genetics perspective, is a far cry from the wheat of just 60-100 years ago. Nowadays I still eat wheat but very minimally.

My case too. Well, i didn't went leaner but fatter (but that's because I was in my rest period).

In my case I wanted to debunk the gluten-free 'theory' becuase it doesn't make much sense from an anthropological and historical point of view. But, as you pointed out, today's wheat, barley and rye contain a lot of more gluten than the original crops. Gluten is not only used to give industrial bread a better texture but is also used as aglutinant (hence it's name) for other purposes.

I actually found a wealth of information telling me wrong: That gluten is actually far from harmless and 10-15% of the world's population could be intolerant ot it. There are actually 4 types of diseases realted to gluten and wheat: gluten intolerance (the most common), celiac disease and alergy to gluten and wheat. A niece of mine suffers from the latter. It produces a very strong anaphylactic reaction.

My wife and me decided to go gluten free as both of us were showing symptoms: bloathing in her case (we  had been attributin it to her period) and GI distress when running in my case. I had been eliminating stuff like cheese and apples from my prerunning diet. A week after stopping with gluten the symptoms dissapeared: My wife's bloating and my GI distress during runs. I actually went to run directly after lunch and having eaten cheese and apples on purpose just to prove my point. No sign of GI distress.

The negative side is that gluten free stuff is expensive and specially gluten free imitations of wheat products contain heavily manipulated stuff such as de-glutenized wheat... we thus replaced bread with rice crackers, both cheap and gluten free.

Regarding the rest of the paleo thingy: Nothing for a runner. We just can't thrive on a high protein diet. Meat is not an alternative as it is not "paleo"  meat eaither, just as the high-gluten wheat, the meat that you can buy nowadays in the supermarket is filled with so much chemisry that it may walk out of the shelve by it's own means. Not only that but it lacks a lot of nutrients and vitamins to such an extend that many normal meat eaters suffer from low vitamin B12 and iron levels just like us vegetarians (yes, I am veggy). So, no way.

The gluten free idea is not even a proof that the paleo diet works, it has no realation at all. It's like trying to proof gravitation with the existance of pancakes. But well, let the cross-fitters do their thing. It's not my sport Wink

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
                                then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
                                I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek