Zinc reduces symptoms of common cold (Read 1456 times)

SMART Approach

Interesting info on value of Zinc for colds. The concept is not new but a meta-analysis seems to confimr Zinc's value to reducing symptoms of a cold by days (up to 40%) when taken in doses of at least 75 mg per day. One of the orginal studies by Eby also recommended taking 23 mg every two waking hours when one has symptoms of a cold or feels one coming on. A pretty harmless treatment with potentially strong results. Interesting to me!

http://benthamscience.com/open/tormj/articles/V005/51TORMJ.pdf

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Zinc Lozenges May Shorten the Duration of Colds: A Systematic Review

Harri Hemilàˆ*

Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland

Abstract:

Background: A number of controlled trials have examined the effect of zinc lozenges on the common cold but the findings have diverged. The purpose of this study was to examine whether the total daily dose of zinc might explain part of the variation in the results.

Methods: The Medline, Scopus and Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials data bases were searched for placebo- controlled trials examining the effect of zinc lozenges on common cold duration. Two methods were used for analysis: the P-values of the trials were combined by using the Fisher method and the results of the trials were pooled by using the inverse-variance method. Both approaches were used for all the identified trials and separately for the low zinc dose and the high zinc dose trials.

Results: Thirteen placebo-controlled comparisons have examined the therapeutic effect of zinc lozenges on common cold episodes of natural origin. Five of the trials used a total daily zinc dose of less than 75 mg and uniformly found no effect. Three trials used zinc acetate in daily doses of over 75 mg, the pooled result indicating a 42% reduction in the duration of colds (95% CI: 35% to 48%). Five trials used zinc salts other than acetate in daily doses of over 75 mg, the pooled result indicating a 20% reduction in the duration of colds (95% CI: 12% to 28%).

Conclusions: This study shows strong evidence that the zinc lozenge effect on common cold duration is heterogeneous so that benefit is observed with high doses of zinc but not with low doses. The effects of zinc lozenges should be further studied to determine the optimal lozenge compositions and treatment strategies.

Keywords: Meta-analysis, randomized controlled trials, respiratory infections, zinc.

The Open Respiratory Medicine Journal, 2011, 5, 51-58

keeponrunning

Ok, so, Trent...can you put that in normal people's terms??  I'm sick with a horrible cold right now, and too lazy to try and figure out what that meant.  Should I run out and buy Zinc or am I wasting my time/money?

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Zinc always seems to work for me.  Whenever I start feeling rundown with something coming on, I pop zinc several times a day.  Last year I had 5 colds (damn kid starting school), and none really escalated to being bad and running me down and symptoms were pretty non-existant after two to three days.  In the past, I'd be down close to a week and so out of it, couldn't do anything but lay around.

xor

So I should stick with the zicam?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ok, so, Trent...can you put that in normal people's terms??

Yeah, after I read the whole article.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Zinc always seems to work for me. 

anecdote ≠ data

Wink

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, after I read the whole article.

Well? The internet is waiting.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Brad Hudson has his athletes take zinc as one of their very few supplements. Runners in general could stand to take in more magnesium, potassium, etc. than available in the typical diet.

Ostrich runner

Ostriches have diets high in zinc.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Pennies minted after 1982 are 97.5% zinc.  

Menace to Sobriety

Ostriches have diets high in zinc.

Maybe we should just eat more ostrich. I hear they're pretty tasty.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Ostrich runner

I have had ostrich donner kebabs before. Fantastic.

Menace to Sobriety

I have had ostrich donner kebabs before. Fantastic.

donner as in  the donner party?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Ostrich runner

donner as in  the donner party?

I guess I had an extra n in there.

All kinds of things were available during foot-and-mouth culls.