Zinc reduces symptoms of common cold (Read 1456 times)

Maggie & Molly

Zinc always seems to work for me.  Whenever I start feeling rundown with something coming on, I pop zinc several times a day.  Last year I had 5 colds (damn kid starting school), and none really escalated to being bad and running me down and symptoms were pretty non-existant after two to three days.  In the past, I'd be down close to a week and so out of it, couldn't do anything but lay around.

me too.  May not be scientific evidence but as long as I am feeling better quickly, able to run and the darn cold doesn't turn into an asthmatic episode I'm a happy girl. 

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
    Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Imminent Catastrophe

Chocolate always seems to work for me.  Whenever I start feeling rundown with something coming on, I pop chocolate several times a day. 

FTFY.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

donner as in  the donner party?

If you are going to go all Donner Party, I suggest snabbing early season donner.

Because Prima Donner is the best.  And everyone knows it.

Osterich tastes pretty good.

Those zinc lozenges, however, taste prett evil.

Jeff

sharonbaker

spam
            LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Osterich tastes pretty good.

Those zinc lozenges, however, taste prett evil.

Österreich is not edible.

I'd rather eat an ostrich than those zinc lozenges.  I do the cold ease things you drop into a water bottle, and this new brand of stuff that I found in bulk.  I drink them a few times a week, after my longer runs. 

My coach told me about a product called Umcka.   Good stuff. 

xor

Ah.  Marketed in the US by Ikea perhaps?

(sounds ewie)

Ah.  Marketed in the US by Ikea perhaps?

(sounds ewie)

No, not Ikea. 

My son had a strange cold/flu that wouldn't go away. It was killing his ability to do any quality running, and even struggled running easy. Within about 24 hours of taking it every 4 hours or so, he was feeling much, much better.  And was able to resume his quality running.  It may not work for everyone, but it worked for him. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

No, not Ikea. 

My son had a strange cold/flu that wouldn't go away. It was killing his ability to do any quality running, and even struggled running easy. Within about 24 hours of taking it every 4 hours or so, he was feeling much, much better.  And was able to resume his quality running.  It may not work for everyone, but it worked for him. 

Okay, I'll pull a Trent here.  Maybe he just got better, coincidentally at the time he was taking the umikea.  Anecdote, you know?

Hoban-Jay

That's an extremely high dose of zinc.  I wouldn't take anything near that high, and if so, only for a couple of days.  Zinc in high doses, especially long term, can be toxic, and block the absorption of copper, magnesium, and iron, doing harm to our liver and immune system.

Ammyidm

spam
                            beat

Break on through

I saw the movie, Contagion on Friday.  On Monday, I realize I have a cold.  I hope it's not that Asian bat - pig super virus.  I'm taking Zinc acetate every three hours, just in case.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."