Fast Food Sandwiches (Read 1291 times)

I work at a Doctors office and we get free food for lunch from drug reps. I usually bring my lunch but today ate what they brought. A Heavenly Ham turkey sandwich. I thought is was pretty healthy, they market it that way, and it had whole wheat bread, lettuce tomato, and I ate mustard not mayonnaise. After lunch I looked up the nutritional information on their web site and OMG it had 780 calories and 36 grams of fat. I ate the cookie that came with it for 260 calories. I can't eat the rest of the day because I try to stay around 1500 for the day and I'm there already. I'm so upset that they can market these things as healthy and they are no better than a big mac. I know better and will not be lazy in the future about bringing my own lunch. Just had to get that off my chest.
      Those pre packaged lunches are always really high in calories Dead That's why I bring my own lunch --- like you do. Hang in there, though --- one Heavenly Ham sandwhich won't do you in.
      2009: BQ?
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You did the right thing to look it up. May I add to your rant? I prescribed some medications this weekend to a patient. The medication the patient needed, the best one for the job, was not covered on his/her plan, so he/she had to pay out of pocket. The drug costs $10 per pill. I understand that the drug company has to spend money doing research and that they need to make a profit, and that is just fine. But of that $10 per pill, $5 went to marketing. Marketing costs include 1000 calorie high-fat lunches given to woo doctors and their staff. Indeed, a fed office is a happy office, and a happy office is going to favor a particular drug. Study after study shows that this works, no matter how much the docs think it does not. Even pens can sway prescribing. And ties. And week-long golf trips. And planners. I refuse it all.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I refuse it all.
          Thank you for that. I wish more medical professionals were so...well, professional. The drug costs are so insane. I'm always shocked by how much cheaper most drugs are once they go generic. The difference in price is flabbergasting. Yeah, fast food "healthy" can be such an oxymoron. Sometimes the healthier choices at FF joints can really be a good deal, but not often. Those salads at McD's are a prime example...you can order your chicken deep fried (ha, not healthy), but even the grilled stuff is injected with sugar. So much for watching calories and it's not exactly diabetic friendly for those who have to be careful with sugars. I do like the chicken salad wrap at Arby's...it's not really low calorie or low fat, but the wrap itself is whole grain and there aren't really any mystery ingredients...white meat chicken, grapes, apples, celery, mayo, pecans, romaine lettuce. They're huge, so I will order one and just eat half--saving the other half for dinner or for lunch the following day. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent I agree with you, and that's another reason I usually bring my lunch too. I was having a discussion with a nurse practitioner the other day about how the whole drug rep thing just feels wrong. The pens, food and other crap they bring in feels unethical to me. She said she sees it a different way. She says that she would not hear about new drugs and what they do for their patients if they didn't come in with lunch and to talk to them and sell their product. She says that the practioners do not have time to sit and read or listen to them and learn about the product. She would not otherwiselearn about new drugs, and this way they get her undivided attention during lunch, and she doesn't have to waist personal time learning about the drugs. I was unconvinced with her argument but that's how she is justifying it.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

She is correct. We may not otherwise learn about new drugs. Like that is a bad thing? Wink

Along for the Ride

You did the right thing to look it up. May I add to your rant? I prescribed some medications this weekend to a patient. The medication the patient needed, the best one for the job, was not covered on his/her plan, so he/she had to pay out of pocket. The drug costs $10 per pill. I understand that the drug company has to spend money doing research and that they need to make a profit, and that is just fine. But of that $10 per pill, $5 went to marketing. Marketing costs include 1000 calorie high-fat lunches given to woo doctors and their staff. Indeed, a fed office is a happy office, and a happy office is going to favor a particular drug. Study after study shows that this works, no matter how much the docs think it does not. Even pens can sway prescribing. And ties. And week-long golf trips. And planners. I refuse it all.
                YES! The company I work for now (pharma) has very strict rules on the whole entertaining etc. No golf trips, absolutely none, never. Gifts only under $10 and they must be practice related. Meals are restricted to candy/snacks for inservices and meals are reserved for very "specified situations". I have not run into a specified situation yet ... I do not and will not have to play the caterer with a BS in nursing and drop off lunches at an office. Knowing that the doc feels like Trent and thinks about his last patient who couldn't really afford what he/she needed. And knowing that the doc is right. And knowing the doc might miss out on useful info I have, just because I already burned my bridge by trying to "buy him" with a 1000 cal sandwich ... However, having worked for a surgical company before - some offices will not let you in the door without serving lunch ... And I agree on the unhealthy choices when you have to buy lunch somewhere. It makes it hard to eat right when traveling ...

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

See, I knew we agreed on lots! Smile
                    Make sure you get plenty of beans... (DRY BEANS JUST ADD WATER AND HEAT... you don't need all that other funky stuff) Bean Benefits 1. Soluble Fiber (Clean up the junk in your veins and arteries) 2. Insoluble Fiber (Clean out your digestive track... plaque builds up down there too) 3. Carbohydrates 4. Protein Resources Dr. Mao Beans and legumes are an unusually good choice, because in addition to providing the good fat, they are also chock full of protein and dietary fiber. They are also loaded with complex carbohydrates, the nutrients that are responsible for providing energy to the muscles and brain. Because they have a low glycemic index, beans have the unique ability to provide energy over a sustained period of time by being slowly released into your blood stream. Also, beans are a great source of dietary fiber, which promotes a healthy digestive tract, helps lower blood cholesterol levels, and can reduce the risk of some types of cancer. It looks like http://www.beansforhealth.org/ is down.

Vim

Member Since 2008

Zoebella, you still have plenty of time to get in a 7-mile run to burn off that sandwich.
                        Thats why I only took free food from the product reps who pushed toys I mean tools for the OR the past few months. It had nothing to do with what was available for lunch and everything to do with not wanting to be influenced to recommend a doctor prescribe something for a patient based on free food. Wink The previous months I just took the food without knowing who the drug company was. If I didnt eat it, someone would take it for dinner and feel doubly persuaded. But since I refused to look at the name on the pens sitting next to the lunch I was not influenced at all. Undecided
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Modal, great info. Beans are fantastic. Everything you wrote is great. Except this:
                          plaque builds up down there too
                          Smile
                            Well it does and perhaps that is why people get colon cancer. modal, a sucker for free food even if it is bad for him and bean/legume evangelist, believes it is important to flush one's system out (colonic irrigation) every so often.

Vim

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I thought is was pretty healthy, they market it that way...
                              Any food that brags on its packaging about how healthy it is should make you suspicious. Consider: it's almost entirely the highly-processed, pre-packaged stuff that makes such claims. The truly healthy foods are too simple to benefit from any such gimmicks.
                              "... By comparison, the typical real food has more trouble competing under the rules of nutritionism, if only because something like a banana or an avocado can’t easily change its nutritional stripes (though rest assured the genetic engineers are hard at work on the problem). So far, at least, you can’t put oat bran in a banana. So depending on the reigning nutritional orthodoxy, the avocado might be either a high-fat food to be avoided (Old Think) or a food high in monounsaturated fat to be embraced (New Think). The fate of each whole food rises and falls with every change in the nutritional weather, while the processed foods are simply reformulated. That’s why when the Atkins mania hit the food industry, bread and pasta were given a quick redesign (dialing back the carbs; boosting the protein), while the poor unreconstructed potatoes and carrots were left out in the cold. Of course it’s also a lot easier to slap a health claim on a box of sugary cereal than on a potato or carrot, with the perverse result that the most healthful foods in the supermarket sit there quietly in the produce section, silent as stroke victims, while a few aisles over, the Cocoa Puffs and Lucky Charms are screaming about their newfound whole-grain goodness." - from Michael Pollan's NY Times Article
                              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well it does and perhaps that is why people get colon cancer.
                                nope and nope. Carry on. Wink (trust me, I have seen the inside of many many colons in my practice, and there is no placque in any of them, and the etiologies of cancer are multifactorial and occur at a microscopic level, while placque is a macroscopic entity)