A site I'm building to give you another look at your running (Read 312 times)

JamesChevalier

I'm re-posting from my original topic in the 'Gears and Wears' forum. I misunderstood the use of that forum as a place to share anything that augments running, not just specifically running items - sorry about that!

CityStrides connects to your RunKeeper, Strava, or MapMyRun account and figures out which streets you've run (and what's left in order to complete the city).

I've found this to be a fun long-term goal, and I've gotten a lot out of it on each run because I'm always running somewhere new.

In addition to the challenge of running every street in your city, there are a few other things going on:

• Shoe tracker
    • "King of the Hill" type game for each street, so whoever runs it the most is the one on top
    • Single view of all of your running, ever
    • Weather info is added to each run

You can check it out at http://citystrides.com

Join up and let me know what you think - either here or through the contact form on the site.

Thanks!

Creator of CityStrides

It provides a street-level view of your running, then uses it to motivate the hell out of you.

an amazing likeness

Connecting to running data on other sites doesn't do RunningAhead users any good

Come on back when you've got a way to inhale my RA running log workout data...otherwise...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

kcam

Cool idea but .... exactly what milktruck said.

DarkeRunner

I think it's a great idea. I'm running every road in my county and trying to sort out if it works on that level, and how.

Interesting.

That said, I don't want people I don't know to see the streets I'm regularly running on, though.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Hoban-Jay

Nothing I'm interested in.

Even if it were willing to use another site (I'm not) almost all of my running (except when I run at work) is done on trails.

I don't understand the desire to run on every street in a city, but diff'rent strokes I guess.

Also:

• Shoe tracker - We have that.
                • "King of the Hill" type game for each street, so whoever runs it the most is the one on top - Why?
                • Single view of all of your running, ever - Why?
                • Weather info is added to each run - We have that.

Dave

endlessrun

Thanks for sharing.  It's an interesting idea.  What I'd like to use the site for is to seek out streets for particular features, such as long grades or distance without a stop light.  In any event, I can't log in to check out the "street map view" because I need a tracking mobile device.  It's not likely I'll be using one of those on runs anytime soon (not til it's about the size of a quarter).

keeponrunning

Even if it worked with RA (which is, assumably, where everyone here tracks their data), I too wouldn't want people knowing where I'm running regularly.  Too many creeps out there.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Kalsarikännit

In addition to the challenge of running every street in your city, 

If you live in an actual city, there are probably some neighborhoods that would be incredibly stupid and dangerous to run in.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

catwhoorg

Labrat

I regularly run in three different 'cities'  Marietta, Kennesaw and Canton.

I could free hand the map of the where I have run right now for each of them.

Guess I'm just boring and run the same routes regularly.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

joescott

Promotional spam by an unknown dude with a closed running log.  Eric would be well within his rights to get out the elephant gun.

Go elsewhere with your spam, please.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Promotional spam by an unknown dude with a closed running log.  Eric would be well within his rights to get out the elephant gun.

here's eric now:

beat

Break on through

It's not really spam, though.  Spam is irrelevant messages cross-posted all over the place, like the inter-caste love line and boulder running scene blog messages...  It's not impossible that some people might see both Running Ahead and other running websites as useful.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Kalsarikännit

It's not really spam, though.  Spam is irrelevant messages cross-posted all over the place, like the inter-caste love line and boulder running scene blog messages...  It's not impossible that some people might see both Running Ahead and other running websites as useful.

You don't know that some people might not find the Boulder running blog or inter-caste love line posts useful. It's usefulness is not the point. Eric is great about letting people push their blogs and talk about websites or apps they developed if they are a member of our community. I've never seen this guy before. He has a closed log, no personal info page, and his signature line is all about his site that he is promoting, plus it is apparent that he just joined (misunderstanding Gears and Wears) probably to push his site. Spam.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart