One small step for a man; one giant leap.... (Read 1542 times)

an amazing likeness

So one day back at the very dawn of the digital age, a guy walks into a room says....I need you to figure out a way to get a person from there to there and back, and points at this:

...and oh, by the way...you have less than 10 years.

I believe to this day that I will never experience anything in my lifetime like that of living in the Apollo age of adventure. They were truly the Greatest Generation.

I can close my eyes and picture the living room on that July where we watched. The heat of a July night in the WV hills....the sense of absolute amazement and wonder that this could possibly happen...the gasp from everyone when he stepped off the landing leg...everyone's struggling to hear what Armstrong had said....I have not the words.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Good Luck Mr. Gorsky!

(I know the Mr. Gorsky story is possibly not true, but it's good story).

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Good Luck Mr. Gorsky!

(I know the Mr. Gorsky story is possibly not true, but it's good story).

One of my favorites.

Also from the G-Gen: "You know how we drop rocks on people from high altitude and they go 'boom'?  I'd like you to make a rock that wipes out an entire city when we drop it.  Oh, and you have to make it before the Germans drop one of their rocks on us.  No pressure."

Then again, if you told people in the 1960s: "You know that warehouse we have that does addition and subtraction for us?  Well, I'd like you to put one in every American's pocket -- but make it a million times more powerful and able to talk to every other computer on the planet.  Oh, and people should be able to fling birds at pigs on it too.  You've got 40 years.  Go."

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

BeeRunB

One small step out-take

some say this is real

BeeRunB

Roadrunner's Apprentice

Love the Onion front page!  And true or not, "Good luck Mr. Gorsky" is classic...

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...

Most powerful TV moments of the past 50 years apparently include news of the death of Whitney Houston and the Casey Anthony trial. 

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/the-20-most-powerful-television-moments-in-of-the-past-50-years/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OTB+%28Outside+The+Beltway+%7C+OTB%29

But... holy living fuck.  no moon landing?  jesus christ... man lands on fucking moon! and it's not as powerful of a tv moment as the death of a drug adict?

Most powerful TV moments of the past 50 years apparently include news of the death of Whitney Houston and the Casey Anthony trial. 

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/the-20-most-powerful-television-moments-in-of-the-past-50-years/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OTB+%28Outside+The+Beltway+%7C+OTB%29

But... holy living fuck.  no moon landing?  jesus christ... man lands on fucking moon! and it's not as powerful of a tv moment as the death of a drug adict?

+1

It's pretty sad really that something so incredible isn't on the list. Yet, OJ has two in the top 6. And Casey Anthony is on the list! Reallly????

Speaks volumes about the people that vote for this stuff. 

xor

Lists like that are always made to intentionally generate discussion ("controversy") and are generally skewed to the more-current.  Especially when they try to whip out stats to quantify the "why" in their rankings but said stats either didn't exist for part of the time period or changed meaning.

Anyway, yeah.  Moon landing and Apollo 13 were big deals in my yoot.  Whitney Houston was not a big deal in my adulthood.  I heard, said "figures", and moved on.

wildchild

Carolyn

I don't even know who Casey Anthony is.  But I remember the moon landing.  My parents let me and my sibs sleep in the family room in sleeping bags, and they woke us up to watch.   Awesome that they did all that with slide rules.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Imminent Catastrophe

Apollo 8 should be there too.

"And from the crew of Apollo 8, we close with good night, good luck, a Merry Christmas, and God bless all of you - all of you on the good Earth."

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

But maybe not Apollo 17.

"I was strolling on the moon one day..."

"In the merry, merry month of December."