The SanDisk Sansa Clip mp3 player (Read 2689 times)

TammyinGP

I am thinking of ordering this from Amazon. seems to have decent reviews for an inexpensive mp3 player.

I'm curious if anyone has this and has any opinions on the earbuds that come with it as far as how well they stay put in your ears while running. Or if you bought a different pair of earbuds, which ones did you go with?

thanks!

Tammy

an amazing likeness

I use the Sansa Clip. Works great, just as advertised. Easy to use. Easy to sync. Rugged little fella, also.  I don't use the standard ear buds, I use a set specifically made for running. (Sennheiser)

You might try a search or two...we've had a couple threads in the past with Sansa vs. iPod Shuffle discussions.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

The shirtless wonder

I believe it is supported but check out rockbox.org.  Rockbox is a firmware you can put on many mp3 players.  It's AWESOME for running particularly because it has audible alerts.  You can navigate the menu systems without having to look at the controls at all.  Rockbox is completely free too.

Matt_B

Wife has the Sansa Clip. I'd rather have it than my ipod shuffle with the controls on the earphones, but it's pink. Can't do that.

I have trouble with all headphones/earbuds. I got some of the yurbuds that fit over normal ear buds and they are great. never have too fool with them. They sound better too. www.yurbuds.com

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I love my Sansa Clip. I don't run with it, though. I'm sure you would want different earbuds than those supplied.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I ran with Sands. Clip until switching to using Motor Droid. Used their earbuds w/o problem until I broke them.

bob e v
              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

AXes

I'm on my third Sansa Clip.  They have all been good to me.   Eventually dropped the first one off a roof and broke the clip.  DW appropriated the second one.  Current one is the newer Clip+ model.  Some improvements over the original and accepts a micro SD card for expansion.   Earbuds are fine.  I swapped mine for an apple pair.

Greg - thanks for the rockbox tip.  Will check that out.

Do you know the feeling I know? When your legs have disappeared, and there is only your heart, your lungs, and your eyes skimming disembodied through the air? - Jeff

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I love my Sansa clip.  I did get a better set of earbuds. 

Love the idea but have had awful luck with them. Have had 2, both lasted about a month. I've had 2 ipod shuffles, one lasted 2 years, the next has already lasted 3 months. Perhaps I just got a bad batch on sansa clips. Sounds like you guys enjoy them.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

My wife and I both use a sansa clip, we love them.  I have worn out 2 or 3 clips mostly because I sweat too much at some point, and drown the poor thing.  Check out www.newegg.com for the clip, they have a refurbished 4gig one for 28.99, free shipping (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855125148&cm_re=sansa_clip-_-55-125-148-_-Product). 

The standard earbuds are fine but I use a pair of Sennheiser PMX80s (which are incredible also).pmx80

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

I'm on my 2nd Sansa Clip, I love it because of how small and lightweight it is.   The headphones that come with it aren't that great for running, they'll probably constantly fall out on you.  

I use these headphones with it and have been very happy with the sound quality and fit:
                        http://www.buy.com/prod/philips-shs3200-stereo-earphone-black-philips-shs3200-earphone/q/loc/111/202735981.html

Philips Headphones

Runner

My wife and I both use a sansa clip, we love them.  I have worn out 2 or 3 clips mostly because I sweat too much at some point, and drown the poor thing.  Check out www.newegg.com for the clip, they have a refurbished 4gig one for 28.99, free shipping (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855125148&cm_re=sansa_clip-_-55-125-148-_-Product). 

The standard earbuds are fine but I use a pair of Sennheiser PMX80s (which are incredible also).pmx80

I used these until the cord where the plug in came apart.  I am in the process of sending them back since I had them for a very short while, but if you have these or get them definately put some tape around the plug to beef it up as it is the only weak point to an otherwise AWESOME product. 

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

I used these until the cord where the plug in came apart.  I am in the process of sending them back since I had them for a very short while, but if you have these or get them definately put some tape around the plug to beef it up as it is the only weak point to an otherwise AWESOME product. 

I had a pair of the PMX70 that died within a year (my sweaty ears drowned them), and the company replaced them with the newer model with no questions or hassle.  Great service.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Stranger than you know

I have a Clip+

Reading reviews about it, people seem to have mixed experiences. Some report its a good & cheap player , others complain about them breaking in a few months (or weeks ... or days). Maybe the quality control is not quite what it should be.

Personally, my only issue is with the rather low maximum volume.

Mine actually survived a trip through the washing machine in the pocket of my running shorts. Oops. I let it dry for a week before turning it on. At first the controls were a bit ... quirky ... and it turned off unexpectedly a few times, but a two months after the washing incident, the player is back to normal. We'll see how long it lasts.

The controls are not easy to use while running, but that doesnt bother me.

TammyinGP

I appreciate all the feedback. I don't run with music, but one day borrowed my dads sandisk and did some trail running near my house. I must say the 10 miles went by much quicker! I doubt I'll make a habit of running with music because I prefer to just be in tune with my surroundings, but for some runs, like the occassional TM or intervals at the track, the music might be a nice change of pace (and maybe make my pace faster too!).

so, I went ahead and ordered the Clip and I got a pair of those inexpensive Philips over the ear headphones. I probably would have preferred with Sennheiser's but I didn't feel like paying more for a pair of headphones than what the Clip costs. so because cost was a factor and it'll just be an occasssional usage thing for me, I went the lower cost route.

thanks again for the feedback. it's been very helpful to me.

Tammy