Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

TJoseph

Travis; Maybe you could run a half-marathon race in training but I sure couldn't and don't know many who could. Running some mile reps at HM pace and running a 12-mile run at that pace are 2 entirely different things. Now when you add 4 more days at the same pace it borders on the..uh, well....impossible.
    I am not a sub 3 marathoner, but I wanted to contribute this: There is only one runner who finished Twin Cities this year in 3:06:14 and he can run fast enough to complete a sub 3 marathon: A simple Google search for his name will show he completed a half in 2007 in 1:25:02: A few months later he finished Twin Cities in 3:39:29 MTA: I removed the links in case he didn't want his name published.
    kcam

I am not a sub 3 marathoner, but I wanted to contribute this: There is only one runner who finished Twin Cities this year in 3:06:14 and he can run fast enough to complete a sub 3 marathon: A simple Google search for his name will show he completed a half in 2007 in 1:25:02: A few months later he finished Twin Cities in 3:39:29 MTA: I removed the links in case he didn't want his name published.
      Ok, seriously Ebster - do some data entry and fill out your training in the log here so we can see EXACTLY what you did leading up to that TC result. Your training paces/distances just don't add up to a 3:06 marathon even if the wheels fell off. If I could train at the paces/distances you reported I don't think a sub-3 would be any harder than just showing up to the race without a broken leg.

King of Sparta

How is Ireland this time of year? Some day my wife and I will take a trip to Ireland - When do you think the best time of year to visit?
        Not too bad really - raining of course, but you get used to that. Dublin should be about 14 degrees C at the end of October, which would suit me fine for marathon running. If you're coming over to visit, I would think about May or September if you can. It gets pretty busy with tourists over the summer, and the weather is often worse in July and August anyway.
        He is 180 inches tall!
        It's all the Guinness - over here 180 is about average height. Pity the system didn't transcribe my weight in kilos as well - I'd be 69 pounds.
        2008 Goals:
        - Sub 1:00 10 mile
        - Sub 3:00 marathon
          Thanks for the vote of confidence, Lloyd. I think you should join this thread. There are several who aren't making their try until next year. To run the race you did with all that you had to deal with before St. George and in the actual race, I think you have established yourself as a legitimate sub-3 threat.
          Alright Jim, I'm in as a long shot for St. George next year. There was a moment this year (my August 30 training run) when I ran the toughest 20 miles of the St. George course (the week after the Crim), when I felt really good and thought based on my training 3 hours was an outside shot. It seemed like I went backwards, however, the next few weeks and I need to figure it out next year. It is tough finding the right intensity in training (without overtraining). Also maybe the wind will change directions next year. Smile
            Alright Jim, I'm in as a long shot for St. George next year. There was a moment this year (my August 30 training run) when I ran the toughest 20 miles of the St. George course (the week after the Crim), when I felt really good and thought based on my training 3 hours was an outside shot. It seemed like I went backwards, however, the next few weeks and I need to figure it out next year. It is tough finding the right intensity in training (without overtraining). Also maybe the wind will change directions next year. Smile
            That's the thing with the marathon. The timing has to be just right if you don't have overkill for your goal. It's one of the many things that make it such a challenge. You were doing some BIG workouts, that's for sure. I've found that I can handle only one big one each weak with a second one that's more in the moderate range--usually 12-13 miles worth at the most. In any case there is a major cumulative affect if you can string a couple years together with this type of training. Probably the best barometer for me has been the half marathons: 2005 - 1:29:23, 2006 - 1:29:25, 2007 - 1:26:33, 2008 - 1:24:09. After that 2nd year I thought things had gotten as good as they were going to until fiinally things started to happen. You're still young Wink
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            DoppleBock

Whistle Stop Marathon - October 11 Ashland, WI - Fall colors were at peak and it was beautiful Forgot my bag with my shoes and clothes - Had some old trainers and adequate clothing ... so no huge loss. This marathon should set up fast as it is run on a old RR bed with crushed limestone that drops 600 vertical feet and no significant ups. I think at no time was the grade droping more than 2%, so very gradual. It had rained most the week before and the course is a major ATV trail. I was suprised the 1st 6 miles were soft with lots of loose dirt, I kept moving from side to side of the trail looking for solid footing. Mile 6-25 were better, sometimes it would be hard pan and really good footing, other times soft lose dirt (Reminded me of running on the beach) It was not horrible, but to me it sucked up all the benefit of a nice downhill course. Weather was low 50s at the start to low 60s at the finish. There was 8-10 mph head wind. but there is fairly dense trees most the course, so generally it had the effect of maybe a 4-6 mph headwind. I think it would have felt hot, so the wind was nice to keep cool. I ran a decent race - I was ok until mile # 23 - only real rough mile (7:13), I think all others were under 7:00. I realy enjoyed this marathon - Felt great afterward. The soft trail is a blessing for recovery - I ran 5 today and golfed 18 and feel no real effect of yesterdays effort. 1st 10 miles = 1:08:03 2nd 10 miles = 1:07:38 last 10 k = 42:59 Final marathon time 2:58:40 Next up - 22 days - Trail to Rails marathon - November 2nd Good running to all -

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

kcam

Congrats on a good race, DB. That sounds like a tough course to go sub-3 on what with the soft dirt and headwind. I have never been felt good enough to run 5 the day after a marathon! Must be the shoes miles!
                  Way to go D Bock. I saw the good news soon afterwards. As usual, another great job of pacing, although not quite perfect as it often is. Anyone who wants advice on how to pace the marathon should talk to you. Don't forget to drop back in and see us as you move on to new challenges. Your contributions are always welcome. Congratulations on being the first graduate of our thread. I will start a "Graduates List" right below the equivalent times chart on page 1, 2nd post.
                  Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                  DoppleBock

Thanks Hey Jim - I plan on keep posting and I still have a goal to run a sub 3:00 - I would like to run a sub 2:50 at the January marathon - 2:49 is sub 3:00 if I understand my math right Smile Next up though is the Trails to Rails marathon - Nov 2nd - Another railroad bed - But this one has a couple of tunnels - 1 is over 1/2 mile long - to go through. It will be fun!

kcam

My sub-3 try is coming up 10/26. My question to the readers of the thread is what do you think my running should look like between now and then? I had thought I'd do 4-6 miles per day all at easy to very easy pace except for two workouts - this Wednesday a 10 miler at 6:50 pace and this Sunday another 10 miler at 6:50 pace. Do y'all think that's too much mileage at MP? Any suggestions or thoughts for me to mull over? Thanks.
                        A good recovery following last week's half. Very encouraged by Saturday's 20. Finished last 5 in 33:50 with mile 20 at 6:36. Now it's time for an easy week leading up to another 1/2 mar on Sunday. Week ending Sun 10/12/08: Mon – 8 at 8:24 on the grass Tue – 7 at 8:25 on grass Wed – 8 at 8:09 on bike path including 4 x 800 (3:10, 3:10, 3:03, 2:58) Thu - 8 at 8:16 on grass Fri – 7 at 8:11 on grass Sat – 20 at 7:14 on rolling asphalt; Miles 1-5 at 7:30, 6-15 at 7:20, 16-20 at 6:46. Sun – 7 at 8:43 on grass Total Miles - 65
                        DoppleBock

My sub-3 try is coming up 10/26. My question to the readers of the thread is what do you think my running should look like between now and then? I had thought I'd do 4-6 miles per day all at easy to very easy pace except for two workouts - this Wednesday a 10 miler at 6:50 pace and this Sunday another 10 miler at 6:50 pace. Do y'all think that's too much mileage at MP? Any suggestions or thoughts for me to mull over? Thanks.
                          I think it depends on your normal routine. 2 week out I usually do 70% normal mileage with 2 speed workouts: 1 - 12 or 13 days out and 1 - 10 days. For me if I usually do 6x1 mile @ LAT, I will do 3-4 x 1 mile. If I usually do 5x5 minutes @ Vo2 max, I will do 3-4 x 4 minutes. In both cases, if the workout is going poorly, I shut it down. Week of marathon - 8 days out - a 12-14 mile easy run. 7 days out and easy day - 6 days out 8-10 miles with 2-3 x 5 minutes @ LAT - 5 days out and easy day - 4 days out 8 miles with 2x1 mile @ MP - 3 days out easy 2 days out easy 1 day out 4 easy with 5x30 second striders marathon day You have to figure out what works for you, my goal is to taper but keep some intensity to keep from going flat.

DoppleBock

Week in review M 12/5 4x5 minutes @ CV T 6/4 W 10/4 3x1 mile @ LAT Th 6 F 4 + 5 striders SA 27 with 26.2 @ MP SU 5 Total 83 + 10 miles walking + 18 holes golf

DoppleBock

How are our sub 3 runners doing this week - I have run easy for 4 days post marathon and am recovered enough for a speed workout tonight.

ON DECK: dacook - 10/19/08 Denver, Denver CO Racon2r - 10/19/08 GMAA Marathon, VT Good luck! Still waiting for reports from dcv2002 and busiman. Dcv ran 3:14:57 at Chicago, per log, and busiman does't keep a log. I'm running another half on Sunday. Kencamet is tapering for Silcon Valley next on 26th.