Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Good luck Chicago racers and others too!!

Congrats all on some fine racing.

Just got back from Portland marathon.  Sorry to say I have to stay on the list until Boston.  I did run a masters pr of

over 6 minutes in 3:00:18.   I'm sorry I didn't break 3 but I ran a good solid race and was with the pacer until the end.  I was 116th of over 9700 registered and 2nd in 50-54 age group of 330 or so.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Are we there yet?

Great race ksunr!!!

Perhaps we will both get our goal in Boston.

Great day to be alive!

I did run a masters pr of

over 6 minutes in 3:00:18.   I'm sorry I didn't break 3 but I ran a good solid race and was with the pacer until the end.  I was 116th of over 9700 registered and 2nd in 50-54 age group of 330 or so.

Tough break on the 18 seconds but that is, literally, a small thing, compared to the awesome result. A 6  minute pr and a second place age group out of 330!  Way to go. I bet the age grade equivalent is into the 2:40's

Congratulations,

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

I did run a masters pr of

I feel your pain. I ran 3:00:17 in Dec. for a 6 minute plus pr.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

KS,

This as to be bittersweet, but I would think with a lot more sweet than bitter. I believe this is the best age-graded time so far on our thread. My research says you are 54. If so WAVA says 2:35:44.

Outstanding run!

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Yes it is more sweet than bitter.  I know I've got a 2:55 in me at Boston.   Yes, you can record that somewhere

I'll be 55 in 4 weeks and would have won that age group by 3 mins.   The best part of this race was that I really "raced" the third place finisher the last 2-3 miles.  We passed each other several times during that stretch and I got him by a mere 12 seconds.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

DLJ

3:00:18.   I'm sorry I didn't break 3 but I ran a good solid race and was with the pacer until the end.  I was 116th of over 9700 registered and 2nd in 50-54 age group of 330 or so.

KSRUNR that is an awesome result, but I do feel the heartbreak on the 18 seconds but there is always next time.

Why does Australia have to be in front becasue I think there are many great stories to come out of Chicago.

3:37:06.

Some might say, we shouldn't have got on board sub-3 hours so quickly. LOL - but Jim's preamble suggests a looonnnggg term goal. Was trying for around 3:20 but not unhappy given it was my first marathon attempt. Back to the training and you you will see a much better second round effort in 2010 (Jim I will let you know when I find an appropriate race) with more aerobic fitness. Can I re-iterate congratulations to everyone who has conquoered the 3:00 mark as I don't think you really appreciate it till you have run one. So congratulations and can't wait to hear the exciting stories from Chicago. Good Luck guys.

DLJ

Hey DLJ (or any other Aussies) - what's a good web site to find races in either the Sydney or Gold Coast areas!

Hey Ken,

Did you find a race that you were going to run towards the end of November. I am working nights up till the 25th but have the 26th off. If you wanted to run that 10k in Brisbane on that day could probably work something out Re: transport to run it with you. Anyway let me know or drop me an e-mail dwane_jackson@hotmail.com. Hope the race goes well.

Dwane

mikeymike

Dakota RR in 2:58:00!

Runners run

nice job dakota!

I was 13 secods behind.  2:58:13, slight negative split with a 1:29:08 first half and a 5 minute PR.  

perfect weather for running.

- the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
                        2:55:53 on my watch. Good day for running. Freezing afterwards.
                          Congratulations Alan, Dakota and DCV2002. Fantastic achievement. Ksrunr - my heart goes out to you but that is still a fantastic time and massive PR. Well done.

Great early results from Chicago. Congratulations to Dakota, Alan (I checked out the updates on your blog - that was some mighty fine pacing), and DCV.

DLJ - I know how those mixed feelings go. I totally agree with you though, that after trying (and failing!) I've got a lot more respect for everyone, not only those that succeed, but anyone who puts in the miles of training and goes out there and gives it a shot.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                            DLJ

Dakota, Alan and DCV - now that is what we are looking for - 3 absolutely fantastic results at Chicago. Congratulations guys on brilliant runs, awesome pacing and for seriously destroying the 3 hour barrier. Can't wait to read the race reports. That is a fantastic weekend so congratulations again on going under the 3 hours and another marathon under the belt.

Dwane

Sub 3 fail--sorry.

I was slowed down by not just one, but two problems during the race. Early in the race I could tell that my left hamstring wasn't feeling right. But if I figured that if I kept on moving that things might be okay. Then I started feeling a blister develop on my left foot. I tried to keep going, but after mile 15, I pulled over at a med station to try to get it treated, at least enough to let me continue with the race, 'cuz there was no way I was going to DNF. The split during that mile, BTW, was 13:13, which pretty much took me out of the running for sub 3:00.

I tried to make up some time in the first couple of miles after getting back on the course, but with the problems with both the blister and the hamstring (which was getting worse), I decided to just focus on the sub 3:10. As long as I remained in the vicinity of the 3:10 pace teams, I felt like I was okay. I finished in 3:09:41, a PR by almost 15 minutes and my first time earning a BQ, but short of the time I thought that I should have been able to get, based on my training over the past year.

Hopefully I can get my sub 3 in Boston. Meanwhile, thanks for letting this sub 3 wannabe hang out on this thread.

Post Asthma Era PRs: 5K--18:39 (Mar 2016), 10K--39:40 (Feb 2018), HM--1:28:04 (Jan 2017), MAR--2:59:12 (November 2017)