Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

DLJ

NeedACleaverName - that is a great run under the circumstances and through the injury. Congratulations on the BQ and a PR of 15 minutes which is never a bad consolation prize. I am sure that you will get the sub 3 hours next time. 3:09:XX you should definitely be here on teh sub 3 hour thread but you are right it is nice of these great runners to let the dreamers hang out and be motivated by them.
      First, congratulations to all those that reached their goal, and completed the race today.  What an exhilerating race with fans lined the course nearly the whole way.

I was doing okay for 30K, and was on target for about a 2:55, then the wheels fell off. Body just decided to shut down: quads and hamstrings were cramping up. Unfortunately, I sensed something was clicking right at the start.  I slumbered in with a 3:16.

Way off what I thought I was capable of given a recent 1/2M and very consistent training with no blips, but I'm happy to have finished my first marathon in 14 years without injury -- that was really goal number 1.  

I'm thinking about trying a spring marathon somewhere near here and running a very different race. 

Congratulations new graduates!!!   You may move your tassels over to the other side.  Enjoy your victories.  You've earned every bit of it.   Some are very close and next cycle will get us to graduation as well.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Are we there yet?

Sub 3 fail--sorry.

I was slowed down by not just one, but two problems during the race. Early in the race I could tell that my left hamstring wasn't feeling right. But if I figured that if I kept on moving that things might be okay. Then I started feeling a blister develop on my left foot. I tried to keep going, but after mile 15, I pulled over at a med station to try to get it treated, at least enough to let me continue with the race, 'cuz there was no way I was going to DNF. The split during that mile, BTW, was 13:13, which pretty much took me out of the running for sub 3:00.

I tried to make up some time in the first couple of miles after getting back on the course, but with the problems with both the blister and the hamstring (which was getting worse), I decided to just focus on the sub 3:10. As long as I remained in the vicinity of the 3:10 pace teams, I felt like I was okay. I finished in 3:09:41, a PR by almost 15 minutes and my first time earning a BQ, but short of the time I thought that I should have been able to get, based on my training over the past year.

Hopefully I can get my sub 3 in Boston. Meanwhile, thanks for letting this sub 3 wannabe hang out on this thread.

Personaly all things considered I think you ran a jam up race man! You killed it!  13:13 mile, i'd love to know how antsy you were @ that med station.. See you in Boston!

Congratulations to our new graduates:

alan fletcher - 2:58:13

Dakota RR - 2:58:00

dcv2002 - 2:55:53

Great racing, guys!

and for those of you who didn't make it, I know that some of you were heavy favorites to graduate based on great training and prep races but it just wasn't to be this time. This is s humbling distance where the slightest little problem becomes magnified many times over the course of the race. Remember too that all the miles you put in preparation are not wasted. They will be a huge benefit to you in the weeks and months to follow.

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            flovesparko

Great job to everyone that ran yesterday!  For those that didn't make the goal, I think Jim said it best, the training was not wasted.     Recover and enjoy some well deserving rest.

Personaly all things considered I think you ran a jam up race man! You killed it!  13:13 mile, i'd love to know how antsy you were @ that med station.. See you in Boston!

That's what I was thinking! I can't even get my shoes off and back on in 6 minutes if I'm doing it myself. Really well done race with all the circumstances. I'm learning a lot from this thread.

Ger

Well done to all of you guys who didn't quite make, you will all definitely get it next time.

Any advive on what splits I should use for my sub 3 hr attempt would be greatly appreciated. I tend to start slow and then get the seconds back as the race progresses but I am a little worried about doing this in the marathon as I dont want to end up going up too fast.

I ran a marathon back in 2005 and ran 3hrs 35m 58s, I wasn't really a serious runner then and only did a marathon as it was something that i wanted to say that I had done.  But I got bitten by the bug. The birth of my children and Illness has curtailed my running since then but I am back now and will not set any goal except a sub 3 hour marathon. To be honest I will see my running career as a failure if I never achieve this. I am 39 now and have just had my best 6 monts training ever,  my overall average for the lase 20 weeks running has been 50 miles per week. All advice would be really appreciated.

Ger.

Well done to all of you guys who didn't quite make, you will all definitely get it next time.

Any advive on what splits I should use for my sub 3 hr attempt would be greatly appreciated. I tend to start slow and then get the seconds back as the race progresses but I am a little worried about doing this in the marathon as I dont want to end up going up too fast.

I ran a marathon back in 2005 and ran 3hrs 35m 58s, I wasn't really a serious runner then and only did a marathon as it was something that i wanted to say that I had done.  But I got bitten by the bug. The birth of my children and Illness has curtailed my running since then but I am back now and will not set any goal except a sub 3 hour marathon. To be honest I will see my running career as a failure if I never achieve this. I am 39 now and have just had my best 6 monts training ever,  my overall average for the lase 20 weeks running has been 50 miles per week. All advice would be really appreciated.

Ger.

based on  my failed attempts at trying to run even splits, I'd encourage you to try to start slow and then pick it up later in the race.  Going out too fast in a marathon, at least for me, spells dissaster later in the race.

Ger

Well done on the effort it took to finish, bank  the feelings and determination it took mentally and physically out of you to finish away in your memory it will stand to you next time.  Remember what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Anything that could have gone wrong for you did and you still ran 3:09. YOUR SUB 3 NEXT TIME.
                      danworley

reporting in to say that i also broke 3 hours at chicago on 10/11/09.  2:58:09.  within seconds of two other sub threes on this post.  So i was excited and things unfolded perfectly.  started in the a coral and got off to a good start.  1:29:56 at the half and picked it up slightlyfor the 2:58:09 finish.  felt excellent for a marathon nearly the entire time.  Want to thank coach Ron Byland for the excellent training plan and support.  Ran with Chris DeNucchi (another sub 3 qualifier yesterday) through mile 23 when his parole officer came out of the crowd and chris took off with a couple of 6:00 miles.  He finished in 2:57:00.  Congratulations everyone!
                          Congrats to you too Dan.  I suppose I could get a parole officer to come to Boston if that's the key!!  Smile

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Way to go Dan. Another outstanding race for the RA'ers. It's pretty remarkable how close you Dakota and Alan were at the finish. Were any of you guys aware of each other before, during, or after the race?
                            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                              Damn. My sub 3 hour attempt at the end of the month looks like a long shot now. I took a gamble and pushed my distance / ramp up a bit too much and ended up with a strained calf (again).

No running for a week (at least) on orders/recomendation of the Physiotherapist I saw today. If the exercises, stretches, regular visits to the physio', and X training on the exercycle  work some magic then I'll make it to the start line, but a 3 week taper may be a bit too long for a PB.

Oh well - it looks like I have plenty of time for a (much slower) build up in preparation for my NEXT marathon.

Running - cheaper than therapy

A massive congratulations to all the sub 3 successes this weekend, brilliant runs Dakota, Alan, dcv, & dan worley!

And well done NeedaCleverName & BoilerTom, it sounds like you both had injury problems but still produced great times in the circumstances, heal up well and I look forward to you both seeing 2 something in the near future!

Ksunr, fantastic run, I know those few seconds must be massively frustrating but as Jim said your age graded time is the best yet on this thread.

DLJ, great debut too, some more miles and you will be knocking on the door soon enough!