Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Damn. My sub 3 hour attempt at the end of the month looks like a long shot now. I took a gamble and pushed my distance / ramp up a bit too much and ended up with a strained calf (again).

No running for a week (at least) on orders/recomendation of the Physiotherapist I saw today. If the exercises, stretches, regular visits to the physio', and X training on the exercycle  work some magic then I'll make it to the start line, but a 3 week taper may be a bit too long for a PB.

Oh well - it looks like I have plenty of time for a (much slower) build up in preparation for my NEXT marathon.

If you can run a hm in 1:22, you show have no problem hitting a sub 3, even with a longer than desired taper. If I were in your shoes, I would go for it!

If you can run a hm in 1:22, you show have no problem hitting a sub 3, even with a longer than desired taper. If I were in your shoes, I would go for it!

that's what I thought.... but it didn't work out for me. Perhaps I ran the first half a couple minutes too fast, but I bonked by mile 19.  Pace... pace, pace...

Finally back home (and to work unfortunately). So my official time is 2:55:54, so I guess they round up to the nearest second... Uploaded my splits to my log. I'm happy with the result, but feel I left the 55 seconds on the course due to...

1. Forgetting to turn off auto-lap on Garmin before the start. So while we were running under the tunnel on Columbus Ave. I was busy shutting Auto-Lap off on my Garmin. Probably cost me a couple of seconds there, but did make my 1st mile be my slowest mile.

2. Since I was running for charity, another person running for the same charity asked me to hold is heavy water bottle  between miles 2-3 while he futzed around putting his HRM strap back on. After a minute or so, I said I had enough...

3. Right around the half way point my left ankle, achilles (or everything that attaches down their) got sore/painful with each step. I needed to really watch my steps/footings. Between miles 20-20.5, there is an "uphill" over a bridge and then a "downhill". I felt very close to really pulling something in my left ankle. So  I dialed it back to make sure I would finish.

4. I held back a lot later than I planned before opening it up. I basically waited until mile 25/mile to go signs before I picked it up a little. Last mile was 6:41, ran the last 0.22 @ 6:10/mile. I was tired coming back up Michigan. There was a slight headwind, but I was able to pick it up. I passed a boat load of people in that last stretch....

I think with those 4 points above I left those 55 seconds on the course. Oh well. I couldn't even walk yesterday my left achilles was so sore, even to the touch. Today feels a little better...

Only disappointment is that I was 54 seconds from a NYQ and probably 40ish seconds from 1st corral in Boston. Oh well....

Next goal I think is sub-2:50 in Boston in April

Finally back home (and to work unfortunately). So my official time is 2:55:54, so I guess they round up to the nearest second... Uploaded my splits to my log. I'm happy with the result, but feel I left the 55 seconds on the course due to...

1. Forgetting to turn off auto-lap on Garmin before the start. So while we were running under the tunnel on Columbus Ave. I was busy shutting Auto-Lap off on my Garmin. Probably cost me a couple of seconds there, but did make my 1st mile be my slowest mile.

2. Since I was running for charity, another person running for the same charity asked me to hold is heavy water bottle  between miles 2-3 while he futzed around putting his HRM strap back on. After a minute or so, I said I had enough...

3. Right around the half way point my left ankle, achilles (or everything that attaches down their) got sore/painful with each step. I needed to really watch my steps/footings. Between miles 20-20.5, there is an "uphill" over a bridge and then a "downhill". I felt very close to really pulling something in my left ankle. So  I dialed it back to make sure I would finish.

4. I held back a lot later than I planned before opening it up. I basically waited until mile 25/mile to go signs before I picked it up a little. Last mile was 6:41, ran the last 0.22 @ 6:10/mile. I was tired coming back up Michigan. There was a slight headwind, but I was able to pick it up. I passed a boat load of people in that last stretch....

I think with those 4 points above I left those 55 seconds on the course. Oh well. I couldn't even walk yesterday my left achilles was so sore, even to the touch. Today feels a little better...

Only disappointment is that I was 54 seconds from a NYQ and probably 40ish seconds from 1st corral in Boston. Oh well....

Next goal I think is sub-2:50 in Boston in April

Hey - I saw you about mile 4-5ish.  you had just caught up with RTN and I was about 10 yards back, I thought about joining you guys but wisely decided not to as I knew you were both going to be faster than me.  great race out there!  i also did #1 and was doing my garmin adjustments on the fly in mile 1. 

- Alan

- the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
          DoppleBock

1st of all DCV2002 - Great race !

Recover well

2nd - Do people really need their Garmins to race?  I personally love going by feel and not having that kindof information available.  I do wear a watch, but if I am in a zone I might not check my split for 4-5 miles.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Dopple - I wear my garmin just to analyze it after the race.  Generally check splits only at half.

How did you do in your 24 hr race.   One of my running buddies was there.   Don Winkley 72 years old, tall and gray headed.  Did you meet him.  He's hard to miss.  He ran just under 100 miles and set American age group record I believe.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

kcam

Everyone, nicely done in Chicago!  Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

DB - don't NEED a Garmin to race, obviously, but I love to obsess over the data after the race so I almost always wear the Garmin.

Ger

that's what I thought.... but it didn't work out for me. Perhaps I ran the first half a couple minutes too fast, but I bonked by mile 19.  Pace... pace, pace...

Hey as a matter of interest what were your mile splits up to 19. I have ran a 1hr22m29s half marathon about 3 weeks and  I am doing the Dublin Marathon in 13 days time.  Any advise that you can give on what / what not to do would be greatly appreciated. Hoping for sub 3.

Using a Garmin in Chicago is just using it as a glorified stopwatch. As you can see in my log, downtown it worked wonders (NOT). However, it kept me honest as I wanted to run around 6:40/mile. I ran more by feel on Sunday versus Garmin, and only had current lap pace on one field and only showing for one of the three cycled fields.... Just so happened that 6:40ish was my comfortable pace on Sunday. Those last couple of miles probably would have been faster if my achilles wasn't sore...

Hey as a matter of interest what were your mile splits up to 19. I have ran a 1hr22m29s half marathon about 3 weeks and  I am doing the Dublin Marathon in 13 days time.  Any advise that you can give on what / what not to do would be greatly appreciated. Hoping for sub 3.

I don't have all the splits, but here's what I remember:

mile 1 in 6:50

mile 2 in 6:50

mile 3 missed

Had a few in the 6:40 range

Had two in a row at 6:38

Backed off to the high 6:40 range (near 6:50)

Here's the times from the results page of the marathon:

Split Time
                      START TIME 07:30:35
                      05K 00:20:54
                      10K 00:41:32
                      15K 01:02:15
                      20K 01:23:06
                      HALF 01:27:39
                      25K 01:44:19
                      30K 02:06:27
                      35K 02:31:37
                      40K 03:02:57

I feel really unqualifed to give advice given how I died after 30K, but what I would say is to start conservatively for at least the first 10 miles.  Drink fluids early even if you're not thirsy (my big mistake).  Oh, and don't go on a family outting apple picking the day before where you're walking around for hours.  

Last Runner

I think you had a choice. Be an apple picker or a marathoner. Your chose the former.

You can't be both in the same weekend.

DLJ

DCV - great run. Shame about the minute or so that you needed to get the qualifying times for Boston and NYC but very impressive regardless. Can't wait to see how you go towards 2:50 in the next race. Congratulations

Dwane

Way to go Dan. Another outstanding race for the RA'ers. It's pretty remarkable how close you Dakota and Alan were at the finish. Were any of you guys aware of each other before, during, or after the race?

it turns out that i was right around the same time as a number of my "virtual running friends".  of course, being virtual i have never actually met them so wouldn't know if it was them or not!  

dakota - is that you on the right with the visor and red shirt?  i think i just crossd the line before you, but i started earlier so you beat me by net time.

link to finish pic

- the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
                            Ger

I don't have all the splits, but here's what I remember:

mile 1 in 6:50

mile 2 in 6:50

mile 3 missed

Had a few in the 6:40 range

Had two in a row at 6:38

Backed off to the high 6:40 range (near 6:50)

Here's the times from the results page of the marathon:

Split Time
                              START TIME 07:30:35
                              05K 00:20:54
                              10K 00:41:32
                              15K 01:02:15
                              20K 01:23:06
                              HALF 01:27:39
                              25K 01:44:19
                              30K 02:06:27
                              35K 02:31:37
                              40K 03:02:57

I feel really unqualifed to give advice given how I died after 30K, but what I would say is to start conservatively for at least the first 10 miles.  Drink fluids early even if you're not thirsy (my big mistake).  Oh, and don't go on a family outting apple picking the day before where you're walking around for hours.  

Thanks for the info, thats also the kind of pace I was hoping to run too maybe hit halfway about a minute later than you though. I usually start slow and pick up as my run progresses so hopefully it will work out for me. I am very worried about the last 6 miles as I only got up to 4 x 20 milers in training  and the quickest of these was an average 7m10s mile pace. Ideally I would have liked to get a 22 miler in or a 20 mile run at goal marathon pace. I did a 5 mile time trial today in 29m56s so I have the speed in my legs just worried about the endueance now.  Thanks for the tip on the fkuids and rest assured I will be a couch potato the day before watching box set after box set of movies.  When are you planning to do another marathon.

Ger

Hey - I saw you about mile 4-5ish.  you had just caught up with RTN and I was about 10 yards back, I thought about joining you guys but wisely decided not to as I knew you were both going to be faster than me.  great race out there!  i also did #1 and was doing my garmin adjustments on the fly in mile 1. 

- Alan

Hi Alan just had a look at your blog it's absolutely fantastic, hope to get sub 3 myself in Dublin in 12 days time. Have averaged 50+ miles per week for the last 20 weeks, managed 4 x 20 milers at 7m30s pace, 7m25s pace, 7m10s pace and did the last one at 7m07s pace.

Ran a PB for 10k in August of 37m30s and a PB for the Half Marathon in September of 1hr22m29s, Did a 5 mile time trail yesterday in 29m56s so hopefully with a nice easy run into the marathon, favourable weather conditions  and some luck on the day I will get it.  Any advice or comments you could give me would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Ger.