Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

kcam

Tapering, or whatever I feel like doing, for the 26th. I'll probably get in ~50 miles this week. Ran easy on Mon, a lite hill workout Tue, easy yesterday. Today I plan on an abbreviated Threshold interval day. Easy tomorrow and then 10M either Sat or Sun with a few miles at MP. Picked up a little cold on Monday but it's really not bad at all, seems like I'm already feeling better. Good luck dacook and racon2r! MTA: Hey, wanted to ask another question of the veterans here - What does a warmup for a marathon look like? In the past, I have never warmed up - just stood at the starting line and started running when the gun went off. I always figured I had a whole bunch of miles to get in the groove. Good/bad?
      Well, as Jim pointed out, I was no where near 3:00 in Chicago. (3:14:57.xx) Most of that probably is due to the fact that after miles 14-15 in Chicago it was probably in the high 70s, low 80s and the Sun is beating down on you. Some if it is probably due to the fact that I was sick with a virus the Fri-Sun the weekend before the race and some of it probably was due to the fact that I wasn't quite in sub-3 shape. When I saw that temps at the start were in the high 60s and slightly humid. I decided to cut back to 7:00/miles for as long as I could. The temperature was in the low 70s by the start of the race. My log has my splits, but needless to say. I was anywhere between 6:48-7:06 from miles 1 through 15. Feeling very good. Trying to do the best I can to stay hydrated. I was carrying a bottle with either Gatorade or Water for most of the race. I slowed down slighty 16-18 (7:10, 7:14, 7:18). Then 19 was getting a little tired (7:29) and then mile 20 was where I started to feel the wheels come off (7:47). Then I basically hit the wall from mile 21 in. Running basically 8:30s until mile 26 when I realized that even my BQ was slipping away. So I picked it up to a blazing 8:21 mile 26. And finish in 7:30 pace for the last 0.22 miles. So no where near a PR, but at least a BQ so I came away from something. I went 1:31:26 through the half and 1:43:32 to the finish an over 12-minute positive split thanks mainly due to the Indian Summer that swept through Chicago again. I came in 1009th place out of 31,000+ finishers (over 2000 dropped out). 1009th place in 2006 (the last time it was cool) was about 3:00:XX then. The last 10k was not fun, though I think I might have had too much pity on myself the last 10k and maybe could have run a little faster. I did stop to walk for a couple of seconds, but that felt worse. There were a lot of people cramping up on the way in. My wife saw people just simply drop at the 26 mile mark going up Roosevelt. Luckily it wasn't humid or it would have been way worse. I've never had my legs go like that in any run. It was rather quick. Probably within a 1/4 to 1/2 mile where I went from feeling good to utter death. The first 17 miles I actually felt like I was holding back. If it was 20 degrees cooler I'm sure I would have been a lot faster in the 1st half since I purposely held back because of the warmth. I was sick of Gatorade after the race, but the free beer did taste nice. I haven't run since, but will start up again tomorrow. My plan is to run Boston in April. Though I think it will be tough to break 3 from back in corral 6/7 for that race, but I'm probably just going to run it for fun also. Then I think if I get into NY for 09 I'll do that. If not probably try maybe Steamtown or Philly or both. I will run Chicago again though. It is a great race, course and city. Just been cursed with horrible weather the past two years. Probably in 2011.
        Tapering, or whatever I feel like doing, for the 26th. I'll probably get in ~50 miles this week. Ran easy on Mon, a lite hill workout Tue, easy yesterday. Today I plan on an abbreviated Threshold interval day. Easy tomorrow and then 10M either Sat or Sun with a few miles at MP. Picked up a little cold on Monday but it's really not bad at all, seems like I'm already feeling better. Good luck dacook and racon2r! MTA: Hey, wanted to ask another question of the veterans here - What does a warmup for a marathon look like? In the past, I have never warmed up - just stood at the starting line and started running when the gun went off. I always figured I had a whole bunch of miles to get in the groove. Good/bad?
        Well since it was already warm in Chicago the only warmup I did was walk to the corral and stretch the hamstrings. That was it. I've never done a warmup for my 3 marathons. Why burn glycogen warming up, you'll need it come mile 25 and 26...
        kcam

Well since it was already warm in Chicago the only warmup I did was walk to the corral and stretch the hamstrings. That was it. I've never done a warmup for my 3 marathons. Why burn glycogen warming up, you'll need it come mile 25 and 26...
          That's what I've always done as well, with thinking exactly the same as yours. Anyone else do any warmup at all? Oh, and you absolutely WILL have a chance at sub-3 at Boston starting from whatever coral you're in. I've run Boston 5 times and not one of those times, once you get past mile 1 or so, have I felt 'held back' by the crowd. There ARE a lot of runners jostling you for several miles but they are all running fast. That's one of the beauties of Boston - you can run fast there. No walkers going four abreast. The course is fast. Why 'run it for fun', it's Boston - Go for it! MTA: Look at my marathon record - I have run 25 marathons with some 3:01's and 3:04-type runs (and 3:54's as well!) but I'm most satisfied by the only sub-3 I've ever run up to now - BOSTON.
            That's what I've always done as well, with thinking exactly the same as yours. Anyone else do any warmup at all? Oh, and you absolutely WILL have a chance at sub-3 at Boston starting from whatever coral you're in. I've run Boston 5 times and not one of those times, once you get past mile 1 or so, have I felt 'held back' by the crowd. There ARE a lot of runners jostling you for several miles but they are all running fast. That's one of the beauties of Boston - you can run fast there. No walkers going four abreast. The course is fast. Why 'run it for fun', it's Boston - Go for it! MTA: Look at my marathon record - I have run 25 marathons with some 3:01's and 3:04-type runs (and 3:54's as well!) but I'm most satisfied by the only sub-3 I've ever run up to now - BOSTON.
            I'm not saying I'm not going to go for it. Though with more than 6 months to go, its hard to say where I'll be by then, but I will race it for all its worth. But when I ran Boston last year it just seemed like the course was extremely crowded the entire way, but maybe its because I was a little slower...
            DoppleBock

ON DECK: dacook - 10/19/08 Denver, Denver CO Racon2r - 10/19/08 GMAA Marathon, VT Good luck! Still waiting for reports from dcv2002 and busiman. Dcv ran 3:14:57 at Chicago, per log, and busiman does't keep a log. I'm running another half on Sunday. Kencamet is tapering for Silcon Valley next on 26th.
              Give her hell dacok and Racon2r! You too Jim

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Lane

ON DECK: dacook - 10/19/08 Denver, Denver CO Racon2r - 10/19/08 GMAA Marathon, VT Good luck! Still waiting for reports from dcv2002 and busiman. Dcv ran 3:14:57 at Chicago, per log, and busiman does't keep a log. I'm running another half on Sunday. Kencamet is tapering for Silcon Valley next on 26th.
                GMAA marathon is on the 18th. Thanks for the luck!
                DoppleBock

Depends - I was in pretty good shape Houston 2006, but had about 1 mile walk from the hotel to the start - That walk + a little stretching was good enough. The most I have done is about 1.5 miles - starting with a supper light jog - ending up at goal marathon pace. I never have had issues with glycogen depletion - Just fatigue and dehydration. I would say the 90/10 rule - you are right on track - no need to do a warmup run - Better to have a cold now and kick it out way before the race. Taper on!

DoppleBock

I am shooting for a full week of miles, with only 2 speed work outs. I just ran easy Sunday - Wednesday and hope to have a good speed workout today and Saturday. Then time to start another taper Big grin Unless ... I just try a 1 week taper this time. I think that may be the way to go as 11/2 marathon is just for fun. Good running and racing to all -

Hi all, good luck dacook and Racon2r in your marathons and Jim in your half. Anyone else running this weekend? I'm half way between my last half and my next. Last two weeks for me have been spent trying to simply get some mileage into a busy schedule and a shortening day. After the last half I had a little ankle tenderness so held off on much above an easy pace but it seems to be clearing up. I'm planning another 65 mile week next week and then cut back just a little to 50 before the next half. This one will be hillier than the last, probably about 1 1/2 mins worth. I'm keeping a goal of sub-1.27 because I think that will actually be a slightly better performance than 1:25:41 on a flat as a pancake course. Last week. Total = 55 miles Sun 13 (1/2 marathon race) Mon 6 easy Tue 7 easy Wed 7 - 4 easy, 3 tempo Thur 8 easy Friday 6 easy Sat 8 easy This week. Projected total 65 miles Sun 16 - long for me, two 8 mile loops at 7.30 pace Mon 4 easy Tue 7 marathon pace ~7.00ish Wed 8 easy Thur 12 - 10 easy with 6 of them on a nice low tide beach and then picked it up for the last two. Fri planned 8 easy Sat planned 10 easy John
                      Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                      Lane

GMAA marathon is on the 18th. Thanks for the luck!
                        I just ran a 2:53:XX and came in 4th. Thanks for all the support/inspiration!
                          I just ran a 2:53:XX and came in 4th. Thanks for all the support/inspiration!
                          Wow. Great job. There's a pretty tough standard being set in this group! Inquiring minds request more details. How was the course? How were your splits? Congratulations on a fast time and a good placement. John
                          Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                          Lane

Wow. Great job. There's a pretty tough standard being set in this group! Inquiring minds request more details. How was the course? How were your splits? Congratulations on a fast time and a good placement. John
                            The course was pretty good, an out and back along Lake Champlain. The wind was mostly quiet, the sun was out, and the temperature was in the 40's. Couldn't have asked for better weather. Here are my splits: 6:12, 6:28, 7:01, 6:40, 6:43, 7:01, 6:53, 6:47, 6:44, 6:37, 6:48, 6:25, 6:16, 6:17, 5:59 Shocked, 6:19, 6:27, 6:27, 6:38, 6:41, 6:44, 6:53, 6:50, 6:26, 6:59, 6:39, 1:17. The most hilliest miles were right at the beginning and right at the end, and I was trying hard to catch another runner in the middle, so those miles were arguably too fast, and I was super-sore for the last couple miles. The eventual winner and second place runner went out really fast. Turns out the winner was running his first marathon too, but somehow managed to run a 2:26. Turns out, he was an ultra-marathoner, taking his first stab at the marathon as a tune-up race for some other, longer race.
                            kcam

Way to go Racon2r - you blew away that 3 hour mark! Amazing to me that you were able to finish so well with the varying paced miles you ran early. That 5:59 (and any number of your other fast miles) would have cost me dearly at the end. I think you have a lot of potential to go faster. Again, congratulations!
                              DoppleBock

Racon2r - Kick ass! Recover well Whats next?