Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Sounds perfect for flats to me... is there some reason to think they would be a problem for you, or a reason not to take this opportunity to find out? I'm slower than you, and I wear flats for the marathon.  Wearing trainers in a half should definitely add a second or two per mile.

Bob, for me, speed has less to do with my choice to wear flats than does biomechanics. I pronate moderately with a lower arch. Indeed, since I wear flats in 5k-5M distances I agonized over how much time I'd loose wearing 11 oz trainers versus the 8 oz flats. If it's 1 second per oz per mile, that suggests about 30-40 seconds advantage over 13 miles. That's enough advantage to ponder, but in the end I didn't risk since I didn't train longer in the flats. FWIW.

<returning from shoe tangent to topic>

Indeed, I had a good day to run. Finished 1:21:52 and other than the lack of competition to help pull me along, it was great running conditions: 42F, light wind and cloud cover. The splits are in my log. After starting mile 1 too fast I maintained a little time bank throughout and passing 10 miles in 1:02:34, I knew I had in hand.

We watched the NYCM broadcast from start-to-finish afterward. The combination of having a good race and watching Meb run has me pumped up to get back to the marathon. I'm looking to aim for 2:55 at Boston.

congrats on the half roots - great race & a nice PR!

And belated Well Dones to ken & bhearn & Ger too - I've been away so I hadn't seen your results until now.

DoppleBock

Indeed, I had a good day to run. Finished 1:21:52 and other than the lack of competition to help pull me along, it was great running conditions: 42F, light wind and cloud cover. The splits are in my log. After starting mile 1 too fast I maintained a little time bank throughout and passing 10 miles in 1:02:34, I knew I had in hand.

We watched the NYCM broadcast from start-to-finish afterward. The combination of having a good race and watching Meb run has me pumped up to get back to the marathon. I'm looking to aim for 2:55 at Boston.

I was out WED - Today,

Congrats roots on another great race.  Pretty soon you will knock off all my PRs - 1/2M (1:21:46)

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

bhearn

Wow, great race, Lloyd! You should definitely have a great shot at 2:55 at Boston. I'd think the weather would be a bigger source of uncertainty than the shape you'll be in.

roots - nice half.  that sub 1:20 is getting close........
              - the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com

Why is it sideways?

Good question--I'll let you know when I figure it out.  I'm still finding out what works for me but lately (in the last couple years) I've been doing MP workouts only in the last 6 to 8 weeks of marathon training.  And really only 3-4 workouts total in a marathon buildup.  For me, for now that seems like the right amount, maybe for some others it would be too much or too little.

God this is tough for me.

You get caught in the trap of thinking that it's the last few workouts that are really going to make the difference instead of the months and years of work behind you. And you try to prove to yourself that you're ready. So, you start swinging for the fences--3 or 4 times (or more) in the last 6 weeks leading up to the big swing. When what you oughta be doing is holding back, feeling good, storing up, saving and pinching so when you reach race day, the body just goes--launched like an arrow from the tensest of bows.

Nice job, roots. With that 1:21 HM PR, I'm thinking maybe 2:50 would be a good goal for Boston. You guys scare me with your fast HM PR's. Try to get used to some flats. I couldn't imagine running a marathon in 11oz trainers. (This is coming from someone that runs in 5+oz Lunar's).

I want to run sub-2:50 in Boston, which with a 1:26:40 HM PR (yes it is dated) would be rather interesting right now. Current fitness however, would probably put me around 3:10-3:15. Yes I've lost about 15-20 minutes in 3 weeks, UGH (but I've gained 7 lbs). Guess I've got a long way to go. 24 weeks from today.

And if you haven't registered for Boston yet, I would do so pretty soon.

DLJ

Roots,

Congratulations on a great PR and another amazing run. It must be great to start pondering the sub 1:20 barrier. Great running.

Dwane

Are we there yet?

Roots-

great run and PR..however, question?? Do you always run your easy runs at such a slow pace, no offense sir. 10+ per mile.

Perhaps that is why you have such fresh race legs. Or do you push a stroller occasionally? Or run backwards?

Please advise.

Roots-

great run and PR..however, question?? Do you always run your easy runs at such a slow pace, no offense sir. 10+ per mile.

Perhaps that is why you have such fresh race legs. Or do you push a stroller occasionally? Or run backwards?

Please advise.

If running alone on roads or paved surface, my everyday easy pace is normally in the range of 8:10-8:30. It's not often that push the pace on easy days or even get close to the faster end of "easy pace."

If running on trails (not bridal, but more rugged trail), I tend to run around 10:00 miles. Also "easy pace."

Looking at my log, you might have viewed either a trail run or a day where I run with others. Also, I do some personal coaching with runners at their easy pace of 10-11 minute miles. But you are correct - I do seem to run my easy days slower than most in this group. I hope this clarifies.

If running alone on roads or paved surface, my everyday easy pace is normally in the range of 8:10-8:30. It's not often that push the pace on easy days or even get close to the faster end of "easy pace."

If running on trails (not bridal, but more rugged trail), I tend to run around 10:00 miles. Also "easy pace."

Looking at my log, you might have viewed either a trail run or a day where I run with others. Also, I do some personal coaching with runners at their easy pace of 10-11 minute miles. But you are correct - I do seem to run my easy days slower than most in this group. I hope this clarifies.

It just goes to show that you don't have to hammer your training to race well. Very nice run at Inland Trail. This definitely puts you in range of having a realistic shot at sub-2:50.

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

It just goes to show that you don't have to hammer your training to race well. Very nice run at Inland Trail. This definitely puts you in range of having a realistic shot at sub-2:50.

Thanks Jim. Indeed, it's been inspiring to lurk in this thread. After witnessing some stellar fall marathons from others, it felt great to take a swing myself.

If anyone is interested, I wrote up a more detailed account in my blog.

Thanks Jim. Indeed, it's been inspiring to lurk in this thread. After witnessing some stellar fall marathons from others, it felt great to take a swing myself.

If anyone is interested, I wrote up a more detailed account in my blog.

Nice report Lloyd...and what a finish! I think you can go a lot faster too. Your mileage, while decent, isn't really much for a runner of your caliber. The same training approach you've been using---just  more of it, should get you to the promised land.

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Are we there yet?

Woohoo, I ran a 1:23 PR HM today on a hilly course.. Sub 3 is looking more and more realistic Smile