Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

DoppleBock

Monkey week is upon me.

I am not too smart having run a bunch of harder workouts last week - legs are still a little toasty today.  I am going with the 6 day taper.

Bad:  Weight is still @ 210 and the course if full of hills ... I do not run hills (Except the last 3 weeks)

Good:  I am coming off 15 weeks of really solid training and I am feeling pretty good.  Because of the weight, the speed is only @ 2:55 marathon, so I do not imagine I will break 3:00 on a really tough course as a flatlander.

I will just run it how ever I feel at the time - I know what marathon effort feels like and I will run a little under that to compensate for the hills.

Goal: not run a PW

If my body cooperates ... and I run a smart race, I would guess I am 3:03-3:06.

For the 1st time ever in a marathon ... I may Gollow walk some of the biggest hills Smile

Report back on Tuesday.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I will also be running the Surf City marathon Feb 7th with a goal of sub 2:45

At the risk of killing the thread again, I will respond with a Good Luck and add  your Surf City try to the list...Good Luck!
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        DoppleBock

Funny how that happens, but you know it is the slow season for marathons

Thank you!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Monkey week is upon me.

I am not too smart having run a bunch of harder workouts last week - legs are still a little toasty today.  I am going with the 6 day taper.

Bad:  Weight is still @ 210 and the course if full of hills ... I do not run hills (Except the last 3 weeks)

Good:  I am coming off 15 weeks of really solid training and I am feeling pretty good.  Because of the weight, the speed is only @ 2:55 marathon, so I do not imagine I will break 3:00 on a really tough course as a flatlander.

I will just run it how ever I feel at the time - I know what marathon effort feels like and I will run a little under that to compensate for the hills.

Goal: not run a PW

If my body cooperates ... and I run a smart race, I would guess I am 3:03-3:06.

For the 1st time ever in a marathon ... I may Gollow walk some of the biggest hills Smile

Report back on Tuesday.

Monkey is gonna hurt.

Bad.

jordirio

Hi

Today i've started my specific training for the next marathon in Barcelona with a sub 3 goal in march 2010

www.barcelonamarato.es

I will try

Previous PR last this year 2009:

10km 38'20''

HM 1h 23' 45''

M 3h 06' 26''

Best wishes

www.runningandthigs.blogspot.com

10km 38'19''

HM 1h22'07''

M 2h58'44'' 

Hi

Today i've started my specific training for the next marathon in Barcelona with a sub 3 goal in march 2010

www.barcelonamarato.es

I will try

10km 38'20''

HM 1h 23' 45''

M 3h 06' 26''

Your 10k and half PRs are both 2 seconds faster than mine, so following that logic you should run a 2:58:11 in your marathon!

- the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
                DoppleBock

Hi

www.barcelonamarato.es

I will try

10km 38'20''

HM 1h 23' 45''

M 3h 06' 26''

Best wishes

www.runningandthigs.blogspot.com

You definately have the speed ... might need to increase you mileage a bit.

Welcome!

jordirio

Your 10k and half PRs are both 2 seconds faster than mine, so following that logic you should run a 2:58:11 in your marathon!

Thank alan

congrats for your PR in Chicago¡¡

10km 38'19''

HM 1h22'07''

M 2h58'44'' 

jordirio

You definately have the speed ... might need to increase you mileage a bit.

Welcome!

sure

i need more mileage

10km 38'19''

HM 1h22'07''

M 2h58'44'' 

I did the silly Yasso 800 workout yesterday.  Averaged about 2:57/800 with about 2:40/400 recovery.   The repeats for the 3:00 Yasso are actually just about at my recent 5k pace.

I think I'm all set for Santa Barbara on 12/06.  <crossing fingers>

Are we there yet?

Ok last minute marathon shopping has gotten me a ticket to the Baton Rouge Marathon 12/5.

I'd love to say I could run a neg split or even Bhearn'esk Boston splits but I seem to tail off at the end.

Any thoughts on this gameplan:

10 miles @ 6:42 = 1:07

10 miles @ 6:48 = 1:08

20 mile mark @ 2:15

Leaves me with 44:59 in the bank for the last 10K (7:15 per mi) - if I'm feeling it then that should be easy and I will go big sub 3, if not, I can hold on for that 2:59:59.

DoppleBock

I think as long as you are not straining in the 1st 10 or 2nd 10 it would be fine.  I think 1:07 for the 1st 10 miles of the marathon is not too fast for you - but again it should be comfortable.  

Good luck 

Ok last minute marathon shopping has gotten me a ticket to the Baton Rouge Marathon 12/5.

I'd love to say I could run a neg split or even Bhearn'esk Boston splits but I seem to tail off at the end.

Any thoughts on this gameplan:

10 miles @ 6:42 = 1:07

10 miles @ 6:48 = 1:08

20 mile mark @ 2:15

Leaves me with 44:59 in the bank for the last 10K (7:15 per mi) - if I'm feeling it then that should be easy and I will go big sub 3, if not, I can hold on for that 2:59:59.

DoppleBock

Good luck tot he Gopher in SoCal 

I did the silly Yasso 800 workout yesterday.  Averaged about 2:57/800 with about 2:40/400 recovery.   The repeats for the 3:00 Yasso are actually just about at my recent 5k pace.

Hey Ryan, I didn't realize any others from RA were doing Santa Barbara. Say hi if you see me. I'm fairly tall, quite bald and look like my pic. I heard there may be a 3:00 pace group so if there is I'll probably be lining up just behind them. Did you see the course walk through (actually a run through) here? Got my last long run in today and it actually felt okay even after racing yesterday. Time to taper down a bit...

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.