Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Good Luck to you Norrin, I'll look for you at the start line.  I plan on chatting with the 3:00 pacer at the start to see what his race plan is.  If it jives with my strategy, I'll hop into that group...if nothing else but for a windbreak!  If not, I'll run my own race.    

Yes, I saw that blog.  It was useful.  Ive run part of the bike path part of the course in the Semana Nautica race. 

See you there, howabout we'll meet early to do twenty-five sets of stairs at the city college track before catching the bus, right?  Need to warmup!

Happy tapers...

Actually, I have a taper question for those in this thread who have done <3hr.

What did you do to taper?  I've done every kind of taper possible, from not running at all for two weeks due to an injury, to training through and using the race as a training run.   When Ive tried to PR, I mostly have done a standard 2-week taper. 

However,

Due to a minor injury 3 weeks ago, I've kindof crammed for this race and haven't done much running at marathon goal pace.  Im thinking of doing the following for a taper.   I feel like I need some MP running in the next 2 weeks to tune up and get comfortable, but I also want the benefits of a taper.  Chime in and tell me I'm stupid.

today - 3 easy

tues - off

wed - 6 easy

thurs - 6 easy

fri - 6 mi, 4 at MP

Sat - 6 easy

Sun - 8, 6 at MP

Mon - 4 easy

Tues - 6 mi, 4 at MP

Wed - 4 easy

Thurs - 4, 2 at MP

Fri - off

Sat - 3 easy

Sun -Race

DoppleBock

Close but ... fail

I am not sure if I could have broken 3, but I had to show the hills the respect they deserved or I may have inploded.

1st 10 miles in 1:09:57

2nd 10 miles in 1:09:31

last 10k in 41:18

Total 3:00:46 - I walked 2 of the hills - Some with Garmins daid short - Others who run the area all the time say Garmins will not read accurately with all the trees?

Either way ... Nice race - lots of fun

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

You're a beast D Bock. From what I've heard about the Monkey anything within shouting distance of 3 hrs is a monster race. You'd think that all those hills would put a damper on your metronome pacing but not a problem I see.

This should have you toughened up for a big try at 2:45 in Feb. Well done.

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            DB - that's a great performance on an ugly course.  Now you need to go find something flat (or preferably downhill!) and run a 2:40.....
            - the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com

The King of Beasts

I was there.

Dopple was VERY strong coming in from mile 24 to the finish.  Good work.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

I was there.

My wife told me about your finish.  THAT is how you run a race my man.  

DLJ

Awesome run DB. Good luck with the ongoing training for a sub 2:45.

Dwane

DoppleBock

Thanks - Legs were trashed yesterday - 1st no run day in awhile - today they hurt but are runnable.

FYI - Another One would have taken it to the house ahead of me, but his glycogen was gone @ mile 24 and I finally caught back up @ 1 mile to go - He is gonna rock his marathon in a few weeks.

Since I could not run last night I had a few beers ... 6 of them to be exact Smile

The Monkey is not like any other race that I have done - I truly shuffled up the hills and blasted my quads on the downs.  I am sure there was some, but I do not remember getting to run on flat ground and just groove.  So there is no rythm to be had - I just kept thinking "Survive" until mile 20 or 21.

But ... I do think it was only 6-8 minutes slower than a normal marathon

DoppleBock

Actually, I have a taper question for those in this thread who have done <3hr.

What did you do to taper?  I've done every kind of taper possible, from not running at all for two weeks due to an injury, to training through and using the race as a training run.   When Ive tried to PR, I mostly have done a standard 2-week taper. 

3rd week is full mileage - normal workouts, but I make sure I always leave a little in the tank - no hero workouts

2nd week out - 70-80% Mileage - Workouts @ 70-80% distance.  So if I usually do 5x5 minutes @ 5k pace, I will do 4x5 minutes again no hero workouts.

week of race 35-45% mileage pre-race - 2 easy workouts (1 LAT - maybe 3x5-6 minutes and 1 Vo2 max - maybe 3x3 minutes)

I just did a marathon this Sunday - You can look at my log to see what I did - Just FYI - Saturday Nov 14 impromptu speed workout was a stupid mistake

DoppleBock

My wife told me about your finish.  THAT is how you run a race my man.  

I would agree - when Another one (A1) hit the wall he pushed it past most humans ability to push it - But we already knew he was a beast!

DoppleBock

7 ... Jim Howe (M63)
                          10K - 39:29 - 11/21
                          Age Grade - 86.84%

I am sure you have made Pete's 15 minutes of fame baord many times, but congrats

bhearn

Congrats to DB and Jim!

I was also at the Monkey; I ran a 3:29:25. Which was just great; I'm basically in 3:15 - 3:20 shape now (though I may try to go faster at CIM), and that seems about the right time penalty. I LOVED this course, and really everything about the event. I'm gonna have to do it again. I managed not to walk any hills, due largely to bad memory: I was going to allow myself to walk the M24 hill, but I remembered it starting at M24. Instead it ended at M24. So when I got to M24... I just ran it in.

Somehow, I was 3rd master (DB was first); I got a stuffed, hand-crocheted flying monkey! Passed the (then) third master in the last mile. Glad I didn't walk.

Nice efforts DB, another one & bhearn - the monkey sounds painful.
                              bhearn

So who's in for CIM? I'll be there.