Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I LOVED this course, and really everything about the event.

Thanks! Good job there.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Close but ... fail

I am not sure if I could have broken 3, but I had to show the hills the respect they deserved or I may have inploded.

1st 10 miles in 1:09:57

2nd 10 miles in 1:09:31

last 10k in 41:18

Total 3:00:46 - I walked 2 of the hills - Some with Garmins daid short - Others who run the area all the time say Garmins will not read accurately with all the trees?

Either way ... Nice race - lots of fun

Good job DB!  And Monkey is monkey distance.  I must ask: did those whose Garmins showed a short distance keep on running after the finish line?

I thought not.

bhearn

I must ask: did those whose Garmins showed a short distance keep on running after the finish line?

Ah, no. FWIW my Garmin read 25.7. But I'm not complaining.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wow, that is really short.  I usually hear that they read 25.9-26.1.
          bhearn

At least you're clear that the course is not certified. As opposed to Newport, which was evidently .4 miles short for 10 years, and regularly turned in some quite amazing PRs. They even still cite in their FAQ a "world record" set on their short course:

"Herb Phillips of Burnaby B.C., Canada ran a 2:47:28 in 2004 breaking the single age World Record for 63 year old males of 2:48:11 set by Clive Davies in 1979. Told you the course was fast! Way to go Herb!"

Herb is quite an amazing runner, but this is unfair to Davies.

I would expect garmins to have problems with that course more because of all the twists and turns and 180's than the trees.

But hey it's still a bitch either way.

Runners run

kcam

So who's in for CIM? I'll be there.

RA'ers that may be running include JimHowe (not decided yet but sounds not probable) and Geo Runner (the artist formerly known as "gcklo").  Geo is shooting for ~3:10, I believe.  The entries for CIM are closed otherwise I'd probably run it so instead I'll run the Bah Humbug 5K in San Ramon on Saturday.  Certified, flat and fast.

If JH runs CIM I will probably drive up and try to be at the 1/2 point and at the finish, so if I go I'll look for you and throw a few cheers and maybe a gel or two at ya!  You wearing your marathon maniacs yellow singlet?  What time will you go for?

Good luck, Bob

bhearn

If JH runs CIM I will probably drive up and try to be at the 1/2 point and at the finish, so if I go I'll look for you and throw a few cheers and maybe a gel or two at ya!  You wearing your marathon maniacs yellow singlet?  What time will you go for?

Good luck, Bob

Thanks. Yep, maniac yellow, unless it's really cold. I'll probably pace for about 3:15. I was thinking 3:10, but I don't think that's realistic, with the weight I've put on. I'd appreciate the cheers, but I'll pass on the gels!

kcam

Thanks. Yep, maniac yellow, unless it's really cold. I'll probably pace for about 3:15. I was thinking 3:10, but I don't think that's realistic, with the weight I've put on. I'd appreciate the cheers, but I'll pass on the gels!

I'm still gonna throw 'em so you better be ready to duck cuz I'm a good aim!

DoppleBock

Good job DB!  And Monkey is monkey distance.  I must ask: did those whose Garmins showed a short distance keep on running after the finish line?

I thought not.

I had run a warmup so I was good.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I might run CIM but won't decide until Friday. I got a comp entry from placing in old man's division of Pac Series last year so I sent my entry in just in case. I'm injury free and feeling pretty fit but have a couple other things going that are causing me to put off decision until last minute.

Good luck to you Bob and George if I don't see you there

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

I hope to see you there too.

I might run CIM but won't decide until Friday. I got a comp entry from placing in old man's division of Pac Series last year so I sent my entry in just in case. I'm injury free and feeling pretty fit but have a couple other things going that are causing me to put off decision until last minute.

kcam

I  like how you try to play this down!  Getting comp'd based on placing in your division is a helluva accomplishment - especially in Pacific series. Getting a comp entry is a couple leagues above most of us on this board, I would think.  Good luck if you run CIM.

Have fun at at the CIM George & Bob, Good Luck.

Jim, I had a feeling you might give this a pop if you were feeling good close to the time, all the best if you do decide to run.

Thanks guys. Unless things take a turn for the worse between now and Sunday I'll be lining up at CIM. My basic strategy is to try for something in 3:05-3:08 range without jeopardizing 3:10. This will mean a very conservative beginning and pretty much giving up on anything faster.

Have a great run in Santa Barbara, John. I have a strong feeling you're going to enjoy yourself a  lot more than you did up in Cowtown. 

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33